• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Went to purchase a new thing today at Point Blank in Carmel and got a denial. Anyone ever been wrongly denied? The guy there said the FBI can mess up my file or it’s identity theft. I filled out the appeal and it says it can take 5 days to get a snail-mail response with the reason for the denial.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, I might have an answer for you as this just came up in the office. As part of the new "NICS Fix" that was pushed through recently, a lot of OLD denials are being uploaded into NICS that weren't in there before. As in 1970's old. It's possible someone with your name and DOB was denied 40 years ago, and your denial is based on that one. A pilot from another state contacted us because he's denied for a car theft arrest in 1979. It's not him, it's a guy from a different state, but name and DOB match. He's got to contact the FBI with the info and show it's not him. The old files apparently didn't match by height/weight/ssn/eye color/etc. so the fact they have different SSN and eye color is irrelevant as far as the system is concerned.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/453926-denied-huh-what.html

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think as the pressure brought to bear to get more records in the NICS system...gets more records in the system, we will see more of this.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I looked into the UPIN after I got delayed 3 days. I learned that 1. I had to be actually denied to get one and 2. a lot of people with a UPIN were complaining that they still would get delayed and have to fight each time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I looked into the UPIN after I got delayed 3 days. I learned that 1. I had to be actually denied to get one and 2. a lot of people with a UPIN were complaining that they still would get delayed and have to fight each time.

"...but I'm mad now!"

[video=youtube;we_D3X1Jliw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_D3X1Jliw[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Worth repeating...

Note that if you sometimes buy at big box stores and are now finding that sometimes you now get delays at the LGS that you have to show up for several days later to claim your toy, stay away from big box stores. Many of them have a corporate rule that they will only sell on an explicit "proceed" response. Even if they may legally release the gun after obligatory wait after getting a delay response, they will not. (even though they legally can) Corporate CYA.

Besides, your LGS deserves more love anyway.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Yeah, so I got a straight up denial. I had them run it again just in case it was someone entering the info wrong. Same result. So something had to have been put under my name by mistake?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I submitted it. It said I’ll receive written response as to why I was denied. Not sure where to go from there. Has anyone else been through this?

There is another Deny thread active right now. I believe his denial was a confusion with another person, of the same name, in new England whom had a protective order against them from back in 1998. Last I read they are still in process of getting it fixed. I've read elsewhere that it can take lawyers and years to clear the problem. Sucks it happened to you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When someone brings up Universal Background Checks, mention this.
    Criminals get through due to errors, honest citizens get stopped.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    So I was talking to a few guys at Tims Shooting Academy and they said that this is happening more and more. They explained that the process is: sending in the appeal, receive response with the all clear along with the UPIN. Hopefully it’s that simple and quick.

Top Bottom