• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I have to travel for work and stay in a hotel for a few days (regularly). I can't carry in work so I have to leave the gun somewhere during office hours. I don't have a safe or anything for the car yet, but I plan on getting something that I can anchor with a security cable. The hotel doesn't have safes in the rooms. The car is parked in a public indoor parking lot next to the hotel. I would like to hear people's opinions on where/how I should store my gun when I'm at work.

My questions are:

1. Car or hotel room?

and

2. If car, trunk or passenger compartment?

I ask 2 because I'm not sure if there's anything in the trunk that I can attach the cable to, but I could probably attach it under one of the front seats. On the other hand, the trunk is probably less likely to be opened.

Thoughts? Thanks!

GlocKnuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2018
    Charleston
    I have one of these in the passenger compartment of the wife and my cars. http://a.co/7U0mCHt I tuck it under the seat whenever I have to leave my EDC behind.
    I'm likely over thinking this, but I figure if a situation requires me to retreat to my car for cover, I'll want the gun inside versus in the trunk where I'd have to stand outside to retrieve it. Again, I know that this scenario is a super unlikely to ever happen, but it's still the rationale that drove my decision. LOL

Best of luck!

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Car - if you aren’t in your hotel room. Others have access to your room when you aren’t there.

Out of line of sight is the most important thing, in my opinion. Under a seat with the cable connected to the frame of the seat would be a good choice. If you wanted to put the safe in the trunk, you could connect the cable to the arms which hold the trunk lid. It wouldn’t be the most streamlined connection but would be fairly secure.

Keep in mind most cables can be cut with a good pair or bolt cutters. Cables don’t provide the most security, but they are convenient. A better option if you have some mechanical aptitude is to bolt a safe to the frame of your vehicle. Can be done in the trunk or behind a folding seat, or some companies make safes that go inside the center console.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I have one of these in the passenger compartment of the wife and my cars. http://a.co/7U0mCHt I tuck it under the seat whenever I have to leave my EDC behind.
    I'm likely over thinking this, but I figure if a situation requires me to retreat to my car for cover, I'll want the gun inside versus in the trunk where I'd have to stand outside to retrieve it. Again, I know that this scenario is a super unlikely to ever happen, but it's still the rationale that drove my decision. LOL

Best of luck!

I have been thinking about this myself. The two pack from Amazon seems like a really good deal, and I like the cables built in.

Obviously, this is not a strongbox that will completely eliminate a theft, but it would be reasonably secure.

Time for me to get the credit card out, but looking forward to hearing other responses as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Big concern for vehicle security is NOT being a target. Don't give anyone any impression at there is anything worth stealing in the car.

No decals
    No items that could be of any interest in passenger compartment. Duffel bags, etc
    No electronics/wires laying around to see

Don't gun up or gun down any place you will be leaving your car.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Big concern for vehicle security is NOT being a target. Don't give anyone any impression at there is anything worth stealing in the car.

No decals
    No items that could be of any interest in passenger compartment. Duffel bags, etc

That's a good point, although really there's no way out of having to drop the gun off in the car in the mornings, assuming I keep it in my hotel room overnight. I always keep an eye out for anyone that might be hanging around, and it's usually just other hotel guests not paying any attention to me.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Car - if you aren’t in your hotel room. Others have access to your room when you aren’t there.

Out of line of sight is the most important thing, in my opinion.

I agree. Personally, if I was going to be leaving it in my vehicle, I would leave it in the trunk. Depending on the vehicle, you could place it in the compartment where the spare tire or tire changing tools are. I'd be less worried about securing the cable in the trunk than I would be just hiding the safe all together. A thief can cut a cable, but won't steal what he/she does not know is there.

GlocKnuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2018
    Charleston

No decals

Very much this. This is the precise reason my work car is a '06 Chevy HHR that hasn't seen the inside of a car wash in several years... well, this & the fact that car payments eat into my ammo fund. lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Best of luck!

I use one. But I have the cable wrapped around the passenger seat, and I keep the box in the pouch that's on the back of the passenger seat.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

These are excellent. We've been very happy with ours. Bought 2 of them back when we got our 4Runners in 2013. The steel is nice and thick, it's rolled so you can't get something in there to trip the lock, it would take a full size crowbar and a decent amount of time & trouble to get inside. It's nice you can set your own combination.

All future vehicles will get one as well.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I have thoughts about this too. I have a hatchback and thought the best place would be in the back, under the mat where the spare is. I found I could cut the hard foam to one side and install a small lock box with the security cable going to a hard point. A thin rubber mat on top would conceal it if the regular mat were to be lifted. But since the car will be sold/traded soon I have not done this in reality. Did I mention my car is NOT blue?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't leave my luggage in the room during the day on multiple day stays. I leave nothing to be rifled through, plus you never know what might happen during the day.

Trunk of the car gets my vote.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

No decals

Just had to spend a couple of days in Chicago. I would stop a couple of blocks before reaching my destination and secure my gun in my console safe. Also remove any other visible valuables, radar detector, etc. Cover the things in the back with a black towel so a casual look through the tinted windows would just see a black seat. Then I drive those last two blocks, exit my car and lock it so no one scoping out the parking lot sees me hiding all my crap.

Great thinking on the What If.

I had one of these too. Enough for the casual thief perhaps but the cable and the case itself are on the weak side. I currently use mine if visiting relatives who have kids. I will lock up my gun in the case inside my suitcase when not carrying (like in the shower, etc.) so untrained kids have no access.

These are excellent. We've been very happy with ours. Bought 2 of them back when we got our 4Runners in 2013. The steel is nice and thick, it's rolled so you can't get something in there to trip the lock, it would take a full size crowbar and a decent amount of time & trouble to get inside. It's nice you can set your own combination.

I have one of these too. Well made and elegant install. Mine is by Tuffy but in researching I think they are all made by the same manufacturer as they have identical features.

324.jpg

Top Bottom