• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I'm looking at the Mossberg Shockwave for a home defense/truck gun. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to feel my age (60) so I'm considering getting a 20g that would be kinder to my tired old body. Would it be a mistake to buy this gun in a 20g for this purpose?

Another aspect to this would be to buy the 12g and use mini shells. Anyone using them? I'd like to know more about them in terms of stopping power and cost vs. the 20g.

Also, am I making a mistake by not looking harder at the Remington Tac14? Especially the DM model?

Thanks

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I would recommend the 20 ga if recoil is an issue. The mini shells are 80 cent a round sometimes hard to find If you decide to go that route you would have to purchase a omiclip. It's a rubber insert that will make the mini shells fit better. The bird head grip is far better than the pistol grip in relationship to recoil.

They came out with a 410 version if you want to have fun and shoot it alot. But I think you would be happy with the 20ga

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I don't think the 12 ga mini shells would be versatile enough to be useful in many defensive situations. The 20 ga would give you all kinds of ammo choices from light to magnum, and would be much easier to shoot than a 12 with that "stock".

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have the 12 gauge and it does kick quite a bit. I love my Shockwave and its a fun gun but imo it isn't good for self defense. Very hard to sight down the barrel and hard to hit anything from the hip. For a truck I would stick with a pistol and for home I would use one of the short tactical shotguns that are out there.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have the 12 gauge Mossberg. I love it, but if recoil may be an issue I think 20 gauge would be the way to go. Either way, it's a fun gun.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    A bad guy isnt gonna know if you used a 20ga or a 12ga. So if the 20ga is gentler on you (I totaly can understand) then go for it.
    Seems like people that know have said this same thing forever but unless you have some celebrity name no one listens to what you say.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have had the 12 gauge version for 8 months or so. The recoil isn't all that bad with buck loads since recoil isn't transmitted to your shoulder. The grip moves back and down when you fire it. The front strap is absolutely essential and some of the recoil is taken up by that hand. IMO, if you are going to have one of these there is no real reason to not have the 12 gauge version. My 11 Y/O grandson loves it because he isn't getting thumped on the shoulder. Sure it is a handful, but it is easily tamed. I shoot flying clay pigeons with mine. With target loads of course. It isn't any harder than any other shotgun I have owned.

You can try mine if you like.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Jerry Miculek just posted a YouTube video on all three calibers. He's got a laser on one which looks like a good idea.

I have a 12g but haven't shot it.

http://youtu.be/zGtM9YnMDIk

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm pushing 40 and ditched my 12ga guns for 20ga. Gun is a lot lighter and a tad softer shooting. Far as power factor goes the 20 is plenty nasty.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think Mas Ayoob says something along the line of the 20 gauge is 80% the power and 50% of the recoil of a 12 g. I'd go with the 20.

Consider the 20-gauge shotgun | Backwoods Home Magazine

As far as the Moss vs. Rem, Remington has been having some quality control issues lately. I think the Mossberg will serve you fine.

I'm with BigTanker on this...the 20 GA should serve you just fine.

My wife has a Remington 870 Tactical in 20 GA (yup, a factory 'tactical' 20 GA) and it's set-up for her (tritium front sight...youth butt-stock...nylon sling...tac-start shot-shell holder...etc.) and she LOVES it!

She hated my 12 GA (she played VB in college and has a sore shoulder) and the 12 just kicked too hard for her...so I searched around and found the 20 tactical and it's been a hit ever since!

It's stoked with 7+1 of #3 shot shells...and a closer ranges (15-21') it's devastating on melon's and stuff! It'll also handle slugs just fine!

I'd love a Shockwave in 20 GA...what a great backpack gun!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to feel my age (60) so I'm considering getting a 20g that would be kinder to my tired old body.

20g, and a shotgun with a stock. Remember weight reduces felt recoil, as the gun accelerates backward slower. Wood stock with a recoil pad is going to kick less than a polymer stock. Depending on the condition of your hands and wrists, consider avoiding any shotgun with a pistol grip. If you're willing to spend the $, a semi-auto sucks up a lot of the recoil making the shotgun *much* more pleasant to shoot.

Or ditch the shotgun entirely, go the AR route with softpoint 55gr, and have a very versatile low recoil option with excellent terminal ballistics.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I can't add much more, other than I like the pistol grip in my 20g Mossberg with a mounted light. Just more versatile and maneuvers easier in close quarters. I'm not figuring on shooting across the house. If racking the slide doesn't deter the bad guy, I'm looking at a 10 to 15 foot shot.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Does anyone know the NFA rules for converting one of these firearms into an SBS? Can they cross state lines in an SBS configuration or do they need ATF paperwork filed ala an SBR? Can they go back and forth from firearm to SBS (like swapping a 16" upper onto an SBR) so that you can travel with them?

The InRangeTV guys did a comparison video and the Shockwave did not do very well when compared to a shouldered shotgun. I'm not much of a weapon mounted laser guy but it makes a lot of sense on this firearm. Jerry proved that in his recent video.

Coal Black

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm looking at the Mossberg Shockwave for a home defense/truck gun. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to feel my age (60) so I'm considering getting a 20g that would be kinder to my tired old body. Would it be a mistake to buy this gun in a 20g for this purpose?

Another aspect to this would be to buy the 12g and use mini shells. Anyone using them? I'd like to know more about them in terms of stopping power and cost vs. the 20g.

Also, am I making a mistake by not looking harder at the Remington Tac14? Especially the DM model?

I own a shockwave.
    The mossberg top tang safety is located in a better place than the remington.
    I wish they made a 10gauge. Stay with the 12, you can always load down with lighter loads to get the 20 gauge recoil and go back up to fart around.
    The grip minimizes recoil. It is very easy on the strong hand unlike the persuaders of past. The lead hand must maintain a tight grip and utilize the strap on heavy mags.
    I've run everything from birdshot to heavy 00buck. Patterned minishells last weekend. Very mild recoil and a 12X7 spread @ 10 yards. Heavy hotter loads patterned tighter than the mini shells.
    It is basically a sawed off shotgun that is legal due to manufacture process and meeting length requirements.
    I do have the opsol adapter installed. in and out in 2 seconds, or less. $15.
    This is a perfect home defense or truck gun, snake gun. It is a gun your wife can grab and point at an intruder and be on target without much practice with mini shells, heavy mags require proper grip, but it still is very easy on the hands. Don't hold close to face with mags, extremely shootable from the hip. I added a rail and a light with a pressure pad for night time critters. With the utg laser, no practice required, check youtube. I keep it stacked with the mini shells, if something can take 9 of those at close range then i have a pretty handy club to finish the deed, can't see that being the case.

A 12X7 is fairly wide going down the hallway when compared to a pattern of .45. 11 pellets in the mini x 9.

Top Bottom