Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tragedy compounded by the fact that it was 100% avoidable. Multiple stupid decisions had to be made to make this happen.

Learn and re-learn from these things. It's a reminder to us all to be ever vigilant to practice appropriate risk management procedures when firearms are present.

This reminded me of an incident from when I attended an informal shooting event at a birthday party. One young man had a negligent discharge with a 12ga while shooting being thrown. I thought of leaving then, but I realized I was needed. Later when a number of firearms were on a table while people were downrange changing targets, the same buffoon started to grab a pistol from the table. I stopped him and told him to touch any of the guns while people were downrange. His response was, "It's okay, it's not loaded." I told him that it didn't matter, he wasn't going to touch any of the guns while people were downrange. He didn't like it and I didn't win a new friend, but also didn't injure or kill anyone.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    When I'm at a range with more than one person. I typically leave all the actions open when someone is down range.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    When I first used Kingbury range 20+ years ago. It was uncontrolled. WE (several other shooters) called out to replace targets.
    Everyone stopped shooting. As we were replacing them. A man started shooting. When everyone called out.
    His replay was, I know where I am shooting.
    One man approached him. he just looked at him and said, I do not see so good. Be careful when you go down range. I might not see you down there.
    At the Winamac range. We called out to replace targets on the 100 yard range. when we started shooting again. I started seeing holes in my target.
    I looked down the tables. I seen a barrel at a big angle towards my target. When I approached the man. he said OH I thought you put it up for everyone.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    When I'm at a range with more than one person. I typically leave all the actions open when someone is down range.

Same here. I drill it into my kids also (granted, unless I am at work, they are the only ones shooting with me). Nobody goes down range unless all actions are open and nobody touches a firearm. It seems obvious to me that it is the way a range should be run.

I will admit that I see where this gentleman thought he was doing the right thing by making the firearm safe, but obviously should not have touched it with someone going down range. Hind sight is always 20/20, and I don't really have any words for how tragic the incident is.

In similar situations where my son has gotten excited and run for the target after shooting (it happens), I have called him back to the rifle to clear it himself (and then given him the obvious safety lecture). I would never touch it while he, or anyone else, was down range.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Same here. I drill it into my kids also (granted, unless I am at work, they are the only ones shooting with me). Nobody goes down range unless all actions are open and nobody touches a firearm.

I will admit that I see where this gentleman thought he was doing the right thing by making the firearm safe, but obviously should not have touched it with someone going down range. Hind sight is always 20/20, and I don't really have any words for how tragic the incident is.

In similar situations where my son has gotten excited and run for the target after shooting (it happens), I have called him back to the rifle to clear it himself (and then given him the obvious safety lecture). I would never touch it while he, or anyone else, was down range.

Not to mention the fact that he clearly was not aware (or didn't care) where the muzzle was pointed while he was doing it.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Not to mention the fact that he clearly was not aware (or didn't care) where the muzzle was pointed while he was doing it.

For sure.

My thumb slipped off the hammer on one of my Henrys a couple years ago while hunting out in my woods. I thought I had a shot, but decided I didn't like the background. It was cold and rainy. My hand slipped off the hammer extension and the rifle fired. It happens, but I had it facing a safe direction and down at the ground.

That incident is why my 1894 still has the cross bolt safety in it despite the fact that I initially intended to remove it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Tragedy compounded by the fact that it was 100% avoidable. Multiple stupid decisions had to be made to make this happen.

Learn and re-learn from these things. It's a reminder to us all to be ever vigilant to practice appropriate risk management procedures when firearms are present.

This reminded me of an incident from when I attended an informal shooting event at a birthday party. One young man had a negligent discharge with a 12ga while shooting being thrown. I thought of leaving then, but I realized I was needed. Later when a number of firearms were on a table while people were downrange changing targets, the same buffoon started to grab a pistol from the table. I stopped him and told him to touch any of the guns while people were downrange. His response was, "It's okay, it's not loaded." I told him that it didn't matter, he wasn't going to touch any of the guns while people were downrange. He didn't like it and I didn't win a new friend, but also didn't injure or kill anyone.

It's usually what you hear right before the BANG.

Over at the range the rule is to take a step back from the bench with all the guns that are pointed down range, whenever the range is cold and someone is changing targets.

You can't even load magazines or whatnot.

Three months ago two men (age 20 and 23) were shot at a local gun range here in France.
    Someone was storing away his loaded .308 rifle in its case when it "went off", the same bullet hit the two men in the stomach.

One patient was evacuated by helicopter from the range to the hospital but later died at the ER.
    Since it was an outdoor range they were able to land directly on site.

varpqrxxq551_pha_fd-t-23479585.jpg

Two ambulances and a fast responce car, with physicians, on board in front of the shooting club.

blesses-stand-tir-frejusien.jpg

The second patient survived.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Some people gristle when at a Revere's Rider's event, the hosts get really tough on being safe. I applaud that and that is why I try to send new shooters to those events.

Once the line is done shooting, firearms must be unloaded, mags out, actions open, safety on, chamber flag in, muzzle over the line facing downrange and finally step away from it and don't go near it until instructed. Then after everyone is off the line, someone running the event walks the line and looks for anything missed. If he/she finds one item not adhered to, that gun owner will hear about it and so will everyone else.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    More than once, somebody downrange placing a target...........has had others start shooting.
    Some folks think if they are a couple of benches down from the target setting person, it's OK.

Hell I had some knucklehead practicing with his carry rig at a range.
    When done he loads the mag and goes to chamber one.
    Not enough dexterity, finesse, strength to do it with gun pointed down range.............he turns to better grab the slide.
    And sends one up the pipe with the gun pointed at my head (was next bench over).
    Finger not outside trigger guard either.
    Coulda Glock'd me.
    Stupid &^%$$#@@
    Just one of many.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Some people gristle when at a Revere's Rider's event, the hosts get really tough on being safe. I applaud that and that is why I try to send new shooters to those events.

Once the line is done shooting, firearms must be unloaded, mags out, actions open, safety on, chamber flag in, muzzle over the line facing downrange and finally step away from it and don't go near it until instructed. Then after everyone is off the line, someone running the event walks the line and looks for anything missed. If he/she finds one item not adhered to, that gun owner will hear about it and so will everyone else.

THIS.

And if you don't get many chances to screw this up. It's pretty much a three strikes and you're out situation.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's usually what you hear right before the BANG.

Over at the range the rule is to take a step back from the bench with all the guns that are pointed down range, whenever the range is cold and someone is changing targets.

You can't even load magazines or whatnot.

Three months ago two men (age 20 and 23) were shot at a local gun range here in France.
    Someone was storing away his loaded .308 rifle in its case when it "went off", the same bullet hit the two men in the stomach.

One patient was evacuated by helicopter from the range to the hospital but later died at the ER.
    Since it was an outdoor range they were able to land directly on site.

varpqrxxq551_pha_fd-t-23479585.jpg

Two ambulances and a fast responce car, with physicians, on board in front of the shooting club.

blesses-stand-tir-frejusien.jpg

The second patient survived.

Who the fork stores a loaded rifle in a case?

Top Bottom