• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I've purchased many firearms, had transfers, etc. from multiple FFLs and have NEVER been so frustrated in my life...

While on vacation I purchased an Accuracy International rifle (aka my dream gun). Contacted my usual FFL, PointBlank in Greenwood to get the transfer started. They had me go online, fill out the form and said they'd handle. Three days later, the shipping FFL contacts me and still needs FFL info.

So I pick up the phone and call PointBlank. Receiving department gal - who was actually really nice - said they didn't receive the request and to resubmit and they'd take care of it ASAP.

Well, this morning the FFL in PA calls me to let me know they STILL don't have the FFL stuff. By this point I'm getting really irritated. I call PointBlank and speak with one of the managers. She gives me the same spiel about just go online and fill out the form and they'll handle ASAP.

I politely told her that I've already filled out their precious form TWICE and nothing has happened. She then tells me that I'd need to call their corporate office. I then directly ask her why they just can't send the FFL info directly.

She puts me on hold, talks to their receiving department, and says they can do that. Asks me all the appropriate info and says they'll do it right now.

After checking back with the shipping FFL two hours later, I discovered that they STILL don't have anything.

I'm now having the gun shipped to another FFL...

WTF? I can understand any FFL not really wanting to do transfers because there's really nothing in it for them except a paperwork hassel. However, why would you do this to someone who'd purchased probably 5 new firearms from you within the last year! If you're not going to do what you said, just be upfront about it and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Has anyone had this experience before? This is honestly one of the worst experiences I've ever had at any FFL.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've purchased many firearms, had transfers, etc. from multiple FFLs and have NEVER been so frustrated in my life...

While on vacation I purchased an Accuracy International rifle (aka my dream gun). Contacted my usual FFL, PointBlank in Greenwood to get the transfer started. They had me go online, fill out the form and said they'd handle. Three days later, the shipping FFL contacts me and still needs FFL info.

So I pick up the phone and call PointBlank. Receiving department gal - who was actually really nice - said they didn't receive the request and to resubmit and they'd take care of it ASAP.

Well, this morning the FFL in PA calls me to let me know they STILL don't have the FFL stuff. By this point I'm getting really irritated. I call PointBlank and speak with one of the managers. She gives me the same spiel about just go online and fill out the form and they'll handle ASAP.

I politely told her that I've already filled out their precious form TWICE and nothing has happened. She then tells me that I'd need to call their corporate office. I then directly ask her why they just can't send the FFL info directly.

She puts me on hold, talks to their receiving department, and says they can do that. Asks me all the appropriate info and says they'll do it right now.

After checking back with the shipping FFL two hours later, I discovered that they STILL don't have anything.

I'm now having the gun shipped to another FFL...

WTF? I can understand any FFL not really wanting to do transfers because there's really nothing in it for them except a paperwork hassel. However, why would you do this to someone who'd purchased probably 5 new firearms from you within the last year! If you're not going to do what you said, just be upfront about it and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Has anyone had this experience before? This is honestly one of the worst experiences I've ever had at any FFL.

Give USDS, The Outdoorsman, Elmore's, Beech Grove Firearms, or Honey Creek Tackle your south-side transfer business!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I understand how these things kind grind on you. But I would say. Keep in mind all the good business you are done with them. I would give them this as a freebie. But if you run into this issue again. Then bail, on them to find a new FFL. Then maybe once you have moved past the frustration write theanager a letter explaining plainly and with out emotion as to why you have chose to leave them behind, so they may work to correct their processes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I understand how these things kind grind on you. But I would say. Keep in mind all the good business you are done with them. I would give them this as a freebie. But if you run into this issue again. Then bail, on them to find a new FFL. Then maybe once you have moved past the frustration write theanager a letter explaining plainly and with out emotion as to why you have chose to leave them behind, so they may work to correct their processes.

you gave them 1 more chance that I would!

Yep. I can tolerate a screw up. But when somebody does so repeatedly, its time to kick their incompetent butts to the curb.

USDS gets all my transfer business. And is my preferred dealer.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Then maybe once you have moved past the frustration write theanager a letter explaining plainly and with out emotion as to why you have chose to leave them behind, so they may work to correct their processes.

Not sure how many others feel this way, but I would never go out of my way to contact a business to explain why I don't intend to go there anymore. Especially if it's a customer service issue. If they didn't feel it was important to give good service before, what would make me think that a letter from me is going to change anything?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Not sure how many others feel this way, but I would never go out of my way to contact a business to explain why I don't intend to go there anymore. Especially if it's a customer service issue. If they didn't feel it was important to give good service before, what would make me think that a letter from me is going to change anything?

I follow your logic here I do. However sometimes, managers / owners lose touch and don't know they have a problem. So MAYBE your letter will spirit thier actions a bit.

....I'll set down my Rose clolored glasses now ...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have a few shops that I spread my transfers around to. One of my favorites makes sure I have updated copies of his ffl/sot so that I can submit it along with an order. Also found that if I buy ar15 parts and shoot the breeze for a while he generally gives me the transfer for free :D

Edit for tie in to thread
    I prefer to do transfers with small shops, they are much more personal and generally easier to deal with. Plus when you get a serious piece they are genuinely excited to get to see it.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    how do you expect something to get fixed if they dont know it is broken?

Granted, I know the chance of a change from one person isnt likely, but its worth a shot.

Somebody says something: Either it will get fixed or it wont.
    Nobody says anything: Nothing will get fixed. Guaranteed. (unless they figure it out via other metrics "Hey, how come our transfers have dropped by 90%?")

Now if you just dont give a crap about them or any other customers, then by all means move on dont say anything. I'm indifferent to whether anyone says anything or not. But if we have any expectation of a change, telling them is necessary.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have had such bad experiences in the past with using big box/chain stores for transfers. I will only use owner/operator businesses now and in the future.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had such bad experiences in the past with using big box/chain stores for transfers. I will only use owner/operator businesses now and in the future.

I do not have a lot of transfers done but this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^is how I do it. Know who you are dealing with as in really "KNOW" them personally. I find that is the best path to follow. I will spend more money per sale/transaction with the little guy over the big corporate crap holes any day.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I'm with six on this one... 'fool me once shame on you', 'fool me twice shame on me', 'fool me thrice' NFW. Plenty of other fun shops that want your business.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Ok... my other FFL got the shipper what they needed and my new toy will be here Monday.

I've just never had such an awful experience with Point Blank. I know most of the staff and have done transfers in the past without issue. However with this one it's like they didn't have a clue WTF I was talking about or how to do one.

I thought the receiving gals head was going to explode when I told her that I've already filled out their stupid web form twice and it STILL hasn't happened. I point blank (no pun intended) asked her what makes her think that it would work the third time.

I got a call a few minutes ago from the shipping FFL letting me know that - after my rifle had already shipped - PointBlank 'finally' sent them a license. He told me that he replied to the request to let them know the customer (aka me) has revoked the transfer authorization and that the rifle will be shipped elsewhere.

I'm going to give myself a few days to cool off and then have a face-to-face with the manager or I might drive to Cincinnati and talk to the owner.

I just don't understand how freakin hard it is to email over a signed copy of their license upon request and be done with it. Hell, instead of that stupid form they should just have a link to download a copy directly to provide to the shipper.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not sure how many others feel this way, but I would never go out of my way to contact a business to explain why I don't intend to go there anymore. Especially if it's a customer service issue.

I will if it is a chain or a very large establishment. Upper management is often unaware of the issues if customers don't contact them. If it's a small operation, then nope, they had their chance to make it right when I was there.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Yep. I can tolerate a screw up. But when somebody does so repeatedly, its time to kick their incompetent butts to the curb.

USDS gets all my transfer business. And is my preferred dealer.

Ditto on USDS! Several guns shipped in & transferred there. About the cheapest place I've found for transfers, too.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Hopefully Point Blank will learn from this experience that they need to be more prompt with their transfers. If you have done business with them in the past I would definitely have a chat with the manager, but a trip to Cincinnati seems excessive unless you go there normally. Everyone has bad days, but that was a total failure overall. In today’s world it’s not hard to compose a few emails and get the transaction rolling.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom