• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I’ve noticed a trend in my tastes the last few years. When I first started buying and shooting, all things being equal, I was drawn to blacked out “tacticool” weapons. Now a days I look for wood, warmth, hints of craftsmanship when looking one over. If it’s for a specific purpose I will look for an all black, matte, or camo version of one if it’s a strictly utilitarian hunter. I really noticed it here lately. I’ve gotten into turkey hunting and was researching SG’s with a 3.5” chamber. I stumbled across Browning’s website and was able to comparw their A5’s on one page.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yup. Black anodized or painted aluminum and plastic will never compare to blued chrome moly tool steel and fine wood. For the last 30 years everything I have bought is steel and wood and I'm glad I got them when they plentiful and affordable. Good luck on the turkey birds. Them things are tough to get close to. But there's nothing like sitting out in the woods and watching the sun come up and hear the birds start waking up and dropping from the trees. Makes you feel alive. I used to live down on Lake Monroe and every morning I could sit on my deck drinking coffee and see 10 or 12 turkeys strutting through the yard. We had to keep the garage closed up because the stupid deer would go in it. One tried to walk in the front door one night as I took some trash out. He was standing right outside the door when I opened it. I think we both scared the crap out of each other. I slammed the door in his face. Fun.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I tend to lean toward the blue metal and wood look myself, but I find it's safe to have a variety. Blue steel and wood is fine looking for sure, but when plastic get's scratched it's not a big deal. Depends what you're planning to use them for. I like them all.

This was my last purchase, a Ruger 450 bushmaster. Had to pay a little extra for the wood stock and traditional Ruger action:
    DSC01102_zpsbodpi9hc.jpg

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I was a kid all I wanted as a lever action rifle.
    I didn't even know what caliber. Whatever Lucas McCain was carrying. LOL

I grew up, a bit, and my first rifle was a Marlin model Glenfield 60 with the "Squirrel stock". Wish I still had that one.
    Next I bought a Mossberg 500 in 12ga. Wood furniture and blued metal.
    Aged a bit more, nut not really grown up any more, I started looking at bolt actions, then AR's, then Mil-Surp's.

I lean heavily toward wood and steel, but some synthetics can be nice under the right circumstances.
    I even have a couple of rifles with laminate stocks that I really like.
    One is a new Mossberg model 464 in.30-30.
    This took it's first buck with less than a dozen rounds down the pipe and it shoots to point of aim.
    I must caveat the above with the following disclosure.
    The shot that took that buck was at a whopping 25 yards.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I’ve noticed a trend in my tastes the last few years. When I first started buying and shooting, all things being equal, I was drawn to blacked out “tacticool” weapons. Now a days I look for wood, warmth, hints of craftsmanship when looking one over. If it’s for a specific purpose I will look for an all black, matte, or camo version of one if it’s a strictly utilitarian hunter. I really noticed it here lately. I’ve gotten into turkey hunting and was researching SG’s with a 3.5” chamber. I stumbled across Browning’s website and was able to comparw their A5’s on one page.

The older I get. I find that my taste have changed as well with regard to my firearm taste. I was not exactly in to “tacticool”, but military mil-surp and military small arms. I find now that I am more drawn to blued steel and walnut, and lever actions which I have always loved. Guess watching the old cowboy shows like Bonanza and the Rifleman as a kid fostered my love for lever actions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The older I get. I find that my taste have changed as well with regard to my firearm taste. I was not exactly in to “tacticool”, but military mil-surp and military small arms. I find now that I am more drawn to blued steel and walnut, and lever actions which I have always loved. Guess watching the old cowboy shows like Bonanza and the Rifleman as a kid fostered my love for lever actions.

My tastes have changed as well.
    In the mid/late 70's I had many Milsurp pieces. They were all top shelf and just a joy to shoot. Divorce lost those to me. It took a long time to get back into the game. When I did it was what the current military was using at that time and the AR and associated platforms filled the bill for me. They are easier to modify and no loss as to screwing with a collectible.
    I have many times considered getting a few of the wood framed pieces back in the safe but after the original loss it is just not the same for many reasons. I will stay on my current path.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    The older I get, I realize I am not able to carry (at one time) all that I thought I was once able to. Knowing that, much will be left behind.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    #Me Too
    Yes my tastes have changed as well, I look past the small flaws of women and appreciate their beauty in different ways.
    As far as firearms go, I have finally after all these years warmed up to Glocks, I still like pretty 1911's better than the G.I. 1911's with horrible sights and that God awful parkerized finish.
    Still love Tactical Weapons, I also have a love for nice Smith revolvers and classic Marlin lever guns (the actual Marlins, not the Remlins).
    Went through a Mil-Surp phase as well, had some really nice M1 Garands, still have some nice M1A's (Walnut and Blued).
    I don't hate Stainless either, some do, I don't.

I also learned to appreciate FDE guns, as long as they are two toned, don't care for the all FDE look.
    Same goes of OD Green, and other colors.

It is an ever evolving hobby that can go many different directions.
    My taste buds have changed too, I now eat and appreciate a nice Salmon filet.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "The older I get, the better I was". Saw it on a t-shirt at a senior softball tournament a few years ago. My taste in guns hasn't changed. I've tried a few ARs and still have one but just can't make myself like 'em more than bolt guns. That's due, at least in part, to the type of shooting we do. I don't shoot just to hear the gun go bang and I have no desire to join the most bullets per minute club. If you do, OK by me. Just don't ask me to. I even convert most of our center fire bolt guns to single shot. I don't want anything called tactical and marketing something as such pretty much guarantees I wont buy it. If that floats your boat, good for you. I'm not asking you to agree with me and don't mind if you disagree. Just saying one size does not fit all.

And, I will never wear camo to a gun show! :):

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I haven't seen anyone mention a change in caliber preferences yet. In my younger days I seemed to seek out anything that was deadly on both ends. 10 gauge shotguns, 458 Winchester, 500 and 600 nitro in rifles, and nothing smaller than a 41 mag in a handgun. When Steve Herrett and J D Jones started extending the limits of the TC Contender I was all about it and had to try every one. Nowadays I seem to enjoy small bore, easier on the body rounds mostly due to physical changes brought on by increasing age.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    20 gauge feels good don't it brother...:)
    That little 20 double is more brutal than my old 1906 Star Leader 12 double ever thought of being. :cool: That's OK since I don't plan on using either all day like I do the ARs and my 1911s.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom