• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Throwsstones

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2013
    Morgan county
    I’ve got a Norinco MAK 90 that I bought new in the 90’s with the stupid thumb hole stock. Does anyone know if you can replace it with a real stock set ? It doesn’t get much love because it’s just not practical. Thanks

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    If it is a straight cut receiver it should take standard AKM furniture. If it has an angled rear, then I think ironwood makes a set that is cut for that.

Remove your stock and see what is under there.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    You can replace the stock with any set designed for a stamped receiver. Since the Norinco has a 1.5mm thick receiver,(instead of the 1 mm thick Warsaw Pact rifles), some very minor
    fitting of the butt stock might be required.

Having said that, you must install the appropriate number of US made parts to comply with section 922r of the 1994 Crime Bill. Unlike the Assault Weapons Ban, the Crime Bill did NOT
    expire after 10 years. Since you have a Mak 90, you already have the muzzle attachment and bayonet lug removed so that knocks 2 of the evil parts off the list.

I bought two of these in the mid 90's and I've still got one of them. I don't get it out very much anymore, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I’ve got a Norinco MAK 90 that I bought new in the 90’s with the stupid thumb hole stock. Does anyone know if you can replace it with a real stock set ? It doesn’t get much love because it’s just not practical. Thanks

When you remove the stock you'll most likely have the nut under the hand grip come out on you. I mixed up some JB Weld and put a little on mine to secure the nut.
    There's so many "standards" on an AK you might have to do a little trimming or modifying to get things to fit up snug and tight.
    There's a difference in "stamped" and "milled" stocks as well. Choose wisely.

Throwsstones

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2013
    Morgan county
    ( Having said that, you must install the appropriate number of US made parts to comply with section 922r of the 1994 Crime Bill. Unlike the Assault Weapons Ban, the Crime Bill did NOT
    expire after 10 years. Since you have a Mak 90, you already have the muzzle attachment and bayonet lug removed so that knocks 2 of the evil parts off the list. )

That was I was looking for. Thank you

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I have one I purchased from an acquaintance that he purchased "new" that he had never shot. I did quite a bit of remodeling to it, but saved all the original parts so it can be restored to original condition if someone wishes in the future! First I purchased and installed all the parts necessary to meet the 922r regulation -as I remember that included the trigger assembly, magazine follower, gas piston, and possibly a couple of other parts I don't remember. There are several web sites that list the regulation and specific parts you can change to meet the requirement. I ended up using the Walnut Ironwood stock set. I also decided to install a POSP Russian Scope with the quick disconnect mount. That did require modifying the receiver by drilling and tapping one hole for the mount. It can be hidden if the mount is removed by installing a short button head screw. I really like the appearance and handling of the gun now.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You can replace the stock with any set designed for a stamped receiver. Since the Norinco has a 1.5mm thick receiver,(instead of the 1 mm thick Warsaw Pact rifles), some very minor
    fitting of the butt stock might be required.

Having said that, you must install the appropriate number of US made parts to comply with section 922r of the 1994 Crime Bill. Unlike the Assault Weapons Ban, the Crime Bill did NOT
    expire after 10 years. Since you have a Mak 90, you already have the muzzle attachment and bayonet lug removed so that knocks 2 of the evil parts off the list.

I bought two of these in the mid 90's and I've still got one of them. I don't get it out very much anymore, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Not even close. The sporting purpose was installed in the Lyndon Johnson 1968 Gun Control Act. 922(r) was added in or around 1989 when George Bush the First demanded ATF follow the letter of the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 GCA. Since sporting purpose was not defined, ATF came up with the idea that 10 imported parts in a long gun kept it safe, but 11 or more made it an evil baby killing "assault" weapon.

Not to out do themselves as village idiots, ATF and the government later came out with Title 27 CFR 478.39 which states exactly what 922(r) states, so even though it is a virtually unenforceable rule, it is written into two parts of the unconstitutional law of the land.

That said, Chinese replacement stock and pistol grips are available but going up in price thanks to import bans infringing on our rights. As said above make sure you have a square cut receiver. If you have one of the slant cuts, Ironwood Designs, or your favorite wood worker are your only alternatives.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Be weary when you take that stock off, there’s a good chance that you’re going to have a rotten and rusty, pitted mess in the rear of the receiver. If that’s the case slant back or squareback wont matter, it is an easy enough repair if it needs done.

Top Bottom