• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I almost went to Dallas last year to see it with friends, but with it this close, I will have to make the drive. I have been to a few. Nice to be among kindred spirits with similar interests. Lots of cool displays to see and new gear to examine.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I almost went to Dallas last year to see it with friends, but with it this close, I will have to make the drive. I have been to a few. Nice to be among kindred spirits with similar interests. Lots of cool displays to see and new gear to examine.

It is something to see. My point of reference is here in 2014 and in Louisville in 2016. We blew Louisville's doors off. It'll be here again in 23. Crime rates will plummet for one weekend, if only we knew why?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For a person who plans to go next year, and who has never been to one. What can one expect to see? Also retarded question.....are you allowed to carry while there?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    For a person who plans to go next year, and who has never been to one. What can one expect to see? Also retarded question.....are you allowed to carry while there?

I've only been once: the last time they were in Indy. It is absolutely huge. Wear comfortable shoes. The NRA doesn't restrict carry, but sometimes venues do. Check back on that.

You will see:
    • A huge vendor showroom, but not a gun show where you can buy/sell on the spot
    • Various speakers/presentations
    • Some kid-friendly firearms education
    • NRA souveniers
    • Historical items
    • A lot of very courteous, nice people all around
    • etc, etc, etc.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium come under an entity that leases the facilities to the event sponsors. When it's NRA, carry on! NFL or Gen-Con? Not so much. The city can't restrict carry of firearms (preemption statute) so they lease it to the event and they make the call.

In Louisville: the NRA Leadership Forum scheduled (then candidate) Donald Trump. He was under Secret Service protection. Freedom Hall at the Kentucky Fairgrounds was under SS control so no weapons (or umbrellas) were allowed inside Freedom Hall. The rest was authorized carry.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I've only been once: the last time they were in Indy. It is absolutely huge. Wear comfortable shoes. The NRA doesn't restrict carry, but sometimes venues do. Check back on that.

You will see:
    • A huge vendor showroom, but not a gun show where you can buy/sell on the spot
    • Various speakers/presentations
    • Some kid-friendly firearms education
    • NRA souveniers
    • Historical items
    • A lot of very courteous, nice people all around
    • etc, etc, etc.

Agreed. If you live anywhere around Indy you should plan on going. I've been to Louisville and Indy shows also in recent years. Traffic in KY was horrible. I go mainly for the show floor. Every major manufacturer of firearms is there, and all models are hands on displays. You can also buy tons of accessories and other 2a stuff there.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm planning to work the show for NRA & Revere's Riders (we'll have a booth). The NRA firearms safety inspector job is the best! I get to fondle all the goodies before the public sees them.

I need to actually take one of the days off, not work it, and just walk around to see everything. It'll be YUUGE!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

You will see anything you ever imagined. Truly a fantastic event. Handle weapons without feeling like you are wasting some clerk's time.

I need to actually take one of the days off, not work it, and just walk around to see everything. It'll be YUUGE!

Everyone needs to take at least a day off! :)

I spent the better part of two days there in 2014 with Miguel Jr and still felt like I didn't get to see everything or linger as much as I wanted to.

+1 to the "comfortable shoes" comment. Make sure your phone is charged, plenty of people and things to take pics of. I was able to meet, chat with and get a photo with Hickok45, R Lee Ermey, Jerry Miculek, some Glock competition shooters and the hot Russian ammo chick. Also saw Mas Ayoob signing books.

Got some freebies just from walking around. Hats, shirts, bottle openers, etc. Hell, Miguel Jr was even photographed on a green screen and the photo appeared in a blog post on the Beretta website with a friend! (NRA Annual Meeting Day 2: The Action Heroes Arrive!)

Take a non-gun friend with you. This show is the best environment to expose people to guns and the culture.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think I will go. I went in 2014, but I think I had the wrong expectations as to what it would be like. I really have no interest in the latest whiz-bang guns or gadgets, but as I was leaving I did come across some of the displays of historical weapons. By that time I was pretty fed up with the crowd (not that it was a bad crowd - I'm just not much of a crowd person) and didn't take the time to really look at those displays. If I go this time I'll skip the vendor area and just go straight to the historical stuff.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I had a blast in 14 and will go back next year. Everything from gear to new guns to historical items. Classes and seminars are free to attend. It’s really hard to see it all in one day. Take some snacks. Convention food is not the best and pretty expensive.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I will definitely go again, had a blast last time in Indy.

Met Hickok45.
    Saw James Yeager, Tim from the Military Arms Channel and Jerry Miculek.
    Watched a presentation from Rob Pincus.
    Got some cool swag and checked out a lot of product.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I will definitely go again, had a blast last time in Indy.

Met Hickok45.
    Saw James Yeager, Tim from the Military Arms Channel and Jerry Miculek.
    Watched a presentation from Rob Pincus.
    Got some cool swag and checked out a lot of product.
    We attend a Rob Pincus presentation too. I got a couple books signed by Ollie North. He's not a big guy. His security detail were large, serious men who talked into their sleeves a lot.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    What? No Ingo booth?

You should at least schedule an INGO day and a meeting point/time. Have lunch at one of the convention vendors. Won’t be a great food but you won’t have to go far. Did this at NRA AM Dallas for TexasCHLforum and it was fun to put some screen names and faces together.

I don’t know if I will follow through but I did schedule a motel room for NRA annual meeting in Indianapolis, maybe see some of you there next year.

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Be there Thursday afternoon and all three days. Won't be the same without R.Lee Ermey though, he was always the first stop, and the real highlight of the whole thing.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The NRA convention is free for NRA members. But I'm selling discount tickets... :)

Non-NRA members can buy memberships at the convention to enter. NRA members can upgrade to lifetime/benefactor/etc.

Top Bottom