• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    ...so the father thought it was okay to point the gun at his six year old daughter’s head because he “thought it was unloaded”...

If only we could teach a better way, like always keeping our guns pointed in a safe direction regardless of whether or not we “think” they are loaded.

Oh, wait:

https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As long as there are humans, there will be errors in judgement.
    Sad, especially since it was so easily avoidable.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Very sad situation. Emptying your gun and checking it, really isn't that difficult. Making sure you don't point it at some, really isn't that difficult either. I hope it wasn’t one our fellow Ingoistas.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Another senseless tragedy. :xmad:

The news piece is terribly written, as it completely avoids the fundamental violations of safe gun handling and injects the useless notion that a misconception of loaded status was somehow actually to blame. :n00b: Not helpful.

Upon arrival, police found that 6-year-old Makayla Bowling had been shot in the head after her father [STRIKE]was cleaning his gun while thinking it was unloaded.[/STRIKE] pulled the trigger ...with the gun pointed in an unsafe direction ...after having also failed to unload it.

Fixed.

Prayers for the family. :(

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There is no reason for this, complacency gets people killed. In this case a 6 year old. Washington County, about 5 miles from my in-laws.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    It is unfortunate that these idiots tend to kill others rather than themselves when they pull this excrement. Dying due to one's own stupidity is an exercise in natural selection. Dying due to someone else's stupidity is a tragedy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [FONT=&quot]Upon arrival, police found that 6-year-old Makayla Bowling had been shot in the head after her father was cleaning his gun while thinking it was unloaded.[/FONT]

How unusual that the father believed it to be unloaded. I'll bet no one has ever said that before.

If only there one simple rule that would have prevented this thinking and made us all realize that all guns were always loaded. If only we knew what they rule was without causing a Code Red Butthurt on INGO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think we can all agree that it is far more effective to be mad at Kirk Freeman for teaching us about gun safety rather than saving another life.

Another week, another life.

The Four Rules, they are just that simple, they are life.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How unusual that the father believed it to be unloaded. I'll bet no one has ever said that before.

If only there one simple rule that would have prevented this thinking and made us all realize that all guns were always loaded. If only we knew what they rule was without causing a Code Red Butthurt on INGO.

Predictably, you're about as helpful as the writers of the news piece. I'm not mad at you - I know this is your schtick - but neither cleaning the gun nor thinking it was unloaded would have harmed his child ...it was his actual violations of safe gun handling.

You know this, even if you choose to role-play right past that fundamental fact.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

**** man have you read the previous comments?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'll bet no one has ever said that before.
    No one that anyone listens to anymore. You have an important message to impart, but have gone about it in a way that most tend to ignore anymore. I’m betting with all your book learnin’ and life experience, you’d be able to send the message to the masses in a much better way. But, what do I know?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is sad and tragic. I can not wrap my head around the stupid involved or the needless loss of the young girl.
    In that lets keep it in check please.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pretending guns are always loaded has nothing to do with how guns are handled. Unsafe behavior is observable and correctable. Stop pretending and start acting in a safe manner. This is so tragic and further erodes our rights.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Pretending guns are always loaded has nothing to do with how guns are handled. Unsafe behavior is observable and correctable. Stop pretending and start acting in a safe manner. This is so tragic and further erodes our rights.

My guess is that a single rule--if you don't want to kill it, don't point a gun at it--would yield satisfactory results.

Top Bottom