The Colt Factory, Coltsville, and Armsmear... how they look today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My wife had a business trip to Boston, so I went along to do some sight seeing. One of the things I did was to drive to Springfield to visit the Armory and then swing down to Hartford, CT to see the old Colt factory.

The area was designated a National Historical Park 4 years ago, but not much has actually been done in the intervening years. Here is a link to an excellent article about the glacial progress: https://ctmirror.org/2017/11/27/coltsville-crawls-toward-formal-national-park-status/

This is the front side that faces I-91 and the Connecticut River. The river is located just on the other side of the highway.

rhfoYHP.jpg

v8O13HP.jpg

07-Colt.jpg

ColtFactoryWorkers-610x465.jpg

A part of the factory has been reused for other purposes, including schools, technology businesses, and a brew pub that I failed to photograph. The majority of the buildings appear to be vacant though.

9UjIvtf.jpg

The backside of the old factory.

UcP07zs.jpg

0NI91AH.jpg

Coltsville is the area surrounding the old factory that once housed the factory workers. Colt essentially created a village intended to attract and maintain a stable work force, and some of the housing was specifically designed to remind workers of Germany. Most of it is now a public park with ball fields, but some of the housing remains in use.

HfjtVKF.jpg

5kWIq5E.jpg

Colt's son Caldwell drowned at sea. His mother built this parish house to remember him.

Vxlbryj.jpg

The park includes a monument to Samuel Colt. It is now home to the homeless. The neighborhood in the area is not a pretty one, it is pretty run down, and I would have felt more comfortable if I had a Colt while I was there.

KOAF881.jpg

Armsmear is the mansion that Colt built for his family. It is now used as a home for poor single women. There is no access to it for the public, but it appears it is well maintained though.

878cffe2c26b48d2652fbd5ee91621eb.jpg

2h3dp3t.jpg

djxXitE.jpg

Last edited:

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    You missed a golden opportunity! I lived in Connecticut for a couple years and got to drive by that factory daily and I couldn’t make it past without gazing up at the prancing poney. But the Colt Collection at the Museum of Connecticut History is absolutely amazing! If you’re ever back in the area be sure to check it out!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You missed a golden opportunity! I lived in Connecticut for a couple years and got to drive by that factory daily and I couldn’t make it past without gazing up at the prancing poney. But the Colt Collection at the Museum of Connecticut History is absolutely amazing! If you’re ever back in the area be sure to check it out!

I went there, they were closed. I also wanted to go to the Wadsworth Athenium, but I needed to get going back to Boston. I spent a lot of time in Springfield, and ended up walking around the area of the Connecticut state capitol after I discovered the museum was closed. I also wanted to see the armor collection in Worcester, just didn't have time.

Last edited:

Monte#2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks! Love historic insight and old photos of great places. Sad too though when things are as great as they were in their day!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom