• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys this might be a dumb question, but am looking around on gunbroker and see some stuff I'm interested in. So just to get the steps right, I buy the gun and talk to my local gun shop and inform them they will be receiving a transfer or is there something I need from them to give to the seller. Also do I pay FFL fees twice? This is my first time buying a gun online and I'm just kinda confused. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Your FFL will need to provide the seller with a copy of his FFL license.
    Some will accept this by email or fax.
    You should only pay FFL fees on your end.
    Find a shop in your area that you like, or better yet, who like you, and have it sent there.

Be aware, some FFL's will NOT accept a transfer from a private party.
    Ask questions BEFORE you bid, and make sure you know the shipping costs before you bid as well.
    Once you've won the auction (or hit "buy now" you have entered a contract to buy.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Gunbroker has a list of FFLs that you can search.
    Pick one and call them. They’ll be happy to walk you through the process, which might vary a bit from FFL to FFL.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    In the long run, getting your own FFL can be more cost effective.

Not necessarily.
    It has cost me a bit of time and effort, but has more than paid off in the long run.
    I went in and introduced myself as soon as I became aware of the shop.
    I then made a point to stop back on a regular basis, just to "see what they had", and to chat.
    I made a few small purchases of ammo, or scopes...
    after a bit I offered my services as a contractor, if they needed help.

I have become a "permanent fixture" in at least 2 shops in my home town.
    I haven't paid transfer fees for anything for the past several years.
    I won't say how many, but let's just say I've saved enough in transfer fees in the past 10 years to pay for 3 or 4 firearms.

I now routinely get reduced prices at one shop, and dealer prices at the other.
    Just last year I went to buy a bolt-action rifle.
    My "dealer price" shop owner was trying to keep my costs as low as possible. So much so, I had to remind him to charge me sales tax!

You know what, you may be right after all.
    After typing all of that I realized how much time and effort I DO have into this endeavor, but I wouldn't change a thing.
    I've met some great people, get great prices and resources, and stay current in a pastime I enjoy.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have bought from GB multiple times. Easy-Peasy. I just have my FFL fax a copy of their SIGNED FFL to the GB seller. Once I have paid the GB seller for the firearm. They send it(firearm) directly to my FFL. I then pay MY FFL a small fee for the use of their FFL,time and trouble because remember they have to receive your firearm and log it in to their books, then do the 4473 paperwork when you come to pick it up. All of this work on a gun that did not come from their shop and they are not making $$ on it as a sale. One thing I might suggest to maybe form a friendship with your chosen FFL. Is once you pick up your firearm from them...buy a box or two of ammo from them. Kind of a "Thank You" if you will. That is what I have done with my FFL and half the time he does not even charge me a fee for a transfer. Well.. good luck.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    In the long run, getting your own FFL can be more cost effective.

Even better is talking your neighbor into getting his!

Realistically, though, this is bad advice for the vast majority of people. You need at least 3 transfers every year to break even, and that's before you start taking into account compliance costs. I'm sure I'm in the top 10% of gun owners as far as purchasing firearms (as is likely every member of INGO), but I have never had 3 guns shipped to me in the same year.

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    My first online gun purchase was a doozy. I bought the twelve revolver S&W set from Jim Supica around 2005. Had them shipped to Kiesler's, now Orion's, and they charged me $100 to transfer all 12. Took about 30-45 minutes but was a smooth deal and I never heard a word about a multiple gun transfer.

The only problems I've ever had is buying from an individual who forgets to enclose a copy of his dl so now I make sure to hammer that point home if I buy from an individual.

As far as an ffl license, no way I'd want a dealers license. I do keep a C&R and recommend them if 50 yr old + is where your interests lie. I'm fortunate to have Rick at Falls City Firearms about 5 miles away so modern transfers are no sweat.

Top Bottom