• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, the title is *sort* of straight forward. Here in about a week, new employment will be moving me to the great state of Louisiana. I'm pretty familiar with the laws and such already, the only thing that I keep running into is the best way to transport all of my guns down there. So, for those who have moved with a collection of firearms, how did you do it? What are some of the ways you protected the cargo? How were some of the way you packed things up?

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well, the title is *sort* of straight forward. Here in about a week, new employment will be moving me to the great state of Louisiana. I'm pretty familiar with the laws and such already, the only thing that I keep running into is the best way to transport all of my guns down there. So, for those who have moved with a collection of firearms, how did you do it? What are some of the ways you protected the cargo? How were some of the way you packed things up?

How many guns are involved???, how much ammo?? How many long rifles & Hand guns?? How long do you have to move???

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    We moved to North Carolina almost 4 years ago. At the time our movers would not move firearms or ammo so I loaded our pickup with all my guns, ammo, and reloading supplies and drove them separately. It was a 14 trip and my wife or I was always with the truck. We just stopped for gas and breaks.

BTW I highly recommend Greenwood movers. We have used them several times over the years ans they gave us terrific service every time.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I guess I could have specified this. Luckily, I'm young and my collection is still small, so it's not like I'm moving three full sized liberty safes or anything. I'd say 15-18 or so rifles (haven't counted in a while), and 3 handguns.

Ammo on the other hand.... :cool:

EDIT: @Indy1919a4

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    We moved to North Carolina almost 4 years ago. At the time our movers would not move firearms or ammo so I loaded our pickup with all my guns, ammo, and reloading supplies and drove them separately. It was a 14 trip and my wife or I was always with the truck. We just stopped for gas and breaks.

BTW I highly recommend Greenwood movers. We have used them several times over the years ans they gave us terrific service every time.
    This will be a self move including the parents. 15' Uhaul, with a full trailer to haul the car, and their SUV

Fiddle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Fishers

In the spirit of caring, please let us know if you would like to sell any of your firearms in order to lighten the load. :):

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    When I moved years ago, I got several thick blankets. I would lay a rifle near the bottom, fold a layer of blanket over, roll it a time or two until there was a double layer of blanket, add a rifle, repeat. I think I bundled 5 or 6 rifles per blanket. The few I had with scopes I soft cased and bundled. I tied the bundles with rope.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Load them on the uhaul first so all your sh&* gets in the way of any potential thieves if you plan on overnighting somewhere. Packing wise just load up whatever cases you can and wrap the rest in heaving moving blankets. You can usually find soft sided rifle cases fairly cheap at sporting goods stores if you'd rather go that route.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    If you stop overnight, make sure you park the U-haul so that it can't be easily towed or driven away (box it in with another vehicle).

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I moved years ago, I got several thick blankets. I would lay a rifle near the bottom, fold a layer of blanket over, roll it a time or two until there was a double layer of blanket, add a rifle, repeat. I think I bundled 5 or 6 rifles per blanket. The few I had with scopes I soft cased and bundled. I tied the bundles with rope.
    This is about what I did the last time I moved. The was about 25 years and a lot of gun purchases ago. I am not sure what I would do now...

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I would sell the safes.. Use the money to by local safes... will save a lot in shipping..

That many guns is easily a one car run... I helped a guy move close to 300 guns with artillery and Mortars.. To be honest it was many trips...
    but it was the task the good Lord has trained me for all my life...

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would do the obvious and put as many in gun cases as possible, and like snorko suggested put the others in protective blankets.
    I would also wait until nightfall to unload them in your new house/apt. You never know who your neighbors are or who they know, I know it sounds paranoid, but that is exactly how people get burglarized.
    They in fact would be the last things unloaded, unless you get there in the wee hours of the morning.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I would do the obvious and put as many in gun cases as possible, and like snorko suggested put the others in protective blankets.
    I would also wait until nightfall to unload them in your new house/apt. You never know who your neighbors are or who they know, I know it sounds paranoid, but that is exactly how people get burglarized.
    They in fact would be the last things unloaded, unless you get there in the wee hours of the morning.

Never would of thought about that. That's a smart idea to wait til night.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    when mom and dad downsized houses. before they moved in they changed all the locks. there were kids that had the keys. u never know who has keys. unless its a rental. then id talk to the owners and see if u can change them and give them a key. past renters that are mad at the owners?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I emptied my safe, laid it on it's back, then took the shelves out. I then put a long gun in, wrapped it in a blanket, put the next gun in, wrapped it up in the blanket, and kept going like that. Handguns went in their original boxes on top of long guns. Ammo just went in ammo cans.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I would sell the safes.. Use the money to by local safes... will save a lot in shipping..

That many guns is easily a one car run... I helped a guy move close to 300 guns with artillery and Mortars.. To be honest it was many trips...
    but it was the task the good Lord has trained me for all my life...

I'm scared to ask.

I emptied my safe, laid it on it's back, then took the shelves out. I then put a long gun in, wrapped it in a blanket, put the next gun in, wrapped it up in the blanket, and kept going like that. Handguns went in their original boxes on top of long guns. Ammo just went in ammo cans.

My safe weighs over 500lbs. Plus long guns and hand guns. How did you lift it? Fork truck?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I did a night run when we moved. Guns and fishing rods.

Backed in the garage and unloaded them with door closed so no one could see. Turned and burned.

Keep it on the down low. Less people know about you the better.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

The flip side is you still need light to work and if you're out late it's more noteworthy and they might come over and look things over and offer to help because you've been at it so long. Of course those with nefarious intent usually don't introduce themselves. unless they're playing a long game in which why would they own a house that they're tied to. That gets a bit circular doesn't it.

much like carrying, if you don't act like you're carrying, most people won't notice. if you act all secretive then they start to look.

Top Bottom