Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I stopped watching a couple minutes in after the guy pointed the gun at his other hand the third or fourth time. No eye pro?

There is nothing but wrong ways to learn from this vid. :twocents:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Easy answer if you are carrying a Colt SAA or similar clone. The firing pin sits right on the primer.

G19X

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2018
    Glock Factory
    I stopped watching a couple minutes in after the guy pointed the gun at his other hand the third or fourth time. No eye pro?

He is one of the best of YouTube. I'm sure you must be a master of guns and safety bwframe. I've never had a ND/AD...have you?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He is one of the best of YouTube. I'm sure you must be a master of guns and safety bwframe. I've never had a ND/AD...have you?

Well...actually he is. He is someone I would trust on the line or in the ****.

I have to say the video had its moments. But his gun handling would make me a bit nervous.

Thanks for posting it up. Always good to see how others think.

And yes I have had (1) AD (equipment failure) and (1) ND. Totally on me. Been shooting since I was about 10. Thats 58 years. So much has changed in that time. So much.

G19X

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2018
    Glock Factory
    Churchmouse, how long do you keep a round chambered? Days, weeks, years? Do you ever rotate the rounds in your magazines? Do you worry about the striker / magazine springs. Although it’s thought its compression / decompression that wear out springs the most, it’s now known that constant compression still weakens springs.

[video=youtube_share;AVC-83QW5L4]http://youtu.be/AVC-83QW5L4[/video]

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

My apologies if you are offended. That was not my intention.

The gent in the vid may or may not be a YouTube sensation, but he is not following common safety practices. The Four Rules of firearms safety being the utmost.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ate-col-jeff-cooper-shooter-trainer-hero.html

Eye protection is a requirement of every shooting range I am familiar with. :dunno:

Again, sorry. Just my :twocents:...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse, how long do you keep a round chambered? Days, weeks, years? Do you ever rotate the rounds in your magazines? Do you worry about the striker / magazine springs. Although it’s thought its compression / decompression that wear out springs the most, it’s now known that constant compression still weakens springs.

[video=youtube_share;AVC-83QW5L4]http://youtu.be/AVC-83QW5L4[/video]

I have been a proponent of cycling mags on a regular basis. When I 1st joined Ingo I was Boo-Hoooed for this thinking as some of the old guard believed it was cycling that wore out the springs.

I have been blessed to be involved in and known some really sharp people in and around the racing world. Top engine builders would remove the valve train from the heads when an engine was to be static for a long period.That was to keep the springs out of compression. Steel develops a memory.

As to rounds chambered. I remove and clean my EDC regularly. I do not re-chamber the same round. As I cycle my EDC's (all 1911's) the mags involved are rotated as well.

G19X

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2018
    Glock Factory
    My apologies if you are offended. That was not my intention.

The gent in the vid may or may not be a YouTube sensation, but he is not following common safety practices. The Four Rules of firearms safety being the utmost.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ate-col-jeff-cooper-shooter-trainer-hero.html

Eye protection is a requirement of every shooting range I am familiar with. :dunno:

Again, sorry. Just my :twocents:...

I apologize too. You are correct about the safety rules. :)

G19X

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2018
    Glock Factory
    I have been a proponent of cycling mags on a regular basis. When I 1st joined Ingo I was Boo-Hoooed for this thinking as some of the old guard believed it was cycling that wore out the springs.

I have been blessed to be involved in and known some really sharp people in and around the racing world. Top engine builders would remove the valve train from the heads when an engine was to be static for a long period.That was to keep the springs out of compression. Steel develops a memory.

As to rounds chambered. I remove and clean my EDC regularly. I do not re-chamber the same round. As I cycle my EDC's (all 1911's) the mags involved are rotated as well.

Thank you for the reply. I think you are very wise and professional.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Wtf
    who has the spare time to study the effect of magazine springs?
    Do what everyone else does rotate your magazines at whatever intervals you think are appropriate!
    The length of a magazine spring has zero to do if the sucker still worked ?

So really this dude had like $500.00 in magazines tied up for a “test” that anybody that actually uses a firearm on regular basis could have told him?
    Pure Genius

btw cm doesn’t know about striker firearms don’t reply with any capital letters if we keep it all lower case cm can’t hear us!

G19X

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2018
    Glock Factory
    Wtf
    who has the spare time to study the effect of magazine springs?
    Do what everyone else does rotate your magazines at whatever intervals you think are appropriate!
    The length of a magazine spring has zero to do if the sucker still worked ?

So really this dude had like $500.00 in magazines tied up for a “test” that anybody that actually uses a firearm on regular basis could have told him?
    Pure Genius

btw cm doesn’t know about striker firearms don’t reply with any capital letters if we keep it all lower case cm can’t hear us!

Personally, I like people who do research. It's work undertaken to increase the stock of knowledge. Do you like cars, air conditioning, guns, electricity, etc.? If people where to lazy to study things...you would be in a cave with a spear.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Surprisingly he makes some decent points during the video. But ya, anyone who covers himself every time he holsters the gun gun, to include pointing it transversely at his torso while stuffing it in his coat pocket, should probably carry chamber empty. (Or get better safety habits)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Should you carry on a loaded chamber: Yes. I've seen people dead who tried to draw while entangled and couldn't get a functioning weapon into the fight. Yes, you can rack it on your clothes, etc. That's tougher when you're entangled, under survival stress, and possibly injured. I've personally broken a hand in a fight that left me one handed for the rest. It would have made racking a gun quite challenging, as my dominate hand's thumb no longer functioned.

Barring carrying a gun that isn't drop safe (and why are you carrying a gun that isn't drop safe) carry loaded. If you just can't bring yourself to carry loaded, carry a revolver and leave the chamber under the hammer empty. It'll still fire on the first trigger pull, as the cylinder rotates as the hammer comes back, so all you cost yourself is a round of capacity.

Springs: Meh. Springs shrink a bit when you use them. They still work. I've fired magazines left loaded for over a decade, and as long as oil hasn't infiltrated them and gummed them up they shoot fine. Do you ever "rest" your internal magazine springs in your shotgun? Rimfires? Springs are designed to lose some length over time and still function. My experience is they will still feed for thousands of rounds after they get too weak to lock the slide back, so you get some warning it's time to change them. If it makes you feel better to rotate, knock yourself out, but it's pointless. Stock spare springs, when they get weak replace the spring. Clean out the body while you're in there, make sure the follower and base plate are damage free, carry on.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Instead of worrying about spring compression or spring creep, or whatever the hell is going on here. They need to worry about training and practice.
    And I'll add, if you carry with an empty chamber you are an idiot. And you are chancing the odds to become a dead idiot.

Last edited:

G19X

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2018
    Glock Factory
    Instead of worrying about spring compression or spring creep, or whatever the hell is going on here. They need to worry about training and practice.
    And I'll add, if you carry with an empty chamber you are an idiot. And you are chancing the odds to become a dead idiot.

Who are you talking about? Both I, and the the guy in the video are for carrying with a round in the chamber...in most cases. But I still care about the mechanical attributes of the firearm...e.g. springs, etc. Knowledge is POWER!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom