• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Hi INGO,

I just got a P365 this week and would like to also get a new s&w model 66 4.25" for a range gun. Do they check how often a person buys a handgun
    with the back ground check? I thought I read some where that they are checking how many guns are bought in a time frame.

Thanks,
    jl-scott :ingo:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hi INGO,

I just got a P365 this week and would like to also get a new s&w model 66 4.25" for a range gun. Do they check how often a person buys a handgun
    with the back ground check? I thought I read some where that they are checking how many guns are bought in a time frame.

Thanks,
    Which "they"?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The state police on the background check. jl-scott

It would be NICs on the background check, and here is some additional info:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/fact-sheet/fact-sheet-multiple-firearms-sales
    [h=3]Fast Facts[/h]
    1. The Gun Control Act of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees to report multiple sales or other dispositions of handguns to the same purchaser.
    2. The sale or disposition of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time or within five consecutive business days of each other.
    3. ATF views the recovery of one or more firearms used in crimes that were part of a multiple purchase as an indicator of firearms trafficking.

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for the correction and the information. I will wait 2 or 3 weeks to get the smith.

jl-scott

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I just picked up 2 guns from my FFL guy (not the first time) and no one came knocking on my door. It also has to be from the same source because it isn't like they let each other know that you bought something earlier in the week.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just picked up 2 guns from my FFL guy (not the first time) and no one came knocking on my door. It also has to be from the same source because it isn't like they let each other know that you bought something earlier in the week.

Yep, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Guys, he is new. He wants to know about the 3310.

People have told him about it but he doesn't grok it.

EDIT: Dammit, sorry, coser. Just read coser's post.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hi INGO,

Thanks,

Hi, jl, glad you are happy about your pistol.

Please be advised that if one purchases 2 or more handguns within five (5) consecutive business days from the same FFL, ATFE form 3310 is completed by the FFL and sent to the ATFE in West Virginia.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whe...104-report-multiple-sale-or-other-disposition

This is 3310: https://www.atf.gov/file/61426/download

1 copy at the FFL (kept for 5 years)
    1 copy to the State Police
    1 copy to the feds' National Tracing Center in West Virginia

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Funny story from a few years ago... Guy buys 2 FN 5.7 pistols at the same time. He did get a visit from the ATF. The FN's were hard to find back then and he was buying one for himself and his brother as a gift. A LGS story...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've heard a few stories of them checking on them. But not very often. Just buy it if you want it. I'm sure 99.9% of them are casually scanned and filed away.

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    If Hopper can reply to this thread, if the smith is still for sale, I will try to connect with him. :):

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    If Hopper can reply to this thread, if the smith is still for sale, I will try to connect with him. :):

The only help I can give you is a warning that openly trying to go around the 50 post rule can be bad for your account. Either post another 16 quality post or pony up $20 for sight supporter.

:mods:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I collect firearms and hold a FFL-03 (collector of Curio and Relics) license. I have on occasion purchased multiple handguns as gifts for my immediate family, (they all have Indiana LTCH's). As long as what I do is legal, and I do make sure it is, I do not concern myself with worrying about what the BATF may do with my information.

I have purchased many firearms in my life and never been delayed or denied, so I believe the BATF has no problem with me!

Top Bottom