• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I saw this story on one of the local news stations on FB this morning. The gun grabbers were out in force...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll speculate no holster or holster that doesn't fully protect the trigger, a striker fired gun, and a foreign object.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A hole in the gym floor and a twisted ankle, thankfully that was it.

Time for a critical review of what we know (gun went boom, hole in floor, all 4 rules, Jeff Cooper would not be pleased)

I'm going out on a limb and stating there was a 99.999999999999999999999999999% chance this individual was carrying a modern firearm that allows safe carry with a chambered round and not a Colt SAA (AKA Peacemaker).

Further out on the limb: the holster was NOT the $10 floppy nylon variety much maligned here on INGO.

Was the gymnasium on fire? This could cause a round to "cook off". No fire, OK moving along.

I think I've identified the root cause of the ND: NOT KEEPING YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AND NOT KEEPING IT IN THE HOLSTER!!!

I'm done, any questions or comments?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I can not for the life of me think of any legitimate reason to unholster your weapon in a school gymnasium unless you are needing to shoot someone. Maybe something came up that required that to be done that I am overlooking...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'll speculate no holster or holster that doesn't fully protect the trigger, a striker fired gun, and a foreign object.

Are there regs on off-duty carry (minimum caliber, method of carry, ammunition) and if yes, is every department different? I think I know the answer since this is da guhbuhment(s).

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    No details spells out gun-grabber crowd on the prowl. Pure negligence on part of the individual, I assume. I hope that is not the case.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are there regs on off-duty carry (minimum caliber, method of carry, ammunition) and if yes, is every department different? I think I know the answer since this is da guhbuhment(s).

Yes, but a department can't mandate what an officer carries off duty, only what he carries while (for lack of a better term) "officially representing" the department.

If I'm off the clock (both department and private using police authority), driving my own personal vehicle, not in uniform...then I can carry whatever I like. IMPD doesn't authorize 1911s, but if I meet the above criteria I can carry one off duty. If I want to drive my police car, work a part-time job, etc. then I have to abide by authorized weapon requirements.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Since we're making SWAGs, maybe this was another incident like at the officer's funeral here. Something got into a holster that didn't completely cover the trigger guard?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Guns can discharge without fingers on triggers?

If only someone on INGO had instilled this knowledge in us. If only.

Sure, they can if it's some sort of foreign element but it's still 'pulling' the trigger hence gun working as designed. It's the whole it just went off that's usually nonsense.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I found this article about the incident stating the person had a revolver in their pocket that somehow discharged. This statement makes it even more negligent imo. Not sure if there was a pocket holster but doesn't sound like it.

That bullet could have went in any direction. Thankfully this story doesn't read differently.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...-wrestling-tournament-at-michigan-high-school

Fake news, we're supposed to believe a small revolver with probably a 10lb DA trigger pull went off in a pocket? Or is someone just using the word revolver without knowing really what it means?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sure, they can if it's some sort of foreign element but it's still 'pulling' the trigger hence gun working as designed. It's the whole it just went off that's usually nonsense.

I have had a mechanical failure which caused the gun to go off. Hammer follow and bang. Scared the hell out of me. I would call that an AD.
    Had a total brain fart some time back and caused the gun to go bang. I would label that on ND caused by dumb ass.
    Both were free from human injuries thank the powers that be.
    It does happen. Unfortunately.

Top Bottom