• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My experience with Handguns consist of familiarity with the Beretta 92G and 1911's. Take down and cleaning are very simple. While reading another post it was said on some guns you have to pull the trigger to break them down? Which guns would this be necessary and why?

Tnanks

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Generally, striker fired guns. You can get away without pulling the trigger on hammer-fired guns like the 1911 and 92 because the hammer and trigger sear are all contained within the frame. Striker guns aren't like that, the striker is in the slide and the sear is in the frame. You have to get the sear out of the way for the slide to come forward, and that generally means pulling the trigger to drop the striker. Some guns have a little lever inside the ejection port that you can hit to drop the striker.

It's not a problem if you drop the magazine, lock the slide back, visual and tactile confirm the chamber is empty, then point it in a safe direction and dry fire it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Generally, striker fired guns. You can get away without pulling the trigger on hammer-fired guns like the 1911 and 92 because the hammer and trigger sear are all contained within the frame. Striker guns aren't like that, the striker is in the slide and the sear is in the frame. You have to get the sear out of the way for the slide to come forward, and that generally means pulling the trigger to drop the striker. Some guns have a little lever inside the ejection port that you can hit to drop the striker.

It's not a problem if you drop the magazine, lock the slide back, visual and tactile confirm the chamber is empty, then point it in a safe direction and dry fire it.
    Thank you very much, that makes a lot more sense now.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The important thing to remember about it, is that it's utterly unimportant.

This is another one of those items which attained significance by virtue of the internet's ability to mass-aggregate poorly-informed people. Sometimes it leads to enlightenment. Sometimes it just leads to the pooling and amplification of poor information.

The "pull the trigger to break down" issue, and ad-infinitum discussion thereof, is an example of the latter.

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Ok thanks, I am guessing that the trigger must release something in order to break it down? Not trying to be dense but I had no idea.
    Striker or linear hammer. My vz58 (similar to AK) has a striker as well; have to pull trigger to release the striker or you can’t remove the top cover.

my wife’s LC9S is the same; personally I’ve made the argument that 1911s are better than glocks partially because less idiots shoot them selves with hammer guns.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Striker or linear hammer. My vz58 (similar to AK) has a striker as well; have to pull trigger to release the striker or you can’t remove the top cover.

my wife’s LC9S is the same; personally I’ve made the argument that 1911s are better than glocks partially because less idiots shoot them selves with hammer guns.

I agree to a point about 1911's. What I really think is that more people own Glock's because of price point and not having any other name recognition with guns.
    This creates more likelihood that an idiot will own a Glock vs. a 1911.
    I worked the Indy 1500 for about 2 years with a friend of mine that owned Tactical Shotgunner, I learned a thing or two after 2 years working gun shows.
    And the two years I worked were from late 2008 to late 2010, just a reference because of how busy the gun market was at that time.

The first thing I learned was how little I really knew about guns, I had at the time considered myself "quite knowledgeable."
    But my favorite question of all time working the 1500, and you do hear a lot of them.
    "How many bullets do it spit"
    I think this is part of the mentality of some people that choose a Glock over a 1911, and of course the price point.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My experience with Handguns consist of familiarity with the Beretta 92G and 1911's. Take down and cleaning are very simple. While reading another post it was said on some guns you have to pull the trigger to break them down? Which guns would this be necessary and why?

Tnanks

Not the 1911..... I think it's those plastic guns that folks seem to think are so great that require you to do so.

Gaston Glock is nothing even approaching the genius of John Moses Browning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not the 1911..... I think it's those plastic guns that folks seem to think are so great that require you to do so.

Gaston owned a plastics business. Did he actually design the Glock. I know little of the gun besides I do not like them for personal reasons.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Gaston owned a plastics business. Did he actually design the Glock. I know little of the gun besides I do not like them for personal reasons.

Theres a pretty good documentary on YouTube about Gaston glock and how he came up with the Glock handgun. Think it’s only like 30 minutes long, worth a watch even if you hate the brand.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    From wiki:

Several of Browning's designs are still in production today. Some of his most notable designs include:
    Cartridges[edit]

Firearms[edit]

Pistols[edit]

Shotguns[edit]

Rifles[edit]

Machine guns[edit]

Gaston Glock?
    A plastic pistol.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I agree to a point about 1911's. What I really think is that more people own Glock's because of price point and not having any other name recognition with guns.
    This creates more likelihood that an idiot will own a Glock vs. a 1911.
    I worked the Indy 1500 for about 2 years with a friend of mine that owned Tactical Shotgunner, I learned a thing or two after 2 years working gun shows.
    And the two years I worked were from late 2008 to late 2010, just a reference because of how busy the gun market was at that time.

The first thing I learned was how little I really knew about guns, I had at the time considered myself "quite knowledgeable."
    But my favorite question of all time working the 1500, and you do hear a lot of them.
    "How many bullets do it spit"
    I think this is part of the mentality of some people that choose a Glock over a 1911, and of course the price point.
    I’d say the “idiot factor” is high on the lists of what ruins things for most people. It baffles me how many people have never shot a gun before adulthood, not never shot, meaning hardly ever, never as in NEVER. That leads to having no respect or knowledge about firearms.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’d say the “idiot factor” is high on the lists of what ruins things for most people. It baffles me how many people have never shot a gun before adulthood, not never shot, meaning hardly ever, never as in NEVER. That leads to having no respect or knowledge about firearms.

Yep, but even less people care to learn about them before throwing out opinions, etc or trying to infringe on the rights of others. Ignorance (lack of knowledge on a topic) is one thing, but once someone like that throws into an argument on the topic, it often devolves into stupidity as they won't admit their ignorance.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I get what you are saying, but will say that the "elegance" of a Glock (and I know that is kind of blasphemous when speaking about a Glock) is the general simplicity of design, etc.

Glock hasn't done anything earthshaking in some time (some would say never has), but the simplicity of the design has merit.

Top Bottom