• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    I am seriously self aware every day about carrying and the people i notice looking at me when i open carry, on 1 hand it doesn't bother me like the way it did when i first carried my firearm but more and more i can physically see people looking at me with this "why does he have a gun look?" And it makes me question our society and why people are still not accustom to seeing people carrying a firearm. What is the mindset difference today from when there was cowboys and everyone had a firearm on there hip? I just don't get it....anybody have any thoughts on this? Or am i overthinking a little? When i was younger, i wasn't raised around firearms nor shot any until i was about 18 or so..and now since i have my LTCH and do it properly, or what i think is proper in my mind and do dillegence in going to the range, practicing dry fire techniques at home and breaking down my personal firearms and assembling them, so that i know how they work. Sorry for the rambling, im just trying to figure why a lot of people don't understand i want the right to protect myself and my family.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I think you’re overthinking it mostly. I always look at people I notice carrying, but it isn’t a “why is he carrying a gun” look, it’s a “what kind of gun is he carrying” look. I like those who open carry, I personally don’t do it for my personal reasons, but if you are going to occasional looks and looney tune comments are part of it. Use it as a opening to educate people, or ignore it and go about your day. They choose to wear pajamas to Walmart at 6pm, I choose to wear a gun.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Because it puts you in the minority. There's nothing wrong with that but it is what it is. With all the crime happening these days it's makes people uneasy and rightfully so. They just don't understand it like you do and remember, they don't know you. Carry on....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    nd it makes me question our society and why people are still not accustom to seeing people carrying a firearm.

Because of the urban normalization of the population. Kids in the Midwest shuffling about in flip flops like they see in The OC. People don't see guns on television so think people carrying them are up to no good or cops.

What is the mindset difference today from when there was cowboys and everyone had a firearm on there hip

Cowboys did not carry guns. Most of the big employers forbade the carrying of firearms, minus a shotgun in the chuck wagon.

As well, over a third of cowboys were African-American or Hispanic in some outfits so employers were not keen to allow racial minorities to carry weapons.

I just don't get it....anybody have any thoughts on this?

The cultural norm has shifted over 200 years.

In 1820 the Indiana General Assembly prohibited the carrying of concealed weapons. This was in line with the Southern attitude that concealed weapons were for the dishonest and cowardly. Honest men carried openly.

Up to 40% of Indiana's early population was Southern (the "Butternuts" as Lincoln described them).

Now the cultural norm is to hide weapons least Jared, Seth or Noah see a gun and burst into flame.

do it properly, or what i think is proper in my mind and do dillegence in going to the range, practicing dry fire techniques at home and breaking down my personal firearms and assembling them, so that i know how they work

Properly means education. Informal and formal instruction.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Up to 40% of Indiana's early population was Southern (the "Butternuts" as Lincoln described them).

While a territory it was way higher than that....But after the "year without a summer" there was a large influx of New England folk that came down river....My maternal side were a part of that....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

The crop failures of the "Year without a Summer" may have helped shape the settling of the "American Heartland", as many thousands of people (particularly farm families who were wiped out by the event) left New England for western New York and the Northwest Territory in search of a more hospitable climate, richer soil, and better growing conditions.[SUP][29][/SUP]Indiana became a state in December 1816 and Illinois two years later.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Perhaps you could wear a T-shirt that says, " Don't Stare, Ask me why I carry a gun" should create opportunities to educate people.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When I open carry, it seems to be that the vast majority of people don't even notice, but then again, why should things be any different just because I happen to be open carrying.

For the few that do notice, most don't give a second glance, a few seem to have a positive reaction, and I've even received some positive comments. I can only remember one lady leering at me with a death stare. I looked back just long enough to let her know I saw her, and then went on about my business.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I tend to notice OC only because the ones I’ve seen are carrying in the cheapest piece of **** nylon rag they could attach to their braided leather belt. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone outside of obvious LE open carrying?

Top Bottom