KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Federal Prosecutor held a press conference this morning to announce straw buyer charges against two women that bought guns that were used in two police shooting deaths. They also charged the brother of one of the women because he traded the gun to the shooter.
    I hope that the court will apply maximum sentences rather than the probation that straw buyers seem to get.

https://www.wthr.com/article/us-attorney-files-illegal-gun-charges-in-police-officers-deaths
    This is good to hear. Using existing laws and prosecuting criminals? That sounds like something our side has been saying for years!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Federal Prosecutor held a press conference this morning to announce straw buyer charges against two women that bought guns that were used in two police shooting deaths. They also charged the brother of one of the women because he traded the gun to the shooter.
    I hope that the court will apply maximum sentences rather than the probation that straw buyers seem to get.

https://www.wthr.com/article/us-attorney-files-illegal-gun-charges-in-police-officers-deaths

Agreed. These people knew they were dealing with criminals.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It would be nice if they get a life sentence with no parole.
    I know some on here won't buy a gun with a bill of sale, it never bothered me if someone wants one.
    I think more people selling used guns may require it. I know we have a feed back feature on here, but once I sell a gun to someone on here, I don't know where it goes from there.
    The new owner may keep it for awhile then re-sell it.

Back on topic, I'm glad they caught them and hopefully they will get some stiff sentences.
    I have noticed a complete lack of respect for Law Enforcement in general, and people the past few years that are not afraid to shoot at the Police.
    It is a sad state we're in as a Nation.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This is good to hear. Using existing laws and prosecuting criminals? That sounds like something our side has been saying for years!

I googled the name of the US attorney that filed the charges; he was appointed by President Trump to replace Joe Hogsett, so he's a relatively new guy.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Fox 59 coverage this morning said the 20 yr old brother accompanied his sister and picked out the gun that she bought at Top Gun, Terre Haute. The Tribune Star article says he left the store in possession of the gun. If these statements are correct I have to wonder why Top Gun isn't named in this case for failing to stop a straw purchase.
    I hope the details do not support this version. I've never been to Top Gun but I've seen their videos on Youtube and they have a nice store.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Fox 59 coverage this morning said the 20 yr old brother accompanied his sister and picked out the gun that she bought at Top Gun, Terre Haute. The Tribune Star article says he left the store in possession of the gun. If these statements are correct I have to wonder why Top Gun isn't named in this case for failing to stop a straw purchase.

There is a difference between accompanying the purchaser vs picking out the gun. I would also hope they aren't blamed for any exchange that took place after the two left the counter.

Also, if the 20 year old isn't a criminal, is it not legal for him to possess through private transfer? I realize of course that doesn't negate the law regarding a straw purchase. She couldn't legally purchase the gun with the intent of giving it to anyone else.
    But otherwise if you give or sell it to a 20 year old LATER (I don't know how much later qualifies here) AND you don't know them to be a prohibited person then the transfer is legal, correct?

I hope the details do not support this version. I've never been to Top Gun but I've seen their videos on Youtube and they have a nice store.
    I never like seeing anyone being held accountable for the criminal actions of others.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

It's not illegal to carry someone else's purchases out of a store, either.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I never like seeing anyone being held accountable for the criminal actions of others.

Me neither, but since the crime is obtaining a gun for some else, ostensibly to commit a crime, but certainly making false statements on the 4473, the straw purchaser is being held accountable for her own crimes.

As for how long before a transfer, there is no specific time. What has to be proven is that the gun was obtained for someone else and that this was not disclosed on the 4473. The timing can make it appear more or less like a straw purchase, depending, but the intent at the time of the purchase is the legally relevant issue.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    It's not illegal to carry someone else's purchases out of a store, either.

Individually, none of their actions prove an intent to straw purchase. But taken as a string of events (accompanying sis to the store, picking out the purchase and carrying her purchase out ) might indicate their actions were a planned straw purchase. This assumes that they can prove he picked out the gun and there may be store video that can really show what happened.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    So, can someone buy a gun, and give it as a gift in Indiana? (family?)

I had similar incident. My wife was looking for a Glock 17. She's a US citizen via the legal way, wait years and pay thousands. I bought the gun just because it was easier for me to do the paperwork. The salesman at the time thought it might qualify as a straw purchase. He asked the owner who said it was all good. I hope he was correct. I still have the gun and the wife

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It would be nice if they get a life sentence with no parole.
    I know some on here won't buy a gun with a bill of sale, it never bothered me if someone wants one.
    I think more people selling used guns may require it. I know we have a feed back feature on here, but once I sell a gun to someone on here, I don't know where it goes from there.
    The new owner may keep it for awhile then re-sell it.
    Are you implying that I could be charged with a straw purchase if I sold Cletus a gun and he robs the Taco Bell with it? :dunno:

You gotta prove it in a court of law.

And how would have a a bill of sale with Cletus' X on it reduce my culpability?

And just to clarify... does INGO now like the straw purchase laws and BATFE prosecution?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Are you implying that I could be charged with a straw purchase if I sold Cletus a gun and he robs the Taco Bell with it? :dunno:

You gotta prove it in a court of law.

And how would have a a bill of sale with Cletus' X on it reduce my culpability?

And just to clarify... does INGO now like the straw purchase laws and BATFE prosecution?

Let me see:

1. NO
    2. You are correct, it's not what you know, but what you can prove in a court of law.
    3. It might save you some hassle and having to hire an attorney to prove YOUR innocence by having a B.O.S.
    4. I can't speak for the forum as a whole, but yes I like the Straw purchase prosecution. I do believe that someone knowingly buying a gun for someone who is legally forbidden, should be prosecuted.
    5. Isn't our Community always screaming to enforce the gun laws already in place and not try to pass new ones? So lets start enforcing them! If you're legal you have no worries.

I do have wonder though if these were not law enforcement officers, would this much investigation go into a murder of a citizen? And a prosecution of a straw purchase?
    I am strongly considering any firearm I sell in the future just running it on gunbroker where it ships to an FFL and the new owner does the paperwork.
    I don't have the time or money for someone (read attorney ) trying to make a name for themselves to ruin my character and my finances.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So people making knowing false statements to help people otherwise ineligible to get a gun that ends up being used in a crime?

Yeah, I can’t speak for INGO, but I’m OK with prosecuting that.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    The range I frequent has plenty of clientele like T-Bone hanging out with someone who probably will buy the gun they want, I am sure the store owner and employees weed out many but enough straw purchases to build a hay bale, happen ever day across the USA.
    Crooks like firearms too you know.

Top Bottom