• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    First off a disclaimer, I have no interest in this company or their products other than buying them and loving them.

I saw a YT video the other day that changed my shooting life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McW1Gc1Jm0U

These shooting glasses are truly spectacular. I was TOTALLY skeptical and 100% convinced that these would NOT work for me, but I was getting desperate, so I tried them. All I can say is "wow".

I wear transition prescription glasses on a daily basis, and this makes it really difficult to find shooting glasses that work for me. I have read every article, and tried about a million solutions, including very expensive prescription inserts for some SPP glasses (the prescription insert ended up costing me over $300, than $150 for the glasses).

Long story short, nothing worked. Until now that is!

These glasses have magnification across the entire surface of the lens. Worthless for us that need bifocals, right??? That's what I thought too.

Here is what I did:

I went into CVS to their reading glasses stand, and tried on a bunch of different reading glass magnifications until I found the correct magnification that allowed me to see the front sight of my pistol in perfect focus (arms extended, fingers out like a gun, and than an inch or two further).

Armed with this information, you can take the magnification power (for me, it turned out to be 1.25X at that distance), and I went to Amazon to check these puppies out:

Elvex full lens magnifier glasses:

https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-RX-500...-2&keywords=elvex+full+lens+magnifier+glasses

At the bottom of the page, there is a equation that allows you to convert diopter to magnification (WARNING: These glasses are rated in Diopter units, NOT magnification.)

Diopter/4 +1 so for a 2.0 diopter it would be 2/4 +1 or 1.5X magnification. A 1.0 diopter would be about 1.25X magnification. PERFECT for me!!!

I ordered a set with the 1.0 diopter lenses, (the same ones as in the YT video as a matter of fact), and really did not expect to be able to see the target or the people around me, but for $10 a pair, I figured "what the heck", I had nothing to lose, and I am frustrated to no end with all of the other solutions I have tried.

As a side note, at the same time, I ordered a pair of SPP bifocal glasses that have the magnification at the TOP of lens to try out at the same time ($48).

I absolutely HATED the top lens bifocals from SPP, but could not believe how great these Elvex 1.0 diopter glasses work!!!

I wore them yesterday at a USPSA match all day, and it was completely amazing! I got home last night from the match, and immediately ordered a couple of pairs of sunglasses, and a 3-pack of the clear lens glasses as well.

When I like something, I tend to shout it from the mountain tops, but when I don't, I tend to be quiet about it.

These are the best solution for old fart shooting glasses that I have seen so far, BAR NONE!

I was so skeptical that if they were not only $10, I probably would have never bought them, I was so convinced that they would be like walking around with reading glasses on all day and having everything blurry and I would get dizzy and sick, etc. Instead, they are an absolute miracle!!!

For anyone that decides that they want to try them out, be sure to follow the steps that I did and get the right magnification for focusing on your front sight first, (don't guess!!!), and then be sure to use the diopeter-to-magnification equation I typed above to get the right diopter lenses. Even if you use reading glasses for reading now, the correct magnification to get your front sight in focus might be different.

I am in heaven, and can actually see my front sight as clear as a bell, and can also focus on the target quite well, and have NO ISSUES with seeing the world around me.

GREAT PRODUCT!!!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've been using Elvex RX-500C glasses for a couple of years and have recommended them a few times in other threads.

I usually use a magnification that is just short of bringing the front sight into full focus as a compromise for a slightly better target picture.

Last edited:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Wow just what I am looking for. You did a great review and I really appreciate it, it is so frustrating to find anything that can help.
    One question did you get the full lenses or bifocal Lens.
    Thank you for this tip can’t wait to order them. For the price I will get several to try. I have almost more shooting glass as I do holsters.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Wow just what I am looking for. You did a great review and I really appreciate it, it is so frustrating to find anything that can help.
    One question did you get the full lenses or bifocal Lens.
    Thank you for this tip can’t wait to order them. For the price I will get several to try. I have almost more shooting glass as I do holsters.

The full lens version FOR SURE. Makes a big difference. Certainly you are free to try the bifocals to see if they work for you, but they did not work for me.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I've been using Elvex RX-500C glasses for a couple of years and have recommended them a few times in other threads.

i usually use a magnification that is just short of bringing the front sight into full focus as a compromise for a slightly better target picture.

Awesome to hear that others have found the same thing. I was pretty amazed and completely skeptical. I never expected these to work at all, much less be a home run!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well "F" I ordered a pair and forgot to do the Diopter size (I am a 1.50 mag for reading glasses at the Dollar tree) so I guess I would be a "2", I just cancelled so maybe I can order another pair with the correct lenses.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Looking at Amazon and trying to find a full lens magnification like what OP purchased, but with some tint (shoot outside quite a bit) and possibly anti-fog.

I've got a pair of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JI0ZCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the bi-focal magnification at the top for shooting, but would be nice to have a pair with full lens magnification and tinted, etc.
    If anyone finds something like this let me know. Clear lenses are ok, but would rather have some tint and can't seem to find a full lens magnified, tinted set of safety glasses.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will try these. I'm about to give up on handgun shooting due to the struggles I have had with vision. I'm cross dominant so I will still have to blur out the left lens, but that's okay. Thanks for posting this!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Looking at Amazon and trying to find a full lens magnification like what OP purchased, but with some tint (shoot outside quite a bit) and possibly anti-fog.

I've got a pair of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JI0ZCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the bi-focal magnification at the top for shooting, but would be nice to have a pair with full lens magnification and tinted, etc.
    If anyone finds something like this let me know. Clear lenses are ok, but would rather have some tint and can't seem to find a full lens magnified, tinted set of safety glasses.

Try these. They also come in different diopters:

https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-WELRX2...rey+Lens,+1.0+Diopter,+Translucent+Grey+Frame

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Well "F" I ordered a pair and forgot to do the Diopter size (I am a 1.50 mag for reading glasses at the Dollar tree) so I guess I would be a "2", I just cancelled so maybe I can order another pair with the correct lenses.

Yeah, the diopter part is a bit confusing vs. magnification. Be aware however that if you use 1.50 glasses for reading, that not be the same magnification you need to see your front sight.

You have to try different magnifications at the distance that you have your front sight at, which is arm's lengths, plus a couple of inches.

THIS WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE!

Good luck!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I ordered a pair of the 0.75 diopter magnification. I sometimes wear bifocals (just for reading really), but I notice that the top magnification of my glasses does make distant objects clearer. It's a pretty weak prescription, so I thought I'd try the .75 first. I'd been thinking of having a prescription set made with just my top magnification. I haven't had any problems with handguns (yet), but seeing the sights on some of my old milsurp rifles has gotten a little more challenging with age, so hopefully these help. Thanks for the heads up OP! 8 bucks and change is well worth giving them a try, and a lot cheaper than what a pair of prescription glasses would be, even if I wind up needing a stronger magnification.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I finally got my order corrected and a pair of 2 Diopter 1.50 mag are on the way for a Wednesday delivery, and Thursdays range session.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I ordered a pair of the 0.75 diopter magnification. I sometimes wear bifocals (just for reading really), but I notice that the top magnification of my glasses does make distant objects clearer. It's a pretty weak prescription, so I thought I'd try the .75 first. I'd been thinking of having a prescription set made with just my top magnification. I haven't had any problems with handguns (yet), but seeing the sights on some of my old milsurp rifles has gotten a little more challenging with age, so hopefully these help. Thanks for the heads up OP! 8 bucks and change is well worth giving them a try, and a lot cheaper than what a pair of prescription glasses would be, even if I wind up needing a stronger magnification.

I finally got my order corrected and a pair of 2 Diopter 1.50 mag are on the way for a Wednesday delivery, and Thursdays range session.

Great! I am anxious to hear if they work as well for you as they do for me. Be sure to post back and let us know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Those are only bi-focals, not full lens. Just pointing it out. I'd love to have a pair of the full ones with some tint.

Yep, just saw the same. They have a reader lens at the bottom on those.

I have a clear pair with the bi-focal/magnification at the top of the lens for shooting, but then it doesn't help me if I need to take a peek at the phone or when looking to pick up my brass (vs another caliber) at the range, etc. The full lens magnification looks interesting, just needs some tint for outdoors shooting (MCF&G can be both bright and shady at the same time in the bays due to the direction the berm faces, trees, etc).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do you do for EDC? Go back to glasses that you can't see the sights well?

I don't knock anyone for trying to see the sights better for competition. That said, competition for me is all about getting to the best gun handling for self defense.

I don't wear prescription glasses, but require readers for reading, work and anything at arms length. I can get an excellent sight picture when I wear the readers, but I don't shoot with them because they likely wont be on my face already in a self defense situation. I cant afford to struggle finding the sights in a gunfight.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    What do you do for EDC? Go back to glasses that you can't see the sights well?

Just to be clear, I can see just fine with my everyday glasses (progressives), but they are not shooting safety glasses so I do not wear them at the range or for any competitive matches.

In a self defense situation, it is quite stressful, and you are probably not going to take the time to get a perfect sight picture on your front sight anyway. However when awake, I will have my regular glasses on anyway. At night, I am depending on my night sights to get a sight picture, which I can see fine without glasses.

I know that a lot of guys use laser sights for the SD guns for this very reason.

My biggest issue has been with shooting glasses that don't work correctly or as well as my everyday glasses. It seems almost impossible to get good shooting glasses that work well.

With all of that being said, I am not going to apologize for wanting to have great sight picture focus when shooting competitive matches. Why would I want to do anything else?

Top Bottom