• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    There are strange things in the Military supply system!
    1. Around 1995 I was the ammo NCO for a M2 Range the ammo we used was marked 1944 and was 1 and 3 mix in great shape worked fine.

2. About 1998 our armourer switched a number when ordering parts he received a crate of M79 buttstocks brand new.

3. 2003 Iraq I encountered a Navy Reserve Seabee unit that was very lost. They were armed with M16’s not A1’s not A2’s that looked brand new M60’s and M79’s with synthetic stocks with PRC-77 radios ? It’s like they were in a time warp !

The M2 is a great weapon it’s amazing it could still be employed effectively in 2018 and still be the world standard for a HMG.

You know with all his great inventions was JMB an alien or maybe a time traveler?

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Super cool! 94 years and still in spec. I suppose they could trace the serial to see what units had it over time to determine where it likely saw action...but in 94 years...

Great weapon to preserve.

Somewhere out there is an '80s vintage M60 that started my lumbar vertebrae on the path to nowhere. They can melt that b@$t@rd down.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    3. 2003 Iraq I encountered a Navy Reserve Seabee unit that was very lost. They were armed with M16’s not A1’s not A2’s that looked brand new M60’s and M79’s with synthetic stocks with PRC-77 radios ? It’s like they were in a time warp !

1st Engineer Bn, 1st ID had PRC-77 radios up until late 1999 or early 2000, can't remember exactly when we switched to SINCGARS. I think most NG and Reserve units upgraded before we did.

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    Add the 100 round ammo belt at 7 lbs and 2 or 3 more belts in bandoleers but the guy who really get shafted is the AG with the tripod and T & E and more ammo. Never pick a fight with someone on a M-60 team they are very strong. Light Infantry my a$$ and back.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

PS jumping a M60 isn't a lot of fun either

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    2. About 1998 our armourer switched a number when ordering parts he received a crate of M79 buttstocks brand new.

I was working a fighter pilot training range in the AF and I don't remember what it was that we ordered but we got a call asking if we were ready to take shipment of our platoon of tanks...now being an old tanker I thought that was cool but probably going to be hard to explain.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While looking for something, we found a submarine deck gun in the system.
    So, as a joke, we put in a request for one, to see how high it went.
    Well, high enough to get the attention of the Captain.

He was, shall we say, less than amused.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    While looking for something, we found a submarine deck gun in the system.
    So, as a joke, we put in a request for one, to see how high it went.
    Well, high enough to get the attention of the Captain.

He was, shall we say, less than amused.

M.C.A.S. Beaufort South Carolina, circa 1978-79
    I was a hydraulic/pneumatic tech for G.S.E. (ground support equipment) for a squadron of F4-J "Phantom" jets.
    Someone in our squadron found out we rated having our own firetruck.

It actually began arriving, in crates...'
    There were at least 2 dozen VERY large crates dropped at our hanger before the feces hit the air-mover.
    It was pretty funny to watch.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    M.C.A.S. Beaufort South Carolina, circa 1978-79
    I was a hydraulic/pneumatic tech for G.S.E. (ground support equipment) for a squadron of F4-J "Phantom" jets.
    Someone in our squadron found out we rated having our own firetruck.

It actually began arriving, in crates...'
    There were at least 2 dozen VERY large crates dropped at our hanger before the feces hit the air-mover.
    It was pretty funny to watch.

So, did you put them together?

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Ma Deuce is awesome..almost shot my roomate with one back in the olden days..

Shooting Company level Table XII in Ft. Hood back in '95, had the whole Company online shooting live fire. I wanted to shoot the Tank Commander's M2 and asked his permission. He said sure, let's switch ( I was the Gunner) . While switching seats, the CO gave the command, "Move out." The Company moved forward, but since we were switching seats, our Driver never received the order, "Driver move out," and therefore sat still. My roomate was the Loader for the tank next over to ours and was therefore half out of the Loader's hatch, with his tank ahead about 20 yard and to the right of ours.

My TC dropped into my seat, and while I dropped into his, my elbow hit the firing button for the Ma Deuce, sending a four round burst past my roomate's head. He was like "Oh s...!" Good thing I didn't hit him. Also good was the fact there were so many tracers firing nobody noticed I had almost obliterated my friend.

I apologized and he accepted. (After all, the same thing had happened to me the year before and that dude apologized to me too...why not? s.... happens)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My first two years in the Army I carried an M-60, yeah twenty-three pounds (+) ammo and gear was heavy under the sun, but I was only 18-19 years old at the time, and one of the biggest privates in the platoon, so it was all mine.
    I have a picture on my desk today of that nineteen year old gunner and his "PIG", I keep it there to show everyone I "WAS" skinny once..........

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Always hated to see an M60 show up before moving out. Everyone got a belt of ammo. Same for a Mortar team, we carried a mortar round.

Carried a PRC-77 more than I wanted.

Steel Core said it, we were skinny 19 year olds.

Great memories!!

Don

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So, did you put them together?

Uh, NO!
    I think we had about half a truck in crates before the squadron safety officer started "looking into things".
    I don't think they were able to determine who actually ordered it.

It took about 4 days, and several trucks to get rid of all the crates.

Top Bottom