• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This morning in court waiting for the judge to take the bench the subject of dueling was brought up in a "gallows humor" way. I mentioned that it used to be an Olympic sport and got a bunch of slack jawed looks.

So, I think, I bet INGO may not know about this either. So, in the interest of historical interest only, I am starting a thread on Olympic dueling in the 1906 Olympics (shot at dummies) and 1908 (demonstration sport wherein competitors shot at each other using wax projectiles).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_dueling

Olympic Pistol Dueling? - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Df_Bc4BX0AAyejN.jpg:large

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this before. I'm also surprised the primer had enough power to accurately propel the wax bullet up to 30m.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this before. I'm also surprised the primer had enough power to accurately propel the wax bullet up to 30m.

They can. As a kid I shot in the basement with a .38 with paraffin projectiles in the winter. Mom got so mad at me for sticking the Lyman blocks in the fridge in the kitchen.:D I had to use the fridge in the garage.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    This is how we should solve disputes between countries.. both leaders dual at dawn with wax projectiles... two men enter...one man leaves....then later the other guy leaves too

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have reenacted a couple of famous duels...Southern Indiana, while a territory, was where folks from Kentucky dueled as dueling was illegal in Kentucky...

We were able to make it all the way back to the river to a spot that is listed on the map as “Dueling Grounds.” Various duels have been reported there including one between Kentucky statesman Henry Clay and Humphrey Marshall who reportedly traveled across the river to duel in Indiana because it was still legal to do so here.

Silver Creek Dueling Grounds: In the early 1800's dueling was illegal. Prominent Kentuckians found it necessary to defend their lives on Indiana soil in order to avoid their own law enforcement officials. On the west bank of Silver Creek (formerly part of Clarksville, now in New Albany) a recorded duel between Henry Clay and Humphrey Marshall took place. You can take a dirt trail through the Loop Island Wetlands to the mouth of Silver Creek and the Ohio River to think more peaceful thoughts during these wonderful summer days.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dueling could be fun and educational with airsoft and proper safety gear and risk management practices.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    This is a Chicago sport on week ends
    June to Date
    Shot & Killed: 35
    Shot & Wounded: 170
    Total Shot: 205
    Total Homicides: 41

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    [QUOTE
    So, I think, I bet INGO may not know about this either. So, in the interest of historical interest only, I am starting a thread on Olympic dueling in the 1906 Olympics (shot at dummies) and 1908 (demonstration sport wherein competitors shot at each other using wax projectiles).

[/QUOTE]

The Forgotten Weapons guy did a nice little close up of those a little while back...

https://www.full30.com/video/0384054d8dae3c537e280671a9db1b63

Now no Turkic language translations needed this time :( .. But fire up Doggydaddy and he will be can sound like
    pepe le pew when he translates some of the boxes for you all ..

397547_1.jpg

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    The Biathlon, originally called Military Patrol, used to be a practical shooting competition shot with full size service rifles and field uniforms. The attached image is the German team in the 1928 Winter Olympics.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-05443%2C_St._Moritz%2C_Winterolympiade.jpg

Also at one point Bayonet Fencing was a recognized sport, but I can't find any specific citations. I think it was mainly a French thing?

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That is a nice photo.. as a child I loved that sport the most in the winter Olympics but was always disappointed when they pulled out those Olympic rifles to shoot.. I remember the annoncer telling how those rifles (at the time) Cost 100s of dollars and had to be special made.. And I could not believe it because they looked like crap, did not even look like a real gun... I had better looking toys at the time... Then I could not believe they were 22s.. I had bigger calibers then that...

biathalon-660x367.jpg

The Biathlon, originally called Military Patrol, used to be a practical shooting competition shot with full size service rifles and field uniforms. The attached image is the German team in the 1928 Winter Olympics.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-05443%2C_St._Moritz%2C_Winterolympiade.jpg

Also at one point Bayonet Fencing was a recognized sport, but I can't find any specific citations. I think it was mainly a French thing?

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Top Bottom