• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • websbydoc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2018
    Scottsburg
    Went to Whittaker guns to restock on 9mm and .380 ammo.
    found some good deals....9mm for $10/50 rounds and .380 for $11/50 rounds.....

great deals......loaded up my cart, fully expecting free shipping.....and in
    my cart not only am i going to be charged 9.99 for shipping but $28.50
    more in something called federal hazardous charges......this now doubles
    my cost....

I bought some .45 ammo just this last March, 2018....no shipping, no feds

whats the deal?......federal hazardous charges?...... something new to deal with?

Jay:dunno:

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Id find a new online dealer. Only thing ive ever seen hazmat charges for is powder and primers. Plenty of better deals on the 9mm ammo too if you buy at least 500 rounds. Heck, even Academy has 200 round boxes of Winchester 9mm for $38 with free shipping

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    yes i saw that.....but you have to buy a case......anything less and there is a charge

Sounds like a BS charge to me. I don't see it included at any of the other online ammo sites (for just retail ammo). If you don't want to buy by the case, SGAmmo is usually pretty comparable in pricing, without the need to buy a full case. They (TargetSportsUSA) also have a Prime Ammo membership for $95 per year which allows you to have free shipping on any quantity of ammo purchased, plus you get 8% off every order. I'm only about 7 months into my membership and I've already saved $105, $10 more than I paid for the membership. In the next 5 months, I know I'll be able to rack that up to saving at least $50 or more over the cost of the membership.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Sounds like a mistake was made on their end as long as there was no primers or powder in the order. Call them and a I bet they will refund the incorrect charge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen this on a few sites plus always witch what S/H is being charged.
    I use Case Club products to take my guns to the range. Great pieces. Well made and reasonably priced. I logged on last night to buy another 5 pistol carry case. Pricing was fair. Got to check out and the least amount for S/H was $30.....WTF people.
    Off to Amazon for free shipping. Screw that crap and not the 1st time I have seen it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I use Case Club products to take my guns to the range. Great pieces. Well made and reasonably priced. I logged on last night to buy another 5 pistol carry case. Pricing was fair. Got to check out and the least amount for S/H was $30.....WTF people.
    Off to Amazon for free shipping. Screw that crap and not the 1st time I have seen it.

The flambeau factory outlet store in Columbus is my go to. 40 percent off hunting and shooting cases. Terrible hours tho.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One word -- Brownells.

Yep, shipping charges kind of suck, but just concerned about getting counterfeit items on some things at Amazon these days.

I recently went to order something from an online retailer (same exact item I had ordered before) and the shipping charge had doubled. The CSR on the online chat indicated that they ship from multiple warehouses and depending on where it would come from the charge varied... not sure I'm buying it that the fee doubled for this particular item for that reason or not. And it did make me reconsider that purchase for now.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Wow, I wasn't aware there was a Flambeau factory outlet in Columbus... I may have to look that up. I used to like their fishing storage stuff alot.

It's actually the front office of their factory near the airport. 9 to 5 and closed for lunch. Excellent pelican style cases, and ammo boxes are 1/2 what they are anywhere else. Sometimes they have range bags which are excellent values.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've ordered a lot of ammo over the years from Midway, Midsouth, & Brownells. Never paid a hazmat fee on ammo. I'm thinking there's a glitch in Whittaker system or programming.

Just ordered 8 lbs of AA 2230 from Midway USA. They have a promo going on right now with no hazmat fee on orders of select powders over $150. 8 lb jug was $173.99, 99 cents shipping, $1.02 NRA Roundup. Total $176. Don't know if the promo applies to ammo or not.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One word -- Brownells.

It's actually the front office of their factory near the airport. 9 to 5 and closed for lunch. Excellent pelican style cases, and ammo boxes are 1/2 what they are anywhere else. Sometimes they have range bags which are excellent values.

Just looked it up. Would love to check it out, but yeah probably not going to happen with those hours, but I'm guessing that also helps keep things cheap since they only need to staff it when there would be people there anyway then...

Flambeau Outlet Store Columbus, Indiana
    Located at Flambeau Columbus, Indiana
    Manufacturing Facility
    4325 Middle Road, Columbus, IN 47203 USA
    Phone: 812-372-4899
    Store Hours: Mon.-Fri., 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST),
    Sat. & Sun. Closed

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I’m interested to see where this goes. I had taken a hazardous materials shipping class a while back and the trainer mentioned several things that were supposed to happen regarding having ammo shipped.

I never could find find any specific info on the discussion, until seeing this post.

I imagine at at least one side of the government would love to double dip by collecting exhorbinant fees/tax on our ammo... while also limiting the economical feasibility of purchasing it.

Subscribed and following... and will continue some homework.

Aflac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Hopefully this is just a glich in the system. The only time I have ever had a haz charge was for powder and primers. It wouldn't surprise me though if the government would find a way to collect more tax revenue.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Midway has also joined the ridiculous shipping charges club. I ordered two boxes of .45 cal ammo and was charged a hair under $12 for shipping. Guess I scratch Midway off the ammo supplier list.

Top Bottom