• Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Synopsis:
    [COLOR=#999999 !important]Added: May 02, 2018 3:37 pm[/COLOR]

The US Army Contracting Command-New Jersey (ACC-NJ) on behalf of the Project Manager Soldier Weapons (PM SW), is issuing this Request for Information (RFI) to obtain information and feedback from industry regarding Sub Compact Weapons (SCW). These systems will require a potential contractor to be able to supply all components for the SCW to include the weapon and accessories.
    The Government is seeking the following information for planning purposes only.

I. General
    1. Delivery schedule of SCW to include but not limited to functional weapon, magazines, cleaning kits, suppressors, specialized tool kit (if required), spare parts, slings, carrying cases, manuals.

II. Ammunition for SCW - Compatibility with 9x19 mm military grade will be required.

III. Sub Compact Weapon - The SCW will be a full/semi-automatic selectable variant that has a MIL-STD 1913 rail (Picatinny Rail).
    1. Given the conditions above, how many proposals (SCW systems) would you consider submitting?
    2. Given the possible submissions that the vendor may decide to submit please provide technical information for each sub compact weapon.
    a) Will your sub compact weapon be ambidextrous?
    b) What safety testing has been conducted on your sub compact weapon system?
    c) What is the price of your sub compact weapon and do you provide economy of scale?
    3. Where are your production facility location(s)?
    4. Please elaborate on each of these areas:
    a) Past repair/refurbishment experiences with other state or federal Government agencies
    b) Technical manual development experience
    5. What is your warranty coverage?

IV. Submission Information

This request for information (RFI) is for planning purposes only and does not constitute a pre-solicitation notice, and is not to be construed as a commitment by the Government. THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION AND DOES NOT OBLIGATE THE GOVERNMENT TO ISSUE A SOLICITATION. If a formal solicitation is generated at a later date, a solicitation notice will be published.Your response to this RFI will be treated as information only. No entitlement to payment of direct or indirect costs or charges by the Government will arise as a result of contractor submission of responses to this announcement or Government use of such information. Interested parties are responsible for adequately marking proprietary or competition sensitive information contained in their response. The Government may award a contract(s) on the basis of this RFI. The information provided herein is subject to change and in no way binds the Government to pursue any course of action described herein.

https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opp...82b0fac491f6e5599acd98a7129&tab=core&_cview=0

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Government idiots in of all places New Jersey, one of the most anti 2A states in the country are going to decide which sub machine gun the military is going to evaluate and ultimately use? Are you kidding me? Seriously?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Well, These are “army” government idiots were talking about here, and pretty much every thing the army buys goes through this exact same process, for better or worse.

Did you take note that this is being done at the request of PM Soldier Systems, which is the army general charged with acquiring All the stuff that a soldier totes around? It’s not quite just a bunch of government bureaucrats sitting in New Jersey decided to buy a new gun for the military. The fact that the contract coming in there’s a New Jersey is Really irrelevant. The people That buy Air Force planes are in Dayton, and the ones that by space here or in Los Angeles. It’s just where they are.

More background at popular mechanics, and the firearm blog, But I don’t have the links handy at the moment.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why is the army even considering a subgun at this point? Hasn't EVERYONE declared the subgun dead?

You can't use it on naval ships because of the ricochet risk, the guns really aren't any smaller or lighter than 5.56 alternatives, and you're sacrificing a lot of power and range for... What exactly? Ability to suppress better?

Subguns have their place in the civilian world, I just can't see the logistical sense for a military to use them anymore.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Some possible reasons offered here;

BACK TO SUBGUNS? US Army Releases RFI for Sub Compact Weapons - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...for-its-first-new-submachine-gun-in-75-years/

To summarize the links: the Army is moving to a heavier more powerful round for infantry rifles and light machine guns, something that might not easily scale down to a personal defense weapon size for troops that are not in line combat units or in vehicles. 9x19 mm is already in the logistics system unlike other Rounds such as 5.7mm.

So returning to a WWII-like spectrum of individual weapons.

Note that this is a request for information, not a solicitation. A lot of RFIs are put out to gather information and never turn into an actual acquisition.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Honestly, I've learned not to believe anything I read regarding Army procurement until actual guns are in the hands of actual soldiers. 'Member OICW? 'Member ACR? I 'member.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Just go with the P90. Don't worry about the 9mm part, FN already makes our Machine guns and GI rifles. 9mm ball ammo sucks and while I have heard rumors, I am pretty sure that the Army is not going to be loading those mags with 9mm +P+ bonded hollow points for our guys and gals. I for one would not welcome the prospect of U.S. service members carrying around 9mm ball ammo in their weapons. The 5.7 is a proven intermediate to close range round, and the FN platform for it is good. You shouldn't spend too much time caring about whats in your pistol and the 2-3 mags you're carrying for it. When men with rifles are coming for you, you are probably not worried about whats in your pistol because if it comes to that it's probably going to be another one of those days.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just go with the P90.

I'd be surprised if they went with the P90. A lot of departments/agencies/units that adopted it and then actually shot people with it dumped it. Major SWAT teams, federal tactical teams, SOF units, etc. The general consensus was clear. It's controllable in full auto and it's accurate, but it takes a lot of hits to stop someone if you don't get a brain shot. Terminal ballistics were very poor, as was performance after some intermediate barriers.

For a general issue gun were not a lot of training will take place, maybe the ease of recoil control would outweigh it's lack of terminal effect, but I doubt the Army goes down that road again.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Bring back the old MAC-10. Cheap, reliable and brutally effective at close range.

Maybe yours is, but mine never was with the stock upper. It ran like a clock with my AMP-10 upper and ran pretty well with a Lage MAX10/45. But with the stock factory upper, even with a suppressor, it wasn't anything I'd bet my life on.

Now, my MP5, once I upgraded it with the MAD MAX bolt head, seems to be effectively 100% and I'd be willing to trust it in a dust up (though, all in all, I'd probably rather have my M16 with my Noveske CQB 10.5" upper, which is back to the real question of whether the subgun is dead).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ... I'd probably rather have my M16 with my Noveske CQB 10.5" upper, which is back to the real question of whether the subgun is dead).

SBR 5.56 has been the repeated nail in the coffin of the SMG. I'm somewhat surprised .300 blackout hasn't been more of a thing in the same role.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I posted this when the Army adopted the Sig Tango 6 optic

Don’t forget politics

Sig Sauer has courted the US Army for many years every major Army event has a SIG booth. When I processed though the CONUS replacement center at Ft. Benning SIG handed out bags of swag high end stuff and overseas phone cards ect. SIG has donates a large amount of money to Army related charity’s including matches the SIG academy.
    They have outreach teams to demo and display equipment as does FN and H&K the difference is SIG sends former Sepc Ops guys instead of engineers and salesman. They offer engraving for special weapons it’s a full press on for being the go to for weapons and equipment.
    Combined with a sweet discount for private sales Sig Sauer is very popular !

So BLUF
    Sig Sauer, H&K and FN work hard to get the “foot in the door”.
    I have never witnessed S&W, Colt even bother to show up!
    Glock donated about $500,000 to the AUSA and spent time and effort courting the Officers which didn’t work.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Some possible reasons offered here;

BACK TO SUBGUNS? US Army Releases RFI for Sub Compact Weapons - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...for-its-first-new-submachine-gun-in-75-years/

To summarize the links: the Army is moving to a heavier more powerful round for infantry rifles and light machine guns, something that might not easily scale down to a personal defense weapon size for troops that are not in line combat units or in vehicles. 9x19 mm is already in the logistics system unlike other Rounds such as 5.7mm.

So returning to a WWII-like spectrum of individual weapons.

Note that this is a request for information, not a solicitation. A lot of RFIs are put out to gather information and never turn into an actual acquisition.

I'll believe it when I see it. If they're seriously going back to full power cartridges, then they haven't learned anything about why we got away from full power cartridges in the first place.

Not only that, 6.8mm isn't much of a step up from 5.56. If they'd just standardize 5.56 with a 75gr pill, they'd stop all this nonsense.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe yours is, but mine never was with the stock upper. It ran like a clock with my AMP-10 upper and ran pretty well with a Lage MAX10/45. But with the stock factory upper, even with a suppressor, it wasn't anything I'd bet my life on.

Now, my MP5, once I upgraded it with the MAD MAX bolt head, seems to be effectively 100% and I'd be willing to trust it in a dust up (though, all in all, I'd probably rather have my M16 with my Noveske CQB 10.5" upper, which is back to the real question of whether the subgun is dead).

My experience was just the opposite, that and the high price tag were the reasons for selling my MP-5 years ago. I don't think my Powder springs MACs have ever had a stoppage going back to 1981. The SW76, M1 Thompson, and my short home built M16 are my most reliable guns, but don't have the rate of fire of the MACs.

I have been referred to at times as a stone age open bolt knuckle dragger by HK people, but I consider it a compliment.;)

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My experience was just the opposite, that and the high price tag were the reasons for selling my MP-5 years ago. I don't think my Powder springs MACs have ever had a stoppage going back to 1981. The SW76, M1 Thompson, and my short home built M16 are my most reliable guns, but don't have the rate of fire of the MACs.

I have been referred to at times as a stone age open bolt knuckle dragger by HK people, but I consider it a compliment.;)

Hah. Well, maybe we need to get you out to the next INGO Proteq open shoot with your subguns and we can run them side by side and see.

Though personally, I still have a great fondness for open bolt guns and wouldn't mind owning one again (particularly an uzi), but since my funds aren't infinite, I ended up settling for two of the most flexible platforms I could get within my budget (a registered HK sear and an M16 lower). I'm glad I did too, since I certainly wouldn't be able to afford them again now, and it's only been a few years.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It appears that the programs specifications and requirements have changed and need to be rewritten before the program can move forward.

"Must be capable of firing in an environment that is a near complete vacuum at temperatures approaching absolute zero..."

images

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Firing a sub gun in zero G is going to take some engineering, maybe some small version of a recoilless rifle.

Top Bottom