• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I have a question regarding the legality of helping a family member sell some of his firearms. My BIL’s father recently passed away and left him a number of rifles and shotguns. I believe there’s around 10 firearms total. Neither my BIL and sister are gun people, not really into outdoors or shooting, and they want to get rid of the collection. I don’t mind helping, just cleans to make sure everything is on the up & up.

Can an I take possession and actually do the sales? Or does my BIL have to do everything since they are his firearms? We live on opposite ends of the state so it would make it a lot easier if he didn’t have to be present. Every time I try to search for this topic, I get pages on straw purchases or gifting firearms to a family member. Since I’m selling, I don’t feel this falls into either of those categories.

The other option would be try to sell as a package but I feel it would cut down buyers or they would have to sell for less $$. Then we both only have to be at one transaction.

Thanks in advance,

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    If you're REALLY worried, have him go online and get a fill-in Power of Attorney. Just cost Notary fee after that. When you get it, file it with your county recorder. About $5-10.
    Then you're his legal agent.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can an I take possession and actually do the sales? Or does my BIL have to do everything since they are his firearms? We live on opposite ends of the state so it would make it a lot easier if he didn’t have to be present.

Assuming that means you both are residents of the same state, it's fine for you to take them and sell them.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Assuming that means you both are residents of the same state, it's fine for you to take them and sell them.

Thanks, we are both Indiana residents.

Thanks all for the feedback. Figured it was ok, but as I have never done this and I was having trouble finding anything definitive on the subject I wanted to double check. Laws can be a little confusing at time.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Got a link your INGO classified adds for these guns you are talking about?

Just preliminary research at this point, have to figure out what they are worth. Once I figure that out, we’ll see if I put them up here. I’ll let you know if you are looking to buy something. ;)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you're REALLY worried, have him go online and get a fill-in Power of Attorney. Just cost Notary fee after that. When you get it, file it with your county recorder. About $5-10.
    Then you're his legal agent.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I'm not giving someone power of attorney for something like this... but that's me.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Just preliminary research at this point, have to figure out what they are worth. Once I figure that out, we’ll see if I put them up here. I’ll let you know if you are looking to buy something. ;)

Here's what I would do, and have done in the past when my older brother (estate executor) asked me to sell a few of the rifles from my folks estate. *Sold two of them here on INGO.

Make two copies of a list of the guns, including serial numbers. Come to an agreement on each pieces AVERAGE value (do a little research on each long gun), and then set an ASKING price and a minimum price for each firearm. Make another document (2 copies) in which he gives you, A. Permission to posses and sell the firearms on his behalf. B. authorization to ship the firearms from your location, after payment.

Agree verbally, for you to take possession of the guns for the purpose of selling them, as his agent. Then place your ads (wherever), and in the ads (if shipping).... ask for TWO checks; one for the agreed price of the rifle, and one for the cost of shipping. You can either have both payments sent to you (and forward the PRICE check, to him), or 'selling price' check sent to his address and shipping funds sent to your address. Once payment clears on both checks, ship the firearm.

If taking payment via PayPal.... you'll need to work something out with your BIL, so that you don't eat the shipping costs.

Then, BOTH OF YOU should note the sale date, price, etc on your copy of the overall list.... as well as the shipping info: buyers name, date shipped, via XXX, and FFL firearm was shipped to). -Lee

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Here's what I would do, and have done in the past when my older brother (estate executor) asked me to sell a few of the rifles from my folks estate. *Sold two of them here on INGO.

Make two copies of a list of the guns, including serial numbers. Come to an agreement on each pieces AVERAGE value (do a little research on each long gun), and then set an ASKING price and a minimum price for each firearm. Make another document (2 copies) in which he gives you, A. Permission to posses and sell the firearms on his behalf. B. authorization to ship the firearms from your location, after payment.

Agree verbally, for you to take possession of the guns for the purpose of selling them, as his agent. Then place your ads (wherever), and in the ads (if shipping).... ask for TWO checks; one for the agreed price of the rifle, and one for the cost of shipping. You can either have both payments sent to you (and forward the PRICE check, to him), or 'selling price' check sent to his address and shipping funds sent to your address. Once payment clears on both checks, ship the firearm.

If taking payment via PayPal.... you'll need to work something out with your BIL, so that you don't eat the shipping costs.

Then, BOTH OF YOU should note the sale date, price, etc on your copy of the overall list.... as well as the shipping info: buyers name, date shipped, via XXX, and FFL firearm was shipped to). -Lee

Thanks, great ideas here.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I bet paypal would be happy to know you're using paypal for firearm sales.

I personally don't use PP for anything. Feel free to check any and all of my past ads here in the INGO classified. That 'notice' is in every ad of mine.

But it is done, all the time, and pretty much everyone knows it, including the peeps at PP.

Top Bottom