• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    I was wondering if anybody knows of a good gunsmith in the southern half of the state? Any names and numbers would be appreciated. I want to have them restore/clean my father in laws old shotgun for a gift. I currently have it but would like to return it to him in new condition for father's day. Any responses are appreciated.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    That is super cool of you.
    I don't know of any smiths down there but they will pop up here shortly. The A-5 is an old tank built ahead of it's time. That humpback was heavy too. I think almost 10 pounds unloaded.

Please keep a picture diary of at least the before and after shots on here.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Being an old guy, I have a couple of comments that I didn't know if I should make or not, but I decided, what the heck.
    What do you mean by restore? He might not like you reblueing the gun. I look at the Win 97s and 12s when I am at the gun shows. I move quickly past ones that have been reblued. But that might just be me.
    If he gave it to you, do you think he wants you to give it back to him? I am not sure how I would feel about that.
    None of this is meant as a criticism. Just my thoughts and you know the guy better than I do.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    No offense takin, i have had this gun and many others of his for many years. I just recently thought of giving him this shotgun back in like new condition, so he could take it out and shoot it just like he used to, And as far as restoring, the gun functions somewhat, it has a small issue with not closing up when action is ran, i do believe it may be a simple cleanup and fixed kinda deal, but im no expert.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    The gun has been at his old house sitting for 20 yrs. Its gunked up i am sure, never really cleaned thoroughly. So therefore i guess i really just need someone to give it a once over and a thorough cleaning. I dont want to tear this gun apart because of its sentimental value to him.

I know my skill set limit, and tearing down this beautiful shotgun is not something i think i could handle by myself.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Yes, as i was writing the OP i just was thinking of a gunsmith, but honestly i need someone who knows about the Browning A5 specifically to tear it down and show me how to clean and care for it. Thats what i need, and possibly a little fixing, if the action is messed up, however i believe its just gunked up and thats why its finnicky.

So if anybody knows of someone near scott county or close (within 75 miles or so) feel free to let me know.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's probably just gunked. A lot of people don't know how to tear them down or tear them down properly. Small slit screw heads, the process on doing them, it can be a PITA; especially if the gun has never been taken apart and those screws haven't moved since the day it was assembled. Could take 10 minutes to strip.....could take an hour

The forearm isn't cracked is it? Or the cocking handle hitting the front of the receiver?

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    Art's gun shop in Missouri if you want a collector quality restoration. Art worked for Browning restoring salt wood superposed shotguns and specializes in Auto 5 restoration. If you want it restored to a level that the Browning collectors association would approve of, send it to him.
    Art's Gun and Sports Shop

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    Call before you go. Ron passed on a couple years ago but the shop was still open last account I had and Ron wasn't the gunsmith. I forget his name but he has a fine reputation.

Ron's Gun Repair
    3813 Hamburg Pike, Jeffersonville, IN 47130
    Phone: (812) 283-0331

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    No the gun is in good functioning order, the cocking handle is smooth, just sometimes doesnt lock up when handle is all the way back. I will call Ron's gun repair. Thanks so much everyone. Hopefully it is in good enough shape after a thorough cleaning that i can take him shooting and let him relive his old days with this gun. He will appreciate it a whole bunch.

Top Bottom