• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marines Set to Field New Designated Marksman Rifle

Amidst a slew of new equipment coming down the pipeline for U.S. Marines is a new designated marksman rifle. The M38 scoped rifle is designed to give Marine infantry squads the ability to hit individual targets at ranges of up to 600 meters with greater precision than Marines equipped with ordinary M4 carbines. According to Marine Corps Times the rifle will be fully issued by September 2018.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This confuses me. Equipped with an M16A4, topped with an ACOG, most marines I knew could effectively engage man-sized targets at 600M. Of course, most of the guys I've known were trained on iron sights, a practice that has been abandoned, I understand.

Seems like this is the age we live in. A lack of basic competency is addressed with technology/equipment. Man, I am really starting to feel old...

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Take an optic you already had, put it on the rifle you just bought, call it a new DMR.

Wondering whether the Marines will keep them supplied with Mk262 and zero the optics accordingly, or just give them the same ammo as everyone else.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    This confuses me. Equipped with an M16A4, topped with an ACOG, most marines I knew could effectively engage man-sized targets at 600M. Of course, most of the guys I've known were trained on iron sights, a practice that has been abandoned, I understand.

Seems like this is the age we live in. A lack of basic competency is addressed with technology/equipment. Man, I am really starting to feel old...
    I know what you mean. I had my 3rd award bar for my Expert Badge when I was in the Corps (long time ago), and irons were all we used. Sometimes, I think Americans are too "gear happy".

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I know what you mean. I had my 3rd award bar for my Expert Badge when I was in the Corps (long time ago), and irons were all we used. Sometimes, I think Americans are too "gear happy".

Right? Not to be misunderstood - I love me some gear as much as the next guy. However, find me a jarhead who values equipment over skill and I'll show you someone I do not intend to share a foxhole with...

Top Bottom