• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I think this is not true but I could be wrong. I always place my targets at the base of my berm. The targets are about 3 feet off the ground. A friend told me that's poor form because you are always aiming low when shooting. Am I missing something? Seems to me it would not matter? Dry fire seems to keep me on target regardless of target height. I bring up the front sight keep it on target. Seems to me target height should not be critical.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I do the same thing. I place targets at the base of my berm. I have had a few people also tell me it is bad form. I shoot good groups at home and then go to the indoor range and shoot at chest and eye level. Same result good groups. The indoor range has various animated and reaction targets. Fun stuff.

It doesn't seem to be causing me any issues. I agree with you that target height should not be critical. What is critical is to practice and be comfortable with your weapon of choice.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    uzX7HMb.jpg

Print out and use this target next time you're at the range.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If I'm practicing defensive shooting I'm not going to practice shooting crotch. Especially with pistols. I want it as close to real so when the stress is on I can rely on training and muscle memory

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    If I'm practicing defensive shooting I'm not going to practice shooting crotch. Especially with pistols. I want it as close to real so when the stress is on I can rely on training and muscle memory
    I agree with you. If I am shooting pistols to practice self defense then I shoot as if the target was human center mass. I'm not shooting at groundhog level with my pistols if practicing for self defense. If it's just plinking then yeah I'll shoot at some low targets.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    When you're shooting on your own land, I think keeping the bullets in the berm trumps every other concern.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A friend told me that's poor form because you are always aiming low when shooting.

That might be a concern if you're talking long range precision shooting where elevation, bullet drop, etc. matter. You're shooting handguns at distances that none of that is relevant. As long as you're practicing good form, acquiring the sights, and putting the sights on target it's a non-issue.

When you're shooting on your own land, I think keeping the bullets in the berm trumps every other concern.

Absolutely this.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    That might be a concern if you're talking long range precision shooting where elevation, bullet drop, etc. matter. You're shooting handguns at distances that none of that is relevant. As long as you're practicing good form, acquiring the sights, and putting the sights on target it's a non-issue.

Absolutely this.
    Exactly I was watching one of Paul Harrell's videos where he took off hand shots from 300 yards I think comparing ammo and there was minimal drop if any at off hand distances. Every once and a while we will go to a public state owned range and shoot which allows for long range shots. so far I have never had an issue even at
    long range. For the most part I don't worry about taking a breath at the correct time nor do I concern my self with placing my feet in this stance or that stance. I do however concentrate on the front sight and dry fire a lot. For the most part this has worked for me.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That might be a concern if you're talking long range precision shooting where elevation, bullet drop, etc. matter. You're shooting handguns at distances that none of that is relevant. As long as you're practicing good form, acquiring the sights, and putting the sights on target it's a non-issue..

Id take his experience over mine, but I truly do not think it is a non issue. For most average Joe shooters 15 yards is precision shooting. Add a little stress an you can take an above average paper shooter and watch them time out while shooting a steel challenge. If it is your land build a higher berm. Shooting towards the ground can make for some spectacular ricochets when the ground is dry. This was a problem when I lived out west.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Since it hasn't been specifically mentioned yet, are you talking about shooting pistols or rifles? Based on the conversation, I assume pistols, but don't want to assume.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A double tap into the groin or femoral artery is a pretty disabling blow - and if it's not just stitch your way up from there........ :abused:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Id take his experience over mine, but I truly do not think it is a non issue. For most average Joe shooters 15 yards is precision shooting.

The point is as long as you're practicing sights on target, etc. it doesn't matter if the target is squared up to you, a few feet left, right, up, down, etc. The only time it's an issue is if you're training solely by index, ie "point shooting", which relies on you and your target being right where you practice it being. Which is why you shouldn't be training like that.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Interestingly I shot for many years into a steep valley downhill. Now I live where it is flat as a pancake but I don't see any difference in the hits. They go wherever the sights are indexed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Shattering a pelvis can stop things pretty quickly as well...

Disabling a hip joint is quite tough to do with a bullet, particularly a handgun bullet. I don't know that "shattering" is the best word.

Even if you hit it and break it, consider that you can still walk with a broken hip, depending on how "broke" broken is. A truly dedicated (or chemically augmented) attacker can push through, but given the amount of pain that can be caused a psychological stop is likely for your not-as-dedicated foe. Sort of the philosophy of there are no bad hits, but some hits are better than others.

Top Bottom