SELLING FIREARMS THAT DO NOT FUNCTION RELIABLY - HOW MUCH TO DISCOUNT?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've held onto a couple of pistol caliber carbines that don't work because I can't sell them to someone else as if they do. I think it's fair to try to sell them with the disclosure of the issues and discounting the asking price accordingly.

But how much? Let's say the gun that works is worth $500. The one you have malfunctions (e.g. failure to feed and go fully into battery) maybe 3-5 times for every 50 rounds you try to fire, which is a 6%-10% failure rate.

What would be a reasonable asking price?

I am not addressing the cowardly and deceitful practice of selling guns that you know do not work without disclosing that information. That has happened to me with at least two different guns over the years and it is not acceptable.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, if its an M1 Carbine, I'll totally take that off your hands for a hundo. You're welcome.

ETA:
    IMHO, this is a classic "what the market will bear" situation. Complete disclosure of the issue means both parties understand the transaction. The money will be enough, or it won't.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Funny you should ask!

Actually, it's a Just Right carbine and a Kel-Tec Sub2000.

It's unlikely that a Marlin Camp Carbine would be as troublesome.

Well, in that case, the deal's off.

I would guess that with a gun that was worth $500 functioning reliably, I would start, maybe about $75-$100 less with full disclosure and sell for not much more than $100 less, assuming that there's no obvious damage you can identify.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, in that case, the deal's off.

I would guess that with a gun that was worth $500 functioning reliably, I would start, maybe about $75-$100 less with full disclosure and sell for not much more than $100 less, assuming that there's no obvious damage you can identify.

Thank you, sir! That's the kind of guestimate I was seeking and agrees with my intuition.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    With work, can they be made reliable? If not, it would seem you'd be selling them for parts value, which in my estimation would be more like 20 -40% unless they were more of a collector piece

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    With work, can they be made reliable? If not, it would seem you'd be selling them for parts value, which in my estimation would be more like 20 -40% unless they were more of a collector piece

That's a good point to consider.

In the case of these two guns, I don't know. The Kel-Tec was returned to the factory twice and I sick of even trying with it. Whether it could be fixed or not? Who knows.

The Just Right does okay when it's whistle clean, but a gun that can't run when it's dirty is not a reliable, properly built gun.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's a good point to consider.

In the case of these two guns, I don't know. The Kel-Tec was returned to the factory twice and I sick of even trying with it. Whether it could be fixed or not? Who knows.

The Just Right does okay when it's whistle clean, but a gun that can't run when it's dirty is not a reliable, properly built gun.

Maybe sell that to a Kimber owner? :)

View attachment 67007

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Depends on if the problem can be fixed, some guns just have bad designs that reduce the value. Do you know of anybody that has one of these that's problem free?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What caliber is the sub2000? Gen 1 or 2? Ive got one thats a gen 2 and takes the g17 mags(9mm) and have run over 1k rounds flawlessly. I just got it back from the barrel recall, so im hoping that doesn't affect anything(not sure why it would). I have done some upgrades to mine. McCarbo trigger and springs and a stainless steel feedramp, but even prior to those upgrades it functioned just fine

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would list their specific reliability issues and sell them both for $50-100ish less than working gun price. Also would make the prices OBO.

I would list them separately (hate looking at an add, bumped dozens of times, to find a title item sold long ago.:xmad:) You could always offer a package price in PM's to interested parties.

Personally, I've bought more than one "project." Some losers, but most turned into winners. As Act... pointed out above, sometimes solutions may be tailoring ammo to a finicky gun. Maybe a few thousand rounds later the finicky goes away? :dunno:

It's also way easier to get out the big hammer :), knowing you are working on a discounted problem gun. With the wave of PCC's and everything related over the past couple years, there is a lot more mechanical and know how solutions out there for tinkerers.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Depends on if the problem can be fixed, some guns just have bad designs that reduce the value. Do you know of anybody that has one of these that's problem free?

Yes. Everyone else I know who owns a KelTec sub2000 has a gun that functions without issue! That's why I bought one in the first place.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What caliber is the sub2000? Gen 1 or 2? Ive got one thats a gen 2 and takes the g17 mags(9mm) and have run over 1k rounds flawlessly. I just got it back from the barrel recall, so im hoping that doesn't affect anything(not sure why it would). I have done some upgrades to mine. McCarbo trigger and springs and a stainless steel feedramp, but even prior to those upgrades it functioned just fine

It's a 9mm gen 1, G17 mags.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would list their specific reliability issues and sell them both for $50-100ish less than working gun price. Also would make the prices OBO.

I would list them separately (hate looking at an add, bumped dozens of times, to find a title item sold long ago.:xmad:) You could always offer a package price in PM's to interested parties.

Personally, I've bought more than one "project." Some losers, but most turned into winners. As Act... pointed out above, sometimes solutions may be tailoring ammo to a finicky gun. Maybe a few thousand rounds later the finicky goes away? :dunno:

It's also way easier to get out the big hammer :), knowing you are working on a discounted problem gun. With the wave of PCC's and everything related over the past couple years, there is a lot more mechanical and know how solutions out there for tinkerers.

Thank you, sir! Detailing the problems is a good idea. I think I'll take them out and shoot them with someone who has a good camera.

If and when do sell them on INGO, they'll definitely have separate ads!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you, sir! Detailing the problems is a good idea. I think I'll take them out and shoot them with someone who has a good camera.

If and when do sell them on INGO, they'll definitely have separate ads!

I know it's not in your nature to be any thing less than overly honest sir. That said, I'm not sure you need to do a lot more than just state what you have found with these problem guns.

Another consideration on ammo. My experience has been that factory ammo is extremely dirty vs hand-loading ammo with the readily available clean powders available.

Top Bottom