Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Question about selling firearms on behalf of family member

I have a question regarding the legality of helping a family member sell some of his firearms. My BILís father recently passed away and left him a number of rifles and shotguns. I believe thereís around 10 firearms total. Neither my BIL and sister are gun people, not really into outdoors or shooting, and they want to get rid of the collection. I donít mind helping, just cleans to make sure everything is on the up & up.

Can an I take possession and actually do the sales? Or does my BIL have to do everything since they are his firearms? We live on opposite ends of the state so it would make it a lot easier if he didnít have to be present. Every time I try to search for this topic, I get pages on straw purchases or gifting firearms to a family member. Since Iím selling, I donít feel this falls into either of those categories.

The other option would be try to sell as a package but I feel it would cut down buyers or they would have to sell for less $$. Then we both only have to be at one transaction.

Thanks in advance,

User Info Menu

Folks sell guns on behalf of friends/family all the time on INGO. Nothing illegal about it.
    'Til that time I will remain, 'til the sinners lay down with the saints.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsharmon7 View Post
    Folks sell guns on behalf of friends/family all the time on INGO. Nothing illegal about it.
    THIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

If you're REALLY worried, have him go online and get a fill-in Power of Attorney. Just cost Notary fee after that. When you get it, file it with your county recorder. About $5-10.
    Then you're his legal agent.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by masterdekoy View Post

Can an I take possession and actually do the sales? Or does my BIL have to do everything since they are his firearms? We live on opposite ends of the state so it would make it a lot easier if he didnít have to be present.
    Assuming that means you both are residents of the same state, it's fine for you to take them and sell them.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Assuming that means you both are residents of the same state, it's fine for you to take them and sell them.
    Thanks, we are both Indiana residents.

Thanks all for the feedback. Figured it was ok, but as I have never done this and I was having trouble finding anything definitive on the subject I wanted to double check. Laws can be a little confusing at time.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Got a link your INGO classified adds for these guns you are talking about?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Got a link your INGO classified adds for these guns you are talking about?
    Just preliminary research at this point, have to figure out what they are worth. Once I figure that out, weíll see if I put them up here. Iíll let you know if you are looking to buy something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by masterdekoy View Post
    Just preliminary research at this point, have to figure out what they are worth. Once I figure that out, weíll see if I put them up here. Iíll let you know if you are looking to buy something.
    Give you tree fiddy for it all
    ďSon, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.Ē -Chesty Puller

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sethr View Post
    If you're REALLY worried, have him go online and get a fill-in Power of Attorney. Just cost Notary fee after that. When you get it, file it with your county recorder. About $5-10.
    Then you're his legal agent.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    I'm not giving someone power of attorney for something like this... but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein
    I am trying to turn every thread I involve myself in into a **** show.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast