• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Picked up a new holster for a 1911ish Sig. Got it home opened it up out pop the insert giving directions as to putting the gun into a plastic bag to stretch the holster. It is very stiff and almost 1\4 of the trigger guard is exposed. For me this is a no go no way to carry. Do I get the plastic bag and see where it goes or just return it. It is supposed to e a firearm specific holster.

Thoughts

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If it's a leather holster, the plastic bag will help break it in. I think I had the same question a while back. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It was just a comment in another thread.

IIRC, aren't Sig 1911's a little wider than a standard 1911? Maybe a different profile? Seems I've heard of holster issues before.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Spray some rubbing alcohol/water mix on the inside, put the gun in a heavy plastic bag, insert and leave over night. If it's still too tight, it's probably not actually for that gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive seen elsewehere that sigs take different holsters than other 1911s. At least the ones with the rail do.

I'd see how well it fits without the bag. Ive seen the plastic add enough to a gun to prevent it from fitting properly. If it doesnt cover the entire guard without the bag, I'd say its the wrong holster.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Sig makes 2 different styles of 1911s. There design and a traditional. My traditional one I had worked with standard 1911 holsters.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Is the leather forming lining up with the shape of gun in the trigger guard area? If you have a distance to go until it is "lined-up", you'll need to break it in, as detailed above. If it is lined up, then I'd contact the manufacture and express your concern.

If the holster is not formed to the shape of the gun - you are just gonna have to work it in.

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    Just imo. When I build holsters i don't add alcohol. It can suck too much oil from the leather. Otoh I oil inside and out when it dries overnight.

The thing some may balk at is the holster gets the water soak in boiling water!
    I use a couple of bread wrappers, not heavy plastic.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Is the leather forming lining up with the shape of gun in the trigger guard area? If you have a distance to go until it is "lined-up", you'll need to break it in, as detailed above. If it is lined up, then I'd contact the manufacture and express your concern.

If the holster is not formed to the shape of the gun - you are just gonna have to work it in.
    correct the slide will not fully insert leaving a ways to go. The holster also pushes the slide back, when holstering. Not a big deal because of condition 1 carry, but I don't want to fight it to draw. The package specifically states non railed si g 1911

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom