• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I had a chance about one month ago to take my new Ruger Scout in 450 Bushmaster to the range.

Here's a pic of the new rifle with extended eye relief scope mounted:
    DSC01110_zpsvxevyvvw.jpg

Out of 7 rounds I had 5 misfires with very shallow strikes on the primers.

So I took it back to the dealer, explained the situation, and they sent it back to Ruger. A few weeks later I got a call to come pick it up. No charge.

Ruger took the bolt apart, cleaned it, replaced the firing pin spring. Test fired 10 rounds at the factory no problem. Sent it back and I picked it up last weekend, although I haven't fired it yet.

I will say that the two rounds that I fired cut overlapping holes in the target at 50 yards. So I expect it's going to be a real nice straight shooter.

Just wanted to compliment Ruger on the fast turn-around and no questions-asked-service.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    it's nice when a companies customer service is on top of things

This was only the second time I've had to send a new rifle back to the factory. The first time was in 1986. I had purchased a Remington Model 7400, a semi-auto rifle, in .270 win. That rifle was the proverbial jam-o-matic. Wouldn't cycle without jamming. Sent it back to the factory, they sent it back, no change, just as bad. Took it back to the dealer. Was so long ago now that I don't remember if they refunded my money or if I traded for something different, but I think I traded it. Remington eventually stopped making that Rifle in .270. I don't know if that was because of the jamming issue or not. Needless to say, I wan't too happy about that experience.

This Ruger is the second rifle I've sent back to the factory. Although I thought it was odd that a brand new rifle would have firing pin issues, stuff happens, and Ruger turned it around very quickly. I still have to do the range test, but hopefully the problem is gone.

Last edited:

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I had a similar great experience. I bought 2 1911s and after a few months noticed rust under the grips. They replaced both frames, paid the shipping and the FFL fee.

Laker38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    Northeast
    I, also, had favorable experience with Ruger CS. This was several decades back. They replaced a new revolver that had a very minor issue. Glad to hear they're still on top of things.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I had a 10/22 Takedown Limited edition with accuracy issues. They paid for shipping and replaced it. It was a 'new' firearm to me, so I had to pay the $20 transfer fee, but I had no problem with that. Stuff happens.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Always good vibes from Ruger CS here. (Replaced two mags for my LC9, no questions asked)

As for the problems themselves...nothing made by Man is perfect. If they are willing to fix it, kudos to them.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I bought a Ruger Precision rim fire and after a few weeks I noticed that the front trigger guard screw was partially stripped, (looks like they didn’t have it seated on the Allen head correctly when they torqued it down), I called them and 3 days later the wrong screw arrived at my door (they sent 2) I called them back on a Thursday and the following Monday I got the correct one

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Only had to deal with Ruger CS once and the experience was first rate. Had a Ruger Mk3 that jammed often. Found a problem with the bolt, sent them a picture and they shipped out a replacement. Couldn't have been any easier.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Everyone gets it wrong once in a while, but I don't know that I recall ever hearing a ding on Ruger's customer service.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Of all the gunmakers I've had the opportunity to deal with in my 20-year career in the business, Ruger and S&W easily have the best CS departments. You can always get an English-speaking human being on the phone, they will send out small parts without hassle, will send prepaid return labels for guns, and are reasonably quick to turn repairs around. That said, I give the edge to S&W for going above and beyond; I have sent them two rental revolvers this year (both were bought used and have been in service at IAC since day 1) that were just shot out – a 617 whose accuracy and reliability suddenly went to **** for reasons we could not determine, and a Model 60 with a cracked forcing cone. They sent us return labels for both, then rebarreled, cleaned, test-fired and returned them at no cost to us. :o They also did a similar service for one of our customers who bought a police trade-in Model 64 with a bad barrel.

Contrast that with a certain other revolver maker with a lifetime warrantied product that failed to get us a small part for a customer's gun for nearly a YEAR despite repeated assurances they would do so, or a derringer maker that wanted $260 to replace the barrel stack on a gun that cost maybe $300 new (and for which we had only paid $100 used), or the pistol maker that insisted we send a customer's gun in to them to be worked on (at our expense) rather than sending us the small parts for our certified gunsmith to install.

Ruger and S&W, keep up the exemplary work.

Top Bottom