Taking out Varmint/rodent within South Bend city limits.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Comiskeybum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2017
    South Bend
    I cant find anything via google search. i have heard that a reckless discharge such as shooting into the air for the 4th of july and stupid stuff like that would warrant a fine of 2500 bucks. But what about if you use a .410 or a 22 to take out coons and other varmint/rodents? If anyone can offer any insight I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I cant find anything via google search. i have heard that a reckless discharge such as shooting into the air for the 4th of july and stupid stuff like that would warrant a fine of 2500 bucks. But what about if you use a .410 or a 22 to take out coons and other varmint/rodents? If anyone can offer any insight I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    You might use a box-type "live trap" and then shoot them inside the trap after moving it into a garage where the sound will be muffled

Comiskeybum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2017
    South Bend
    You might use a box-type "live trap" and then shoot them inside the trap after moving it into a garage where the sound will be muffled

Was hoping to avoid having to wait and trap them. I could try a high velocity air rifle but seeing as how I already have the Governor that shoots .410....LOL

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)

Nope, first it's the SBPD for Reckless Discarce, Discharge of a Firearm inside City Limits and anything else they can add on. Second Indiana Conservation Officer, Hunting out of Season, No Hunting License ect, ect, ect. Live Trap and Relocate.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Nope, first it's the SBPD for Reckless Discarce, Discharge of a Firearm inside City Limits and anything else they can add on. Second Indiana Conservation Officer, Hunting out of Season, No Hunting License ect, ect, ect. Live Trap and Relocate.
    He was talking about 'varmints'. Maybe disposing of racoons etc that are around your home--not to mention in your crawl space or attic--might not be covered by hunting season regs? In any case, relocating them just makes somebody else's problem...if they don't come back to your place.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Small%5FCarl%20Spackler%205%2Ejpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've trapped them then blasted them in the garage first thing in the morning. Sometimes I would throw the trap in the back of the truck and blast them and pitch them in the ditch on my way to work. Don't forget to put down some cardboard because they crap all over.

Bow also works nice when you have to be really stealthy. If you have a .22 check out the super colibri ammo. Works great inside of 30 yards. No need to buy another gun if you can use something you already have.

Yet another good way is to dunk the trap in a barrel of water to drown them . Or to stick an old duffle bag over the trap and start up the truck and gas them.......lots of options..............lived in town all my life

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you have a PITA or PETA neighbor you may find animal cruelty charges (and many of the others listed above)...they'll dial 911 before you can lower your weapon. Also, there's the "I've been traumatized, my children will be scared for life" civil angle. I have seen these people before.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    South Bend hates guns of any kind. They have those gun shot detectors there. As you point out, you know there are laws on discharging a firearm in the city limits. I am really not sure what you are asking. Call the mayor and ask if you can release anything you catch at his office.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    South Bend hates guns of any kind. They have those gun shot detectors there. As you point out, you know there are laws on discharging a firearm in the city limits. I am really not sure what you are asking. Call the mayor and ask if you can release anything you catch at his office.

Why ask? :dunno: It's obliviously approved...just take in during office hours and release it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Do not relocate unless it's underground. A small stock tank will hold though rainwater to completely submerge a Hav-a-hart live trap. Hold it down untill the bubbles stop. Bag the coon and out with the garbage or into a local dumpster.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Not legal advice, BUT, SBPD doesn't care about gun shots unless a person is injured. If someone's house gets shot up, but no one is hit, they report it as a vandalism. Criminal Mischief. So the chances of even being questioned in relation to firing a gun in city limits is very low. If they do come out and find out it was you, the chance of you actually being charged with anything is also very low. I would think the likely case is a local ordinance violation, but there's a good chance you won't even get that. Even if you get criminally charged, the chance that St. Joseph County will actually prosecute you is exponentially low.

That's just how South Bend and SJ County work. I don't know if it's worth the risk or possible hassle, but I would be truly shocked if you caught charges for that.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The live trap and either swimming lessons or the .22 pistol work great.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

Top Bottom