My Father-In-Law's First Shooting Experience (and he's from Japan!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Just sharing here, because I think it's pretty cool...

So, to preface, my wife is Japanese, and her dad came over to watch some baseball games up in Detroit and visit with us here in Indiana. The second day he was here, I took him to a friend's house who has a shooting area (not really a range, but that's what we use it for) for his first-time shoot.

He had never shot a gun before, and was overly-excited for the opportunity (think Mel Gibson/Lethal Weapon horrors) so we headed out in the morning. He was a bit dismayed when I told him that he isn't a movie star and wasn't going to act like one or we'd go home. He was more dismayed when I told him that he had to memorize the Four Rules and tell them to me before he could even think about touching a gun (my M&P9) let alone shoot. I told him the rules, and he recited them back adding, "...not a movie star...". Heh.

He did really well with the four rules, albeit needing a bit of coaching along the way due to his enthusiasm, and he had an amazing time. He (and my wife, also -yay!) went through 200 rounds by the end of the day, and although he's a horrible shot, we all left safely with smiles on our faces.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do me much good to encourage him to practice, since he'll probably never get the opportunity to hold a firearm in Japan. It did make me feel great to be able to share something I enjoy and give him a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I also sent him home with a box of his empty brass for bragging-rights, and it made it through customs! :D

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Hexlobular, absolutely outstanding! Not only did you share our freedom with another culture, but also with family and family who are denied the same rights we enjoy. There is a lot to be thankful for in your story.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Congrats. I'm sure he'll remember this as an exotic experience. Sounds like he had a great time. :yesway:

I did a similar thing with a British co-worker who came to Indiana. Ran through the 4 rules and had him shoot some close targets with various guns. He enjoyed the afternoon and went home with some pictures, a signed/dated target and a unique experience to remember about his trip to America.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yep, great day, I lived in Las Vegas Nevada years ago and went to the range their often.
    Many a day I would see groups of world tourists would come in for a fun shoot.

Smiles all around after their sessions..............

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I'm in a college town with a large number of international students. One of the shops in town also has a range, it is rare not to see the foreign students there shooting.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Hex.....This is a simply wonderful little story. Good for you, and the FIL! And your wife did some shooting, too.

Thanks for sharing this. -Lee

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just sharing here, because I think it's pretty cool...

So, to preface, my wife is Japanese, and her dad came over to watch some baseball games up in Detroit and visit with us here in Indiana. The second day he was here, I took him to a friend's house who has a shooting area (not really a range, but that's what we use it for) for his first-time shoot.

He had never shot a gun before, and was overly-excited for the opportunity (think Mel Gibson/Lethal Weapon horrors) so we headed out in the morning. He was a bit dismayed when I told him that he isn't a movie star and wasn't going to act like one or we'd go home. He was more dismayed when I told him that he had to memorize the Four Rules and tell them to me before he could even think about touching a gun (my M&P9) let alone shoot. I told him the rules, and he recited them back adding, "...not a movie star...". Heh.

He did really well with the four rules, albeit needing a bit of coaching along the way due to his enthusiasm, and he had an amazing time. He (and my wife, also -yay!) went through 200 rounds by the end of the day, and although he's a horrible shot, we all left safely with smiles on our faces.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do me much good to encourage him to practice, since he'll probably never get the opportunity to hold a firearm in Japan. It did make me feel great to be able to share something I enjoy and give him a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I also sent him home with a box of his empty brass for bragging-rights, and it made it through customs! :D

:yesway:

I'd like to note... don't be too worried about the accuracy.
    You concentrated on what was important. Safety.
    Not only because you don't want holes in anyone, but because you've demonstrated that firearms require seriousness and responsibility.
    1st timers are excited and nervous. Probably even worse from a different country.
    So, I think you did a great job.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Several years ago I worked with a guy who had worked for a Japanese company somewhere near Seymour. When the Japanese engineers would visit they ALWAYS wanted to go shooting, and they went and LOVED it. One guy told my friend (repeatedly) "You Dirty Harry". They were grateful for the experience since it isn't available to them at home.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Thanks for all the kind words. I've been to Japan many times, and it is still odd to me seeing that even the police there aren't armed. It's my understanding that private citizens can get a permit to own a rifle if they have property large enough to support hunting, but I don't know anyone personally in Japan that has any property that isn't pretty much covered with their house. The whole experience was awesome, and I'm really hoping that my wife will get more interested in shooting with me. She has never cared for guns (scary things) in general, but understands the logic of having them. If I can get her comfortable with proper firearm handling and shooting, we can have another fun common interest and a safer household. Hmm...and maybe more guns? :D

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    In waikiki, honolulu, the more popular range there offered a "shooting experience". $100 bucks or so and they let you shoot a total of... 20some rounds through basic and common firearms. Glock 19, remington 870, ar15, and a 1911. Talk about profit margins. The japanese lined up for the opportunity. I joked with the fiancee we should move permanently into her condo and i should bring my collection and stock of ammo. We'd make a killing! Kudos to the op. Great story and i love the added "not a movie star" i will definetly use it in the future!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In waikiki, honolulu, the more popular range there offered a "shooting experience". $100 bucks or so and they let you shoot a total of... 20some rounds through basic and common firearms. Glock 19, remington 870, ar15, and a 1911. Talk about profit margins. The japanese lined up for the opportunity. I joked with the fiancee we should move permanently into her condo and i should bring my collection and stock of ammo. We'd make a killing! Kudos to the op. Great story and i love the added "not a movie star" i will definetly use it in the future!

Insurance, taxes, fees, licenses, and wages may cut into your profit a bit.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

This place?

View attachment 68699
    View attachment 68700

I stopped in there recently.... told the guy I was from Indiana and wanted to see what a Hawaiian gun range looked like.

He just laughed and said, "Man, we've got nothing here that you will be interested in." LOL!

Funny.... and sad all at the same time.

Talked to the guy for a while.... nice guy. They keep busy. The vast majority of their business comes from tourists in from Japan and Australia.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That will be something he'll remember forever. You did good! :thumbsup:

My wife is from Toronto. My sister-in-law came to visit us a couple years back, I took her to Winamac to shoot pistols. She shot my Ruger .22 pistol first, she did fine. So I let her try my Kimber .45 acp, and in addition to the standard safety rules, also watched her grip very carefully to make sure she didn't get cut by the slide.

We shot at some silhouette targets, which she took back to Toronto for bragging rights. One of her friends is a Toronto cop, she especially had fun showing him the target and telling him that she shot a .45.

Top Bottom