• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Anyone here build a dedicated 22lr AR? I have a few stripped lowers laying around and the thought ran through my mind. What barrel and bolt combo did you go with? Which mags are most reliable? It may just be more cost effective to buy an M&P 15-22. I would probably opt for a pistol configuration with a brace. Be easier to keep the standard velocity ammo sub sonic in a shorter barrel with the suppressor

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you're going to buy one look at Tippmann. They have a pistol and a standard. They run everything, are quite accurate and made in Indiana.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've got the 15-22. Absolutely love it, got a Primary Arms red dot on it, I put MagPul furniture on it and use my QD sling from my AR on it. Got a ton of mags for it because they can be had cheap. I know that's not what you asked, but the 15-22 is a ton of fun and great gun.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I was going to do the same thing. Everyone said buy a 15-22 for less.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    I may just end up doing that. Just curious as to what parts others have used building one up and how well it performed. It's not that I don't mind spending a little extra on a build for particular parts that I like but it doesn't make sense to dump 2x-3x the money over a factory 22lr. I want it mainly for just a trainer. And for my 8yr old son to learn and train the manual of arms on the platform. He does exceptionally well with his bolt action 22lr but is asking me about those "black rifles" now

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd go with the 15-22 if it were me unless you were just going to buy a conversion for an AR you already have. Smith is running some sort of rebate on them right now too I know for military and maybe vets you'd just have to look and see but it may apply to you. I really enjoy shooting the 15-22 and if you want to swap out a trigger or safety etc you can do that.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you're going to buy one look at Tippmann. They have a pistol and a standard. They run everything, are quite accurate and made in Indiana.

I agree with Ggreen. I was on the fence between the Tippmann and the 15-22. Holding both, the Tippmann was worth the extra cost for me. I know the 15-22 is reliable and functions well, but it’s always felt too light and a bit too toy like for me. The Tippmann felt closer to a real AR.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I agree with Ggreen. I was on the fence between the Tippmann and the 15-22. Holding both, the Tippmann was worth the extra cost for me. I know the 15-22 is reliable and functions well, but it’s always felt too light and a bit too toy like for me. The Tippmann felt closer to a real AR.

If I buy a factory rifle I'll more than likely opt for the MP 15-22 for any possible future support needs that may come up. Tippmann arms is **** up and the company is actually for sale on GB for $8.7M

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I buy a factory rifle I'll more than likely opt for the MP 15-22 for any possible future support needs that may come up. Tippmann arms is **** up and the company is actually for sale on GB for $8.7M

As far as I can tell, those are f the same companies. The description for the one GB is for belt fed items and is located in Arkansas. Which is what Tippmann made before the family stopped selling firearms, if my memory holds true. They also note that it used to be the Tippmann Arms Company, currently operating under Lakeside Machine LLC.

The Tippmann Arms making the M4-22 is located in Ft. Wayne, IN.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    15-22 is the best middle ground between being highly reliable, a good analog for all the controls, and being affordable with good support.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've been going back and forth on the idea of a dedicated 22 in an AR platform also. I have a few built lowers I could use for the rifle, but want it to be more of a precision rimfire. Something that is actually chambered in 22LR, not a conversion for the 5.56 barrel. I keep going back to the idea that my rimfire bolt guns are better for the job.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Bushmaster has a new one out that has a .22 upper and can still be used with a .223 upper. I had an extra lower and bought a Chiappa upper and it seems to run fine

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've been going back and forth on the idea of a dedicated 22 in an AR platform also. I have a few built lowers I could use for the rifle, but want it to be more of a precision rimfire. Something that is actually chambered in 22LR, not a conversion for the 5.56 barrel. I keep going back to the idea that my rimfire bolt guns are better for the job.

They are. I've had a few dedicated 22ar15s and I've taken a squirrel with one, but don't think they ever came close to my bolt gun, reliability is also increased with a bolt.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you want precision, stick with the bolt. If you want a fun plinker to waste a lot of ammo, get the MP.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I prefer the Tippmann over the S&W. It feels better and is built better. As far as accuracy:

[video=youtube_share;4Fa8Mdjmv_M]http://youtu.be/4Fa8Mdjmv_M[/video]
    A full review and pictures of it are available at Tippmann Arms M4-22 Review

I also have a "standard" AR lower with a Chiappa upper. I've not had any problems with it but the Tippmann is far more accurate.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I opted to spend the money on a dedicated upper. That way it can be swapped out and a different caliber or length can be used. I also did a Form 1 on a couple lowers and had the barrel cut to 4.5" to keep the bulk ammo from going supersonic all the time. I put a can on it and it is the most fun I have shooting at times. Great for tree rats, nosy raccoons and targets galore.

Have it set with a red dot and dialed in close, but I still hit the gong at the 200 yard mark at the range.

Buy once, cry once I guess. Would still do it all over again if given the chance.

wsleigh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Greensburg
    I prefer the Tippmann over the S&W. It feels better and is built better. As far as accuracy:

[video=youtube_share;4Fa8Mdjmv_M]http://youtu.be/4Fa8Mdjmv_M[/video]
    A full review and pictures of it are available at Tippmann Arms M4-22 Review

I also have a "standard" AR lower with a Chiappa upper. I've not had any problems with it but the Tippmann is far more accurate.

I agree with this. I have a Tippmann as well and it has preformed very well. Accuracy was good out of the box, but I replaced the hand guard with a free floating one. Will see if it helps tighten up the grouping soon.

Top Bottom