• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My boy and I spent a few hours shooting today. The highlight of the day was blowing up a watermelon.

M8Srfvs.gif

I had bought a small one to shoot. He shot it with his Anshutz Woodchucker loaded with a 42 gr subsonic hollowpoint.......and blew out the top half. I finished it off with a Agullia mini slug from my 12 gauge. So I grabbed the big one I had bought to eat and we both shot it at the same time.

Here is a half speed GIF. I'll upload a YT video later.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Great memories, my own grown children ,and grandchildren were over to our house yesterday, and my middle daughter brought up the fact that we all had fun back in the day shooting together.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Careful there, you're inside the blast radius! :D

Looks like a great time. :yesway:

I was hoping we were in the blast radius. My son got a small chunk on his shirt and thought it was the best. I also brought along a tub of army men. Those make great but really hard to hit targets. But when you hit one it's exciting. My son had a tough time but it was a good learning experience for him. He did get two of them and boy was he ecstatic when he did.

z0uL4pR.jpg

We shot a lot. My father-in-law brought out some of his stuff that hadn't been out of the safe in over 30 years. This included a 8" Python that was his silhouette gun from the late 70's/early 80's. Also a Colt 1911 Officers the my wife PUT THE FIRST EVER SHOTS THROUGH!!!!" Her dad didn't tell us that untill afterwards. He also has a sweet 3" Model 29 that we put some .44 sp through.

66XCC6M.png

It was my first time ever shooting Colt wheelgun. That trigger was so nice. I'll post a few pics later.

We finished the evening with some clay pigeon shooting. I've got a thrower that goes into the hitch on my truck. My son is the puller. Se had 3 of us smoking the orange domes. Well, I was trying to at least.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Big Tanker: It simply does not get any better than time spent at the range with your son(s). I do the same every chance I get. Bravo!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Fast forward 2 years.

My son who is 9 1/2 shot his first centerfire pistol yesterday. It was his grandpa's Ruger American in 9mm. He loves his full size M&P 22 so I asked if he wanted to try a 9. He said sure. So I loaded up one round in the mag and let him have a shot. He loved it. We then loaded up all the rest of the ammo we hadn't shot, which was 3 rounds, and he finished it off. It's a little heavy for him but he's hooked.

BM9CpVZ.png

vsCzpIw.jpg

Also looking back at the posts from 2018, the Colt my wife was shooting shot it's last shots that day. A house fire took it from this earth about three months after that picture was taken. :(:draw:

Last edited:

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    Took my son and his best friend to shoot my Uzi when they were 11-12 years old and they still talk about it today (he's now 30)! Few things can bond father and son as well as sharing a day at the range. Looks like you had a great Father's Day.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My stepson bought me a couple of boxes of 9mm for Fathers day. He knows I load my own but wanted that as a gift to give me to say "let's go to the range". We went yesterday (in the 90 degree heat!), and took my nephew who doesn't have much gun experience. We had a blast! I let the boys decide what we took. They picked an AR, 9mm Glock MCK, 45ACP, and 44Mag. We went through a few hundred rounds and sweated our butts off. I don't know if they had a favorite, but both enjoyed shooting a couple of my hunting/defense 44mag rounds. My plinking loads are pretty tame, but you can feel it when you shoot the hot loads. Both had a big smile after that!

9VF2wpQ.jpg

bM3VbeJ.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My favorite memories are of my dad, my brother and I shooting, when I was a kid. It is the main reason I'm a gun nut....uh firearm enthusiast.... Great job Big tanker! my son loves to shoot too, he's 18, and just got his LTCH........Won't be long for your son.......lol

Top Bottom