• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have a Galco 3 slot for my 1911. Seems like lately I have noticed the leather has become somewhat soft. It's about 2 years old. Today I checked it turned it upside down with a clear 1911 in it and shook it the pistol stayed in place. So I am thinking all is good? Assuming as long retention is good it's fine?
    What is the average service life of a holster?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a Galco 3 slot for my 1911. Seems like lately I have noticed the leather has become somewhat soft. It's about 2 years old. Today I checked it turned it upside down with a clear 1911 in it and shook it the pistol stayed in place. So I am thinking all is good? Assuming as long retention is good it's fine?
    I can't answer your questions because I use kydex. But if you're looking for a spare/replacement I've seen some stoner holsters lately that look really nice.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    A quality leather holster will last years, I’ve a 10 year old Milt Sparks that is as strong now as it was then. Proper care is essential, no leather softeners at all. 2 years is way to soon for a Galco. Call them, they will help you out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Depends on quality of materials, design, and use. I've got revolver holsters from the 1950s that are in excellent shape, but they are simple designs with low stress on the components and quality leather.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    A quality leather holster will last years, I’ve a 10 year old Milt Sparks that is as strong now as it was then. Proper care is essential, no leather softeners at all. 2 years is way to soon for a Galco. Call them, they will help you out.
    I have never really done anything to it other than wipe it down a microfiber towel. No cleaners etc. The belt loops are rigid. So I am not sure if there is an issue?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If it collapses when you draw that would be unsafe. I can draw and reholster with no issues with my Galco Combat Master. It closes slightly when the gun is out, but not enough to make it dangerous when reholstering if I'm being careful. I can even do it one handed without problems. If it closed any further or collapsed so that the material interfered with holstering the gun, I'd stop using it and send it back to Galco.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Still using Heiser leather made back at the turn of the century, quality and how well it's cared for are everything.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Galco is very good at marketing and packaging and their stuff does look nice but as you see they don't have very good longevity. They do tend to get soft around the holster mouth which is exactly where you don't want it. Unfortunately for leather you have to buy quality, there are many good companies out there, just a few are Kramer, Alessi, Milt Sparks, and Mitch Rosen. Really though with some of the Galco stuff bringing more $$ than they used to you can go to a higher end company for not much more.

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I got a used tagua iwb holster 3 years ago and used it for a glock 26 5 days a week for a year then it sat for another year and its been used again for a sccy cpx2. It has lost some retention over time but still not an issue. I personally like leather for iwb.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've got the Galco 3 slot for my 1911 also. Not an issue with it .
    I've got the C.O.P. model for a Sig 226 that's every bit of 15 yrs old. Carried it almost everyday for the last 12. Still firm and holds the gun secure.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I got a used tagua iwb holster 3 years ago and used it for a glock 26 5 days a week for a year then it sat for another year and its been used again for a sccy cpx2. It has lost some retention over time but still not an issue. I personally like leather for iwb.
    Why in the world would you use a FITTED leather holster for anything but the gun it was FITTED FOR? Did you stuff it with wadded paper to regulate the SCCY?:rolleyes:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Galco is very good at marketing and packaging and their stuff does look nice but as you see they don't have very good longevity. They do tend to get soft around the holster mouth which is exactly where you don't want it. Unfortunately for leather you have to buy quality, there are many good companies out there, just a few are Kramer, Alessi, Milt Sparks, and Mitch Rosen. Really though with some of the Galco stuff bringing more $$ than they used to you can go to a higher end company for not much more.
    I would have to disagree, although I don’t use Galco holsters any longer, they and Desantis, are the best OFF THE SHELF fitted leather holsters money can buy. No other companies have the detail Galco does in a mass production holster. While they aren’t the best, at their price point they can’t be beat for walk in with a gun and walk out with a holster. The tanning is excellent, the stitching and materials are top notch, and their warranty is above reproach. I have had a defective Galco in the past, and it was remedied immediately. Again, these are OFF THE SHELF holsters, and my Rosen, Sparks, Kramer, Alexssi, or Arrotoonian holsters beat any mass produced example hands down. For what they are, the average gun owner is doing well to purchase one.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I prefer leather, I own (and actually use) Galco, Tagua, and TT gunleather. All are quality and each serve their purpose well. I expect the $40 Galcos and Taguas to wear out faster than the $120 TT gunleather but that's usually the nature of the business and all that.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I would have to disagree, although I don’t use Galco holsters any longer, they and Desantis, are the best OFF THE SHELF fitted leather holsters money can buy. No other companies have the detail Galco does in a mass production holster. While they aren’t the best, at their price point they can’t be beat for walk in with a gun and walk out with a holster. The tanning is excellent, the stitching and materials are top notch, and their warranty is above reproach. I have had a defective Galco in the past, and it was remedied immediately. Again, these are OFF THE SHELF holsters, and my Rosen, Sparks, Kramer, Alexssi, or Arrotoonian holsters beat any mass produced example hands down. For what they are, the average gun owner is doing well to purchase one.

I have yet to find a readily available ankle holster that can beat a galco.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    There isn’t one, the only other is Alessi, and they take a minute.

While I don't have any hands on experience with the alessi. It seems that with it being more leather it would be hotter. Couple that with the 6 month + wait and almost double the price tag I'll stick with galco.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I love my galco and desantis holsters. I have several galco iwb or belt holsters and also galco ankle holsters as well as desantis ankle holsters
    The desantis ankle holsters are very good too and I carry an ankle holster every day.
    For IWB I use kydex anymore not leather

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I love my galco and desantis holsters. I have several galco iwb or belt holsters and also galco ankle holsters as well as desantis ankle holsters
    The desantis ankle holsters are very good too and I carry an ankle holster every day.
    For IWB I use kydex anymore not leather
    I ankle carry a 26 in the colder months, but quit during the summer months because people laugh and point because they say it looks “weird” with shorts?

Top Bottom