• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have decided that my next purchase is going to be a PPQ 5" model. So I thought for the 3 Ingoers that own PPQ 5" models I'd post this. In my search for a decent price on the PPQ M2 I came across the Q5 match. It is $100 more than the M2. Since I would replace the sights with a set of Dawson FO ($80), which FO comes on the Q5 and purchase additional mags (approx. $30) and the Q5 comes with a third magazine, it seems to make sense to go ahead and buy the Q5.

Is there any reason I should not buy the Q5? The only hesitation I have, which is kinda lame, is me showing up one day to try my hand at IDPA with such a pistol and then showing everyone that I can't really shoot.:)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Hopefully someone will see this and come in to give some thoughts. Surely someone has experience with this gun and hopefully knows if it's worthwhile. Would also be nice to know if it's IDPA legal. For my part, when I had the standard 5" PPQ M2, I loved it. It was a nice, ergonomic gun with a fantastic trigger and was extremely accurate. I had thought I might shoot it IDPA, but at that time, 2 - 3 years ago, there weren't a lot of holsters or reasonably priced sight options for the gun, so I sold it. I think, if you're looking at the 5" PPQ, the Q5 may have some merit. Of course, you may have to go to the Walther forums for more information... ;)

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    If you are looking for a gun strictly for competition, I would definitely go with the q5. Optics ready, comes with f/o sights, adjustable rear sight, and a third mag (walther mags run at least $30 ea).

My only hesitation would be the colored trigger (not really my thing) and the amount of slide cuts if you plan to run this as a defensive/carry gun. Slide cuts allow more debris in, which can cause malfunctions. As a competition rig, it would be amazing. And the trigger on the ppq is probably the best factory striker trigger I’ve shot.

Also as far as sucking at competition shooting, it’s mentioned on the shooting sports forums all the time. Everyone was a beginner at one time. No one is going to look down on you for starting out. Most are really friendly and will try to help as much as possible. Just go with the right attitude, have fun, be safe, and put two holes on every target. Speed will come with experience.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I bought my PPQ 5" just before the Q5 was introduced, but even if both were available I would have still gone with the standard 5". My intention was always to modify the gun to my liking anyway, so I would have only gained F.O sights by buying the Q5.

No matter which way you go you will be getting one helluva accurate handgun.

n8QZ0qpl.jpg

14-Yard Accuracy testing:
    stfD5Krl.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, the blue trigger is kinda gimicky to me but oh well. The Q5 Match would put me money ahead gglass since I, like you would add the FO sights. I won't be doing the cool mods you have done though that looks really awesome.:)

My earlier thought was to buy a 4" PPQ and use it both for carry and range but I started to wonder if I would carry it since it's larger than my Shield and I like the way the Shield carries. Then if I really got into the sport of shooting, buy the 5" model.

My current thought is to buy the 5" and use it as a dedicated range gun and carry on with the Shield.

Hence, why I haven't ordered anything yet.:)

Just saw your target. Is that all the better that gun can shoot? Man, I guess I'll look for a Glock.:)

Very, very nice. Based on that, it would be a long time before I would need more "gun".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    After a visit to the Walther forums and feedback from you guys I decided to buy the Q5. I'll let the carry gun work itself out at another time. If I like the Walther a lot, I may look at a PPQ SC or a PPS to replace my Shield down the road.

Thanks everyone for helping me spend money!:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Quick follow up. Picked up my Q5 yesterday. I am hoping to take it to the range tomorrow. I took a leap of faith on this one. I couldn't even find one to handle, let alone shoot so we will see how it goes.

In the hand the pistol feels great! It's the first pistol that I can drop the mag without changing my grip. And it's also the first pistol I have owned that I truly will not need to do anything to the trigger. It is just fine out of the box.

My CompTac holster showed up yesterday so the timing is good. My mag holders from Kytex will take a little longer, but pockets will work for now.

I got 3 mags with the gun but will order a few more soon.

Not broke yet Tom!:)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Quick follow up. Picked up my Q5 yesterday. I am hoping to take it to the range tomorrow. I took a leap of faith on this one. I couldn't even find one to handle, let alone shoot so we will see how it goes.

In the hand the pistol feels great! It's the first pistol that I can drop the mag without changing my grip. And it's also the first pistol I have owned that I truly will not need to do anything to the trigger. It is just fine out of the box.

My CompTac holster showed up yesterday so the timing is good. My mag holders from Kytex will take a little longer, but pockets will work for now.

I got 3 mags with the gun but will order a few more soon.

Not broke yet Tom!:)

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom