• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I want to try my hand at doing some custom touches to a 1911. Is it best to start with a mid level as a base? Or a cheaper version? It's going to get refinished as well. So seems kind of silly to go top of the line on factory finish. I don't see myself going too crazy with it but everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Find a cheap flip or ATI to go hack on. Maybe find a Llama 1911 type to work on. No need to spend a lot on a Colt to only destroy it's value.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    If it was me, I would find a used Rock Island that hasn't been messed with. You could get a GI version or a factory custom and go from there. Shoot the crap out of it, change what you don't like, rinse and repeat. Once you find out what you like and don't like, you can move up to a higher grade (price) custom. I've owned many different makes of 1911 and each of them taught me something and honed my tabletop smithing skills. I finally found myself only owning Colts, but I would not be ashamed to say I only owned RI or ATI or something similar as long as it was absolutely reliable.

Top Bottom