Travel to Indianapolis. Where to go, or not go for safety?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Girlfriend wants to take a trip to Indianapolis this weekend. What are the safer places to go and get a hotel. Taking a 9 year old too, so we will try to find something recreational to do. I will carry my handgun, but I would rather stay in the safer places so I don't need to use it....

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Indy is safe unless you are a criminal... of the 120 some murders, over 80% was reated in some way to another crime.

The majority of the crime against random strangers is petty property crime and retail theft.

The IMPD INGOers will be along soon to confirm.

Avoid the areas around both 42nd and Post Rd and 30th and Rural... those are the homicide hotspots.

Safe places:
    Downtown
    Children's Museum
    Indianapolis Zoo
    Arts Museum
    State Museum
    Indianapolis Motor Speedway
    Speedway (town)
    Broad Ripple (stay mostly sober and aware)
    Castleton
    Carmel
    Fishers
    Noblesville
    Zionsville
    Avon
    Greenwood

If you are feeling really adventurous, check out the shampoo isle of the Beech Grove Walmart... It's a world(star) famous tourist attraction.

Last edited:

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I would also avoid the Brightwood area around 25th and Keystone, but there isn't really anything recreational there. 38th and Lafayette isn't a great spot either. Downtown will be a mess on Saturday due to the Mini. I guess where you stay would really depend on what you are looking to do. I hear the Eiteljorg museum has a neat exhibit on Western films right now, but it is down by where the Mini is taking place.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    The hotels downtown around the convention center are going to be safe places to stay. The Northside hotels and the airport hotels are mostly in good areas.

For the most part anything in Indy is at most a 30 minute drive from almost anything else in Indy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Downtown (the mile square, center is the circle) is pretty safe area for being big city metro area. I'd say inside 465 from west to east and between 10th up to 38th street north to south is pretty shadey. I'd walk around downtown at night with my family. I would not walk around any inch of 30th street with my kid in tow, except the children's museum. Go a couple blocks from the museum and you're in the hood.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As I recall the Children's Museum is a GFZ because of a day care. Probably safe but not ideal to carry.

And the State Museum is also a statutory GFZ. (though IANAL, penalties for this vs Childrens museum are far less if you gamble and conceal)

Childrens museum isnt bad though. Not a good neighborhood, but you can park in the adjacent garage and walk the skyway to avoid any locals on your way to the museum.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    You also have the zoo. But on Saturday, you won't be able to get to it until about 11:00AM because of the Mini-Marathon.

The War Memorial is also an awesome place to visit. Don't miss the museum in the basement.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Stay away from the zoo! They're a bunch of freaking animals in there!!!:scared: And if you visit the speedway you'll feel like you're just going in circles!!:runaway: And for some reason, every time I visit the airport I feel like I just want to take off.:lmfao:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You pretty much have the run of the city. People aren't going to bother you. Use common sense. If a place looks sketch, avoid it. There's not a single place in Indy that I've ever been afraid of being. Indy isn't Chicago or Detroit. There are no legitimate "no go" zones.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You pretty much have the run of the city. People aren't going to bother you. Use common sense. If a place looks sketch, avoid it. There's not a single place in Indy that I've ever been afraid of being. Indy isn't Chicago or Detroit. There are no legitimate "no go" zones.

Exactly. Anywhere there is a family oriented activity it will be good to go. The mini will have the downtown area screwed up for a while on Saturday.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They have metal detectors but don't use them all the time.

Are you advocating carrying in a school?

Because the Indianapolis Children's Museum is a school. Rather - there's a school that operates on the premises.

I hope you already have your hotel reservation/s made. As said up thread - the Indy Mini Marathon is this weekend. That's 35k + people who are gonna be downtown from dawn to past noon. Gonna make parking really fun, too. Traffic patterns will also be messed up due to road closures.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Heres advice I've got from cops that actualy work down there;
    Dont be downtown after dark unarmed. Or even Armed more than you have to. Deffinately not around the circle.

Ignore the people who wanna stop you and ask you questions like do you have a light or beg. That's the first way to get set up to be robbed.

Top Bottom