• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    There is a young man that I know locally who works at a restaurant that my wife and I frequent (like once a week for the last 4-5 years). I feel like I know him pretty well, and he is a trustworthy young man, but...

I do not think he is a US citizen. I do not actually know his official status, but I am sure he at least has a work VISA since I know he had to go back to Mexico for a couple of weeks to get it renewed.

He knows I shoot a lot, and he has asked to go with me sometime. Is this OK? Any legal issues I need to worry about?

Thanks.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    There's big business in Las Vegas for foreign visitors to go shooting and I never heard of any special requirements, so, as long as you aren't selling him something, you should be fine. IANAL

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just don't end up like Chris Kyle... stay armed, don't turn you back on him at the range, etc. None of that has anything to do with him being a non citizen, just regarding taking someone shooting that you don't know extremely well. Come to think of it, I do this when I shoot alone as well, as you might also, so may not be an issue.

No sure if these are relevant or not given the situation you describe as I'm not sure what a "nonimmigrant alien visa" is to be honest.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-alien-who-enters-united-states-nonimmigrant-alien-visa-rent-firearm-lawful-hunting

Can an alien who enters the United States on a nonimmigrant alien visa rent a firearm for lawful hunting or sporting purposes while in the United States?

A nonimmigrant alien that possess a valid hunting license from a State within the United States or falls within any of the other exceptions or exemptions that allow nonimmigrant aliens to possess firearms may rent firearms to hunt or to use at a shooting range.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonimmigrant-alien-who-has-been-admitted-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-visa

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa possess a firearm or ammunition in the United States?

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]

Edit: Info on non immigrant alien visa, which it seems would not be the case based on what you indicated.

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/glossary/nonimmigrant
    [h=1]
    Nonimmigrant
    [/h] An alien who seeks temporary entry to the United States for a specific purpose. The alien must have a permanent residence abroad (for most classes of admission) and qualify for the nonimmigrant classification sought. The nonimmigrant classifications include: foreign government officials, visitors for business and for pleasure, aliens in transit through the United States, treaty traders and investors, students, international representatives, temporary workers and trainees, representatives of foreign information media, exchange visitors, fiance(e)s of U.S. citizens, intracompany transferees, NATO officials, religious workers, and some others. Most nonimmigrants can be accompanied or joined by spouses and unmarried minor (or dependent) children.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've enjoyed taking several non-residents to the range over the years. All of them were tourists and they got a hoot out of it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've worked voluntarily at a local gun shop/range.
    I've seen a hundred or more people, mostly Purdue students, that are not citizens and they spend big bucks at the range renting different firearms.
    They put quite a bit of lead downrange, which the range sold them.

I don't think it's an issue as long as he is a "proper person", regardless of citizenship.
    The range simply wants a valid, state issued I.D. to sign in their shooters log book.

Ask at the range.
    Do you have access to any private property you could take him to?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. You need to ensure that he buys a hunting license, 2. You need to answer the following under both railroad tracks:

Federal: is he a prohibited person under one of the categories of 922g?

State: Is he a Serious Violent Felon or Domestic Batterer?

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    1. You need to ensure that he buys a hunting license, 2. You need to answer the following under both railroad tracks:

Federal: is he a prohibited person under one of the categories of 922g?

State: Is he a Serious Violent Felon or Domestic Batterer?

UGH! Too many unknowns to take a chance. I have no idea what his background is, and I'd rather not get into the difficult discussions with him by asking.

So if you apply for a hunting licence, is there a background check involved? (I don't hunt so I have no idea.)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    UGH! Too many unknowns to take a chance. I have no idea what his background is, and I'd rather not get into the difficult discussions with him by asking.

So if you apply for a hunting licence, is there a background check involved? (I don't hunt so I have no idea.)
    You are a kind person sir. If this gent is interested in shooting enough to pursue it he will. If he does, down the road maybe he'll invite you to shoot with him?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've enjoyed taking several non-residents to the range over the years. All of them were tourists and they got a hoot out of it.

Yup. I just took an Austrian exchange student to the range. I've never seen someone smile and giggle so much there.

Top Bottom