• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Reading (albeit quickly) that article definitely reveals the position of liberals that the gun is to blame and no mention really that the perpetrators of the crimes bear responsibility.

It seems to me (again strictly from reading the article, so it's information may be suspect) that Pete Brownell seeks to speak with actions rather than getting down in it and rolling around with the liberals in the area who may seek to provoke. That to me is not a bad thing.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    IF I were Mr. Brownell I would donate my money elsewhere, maybe to other nearby communities that would be a little more appreciative.
    It was a long read (for me anyway), I say if the liberal mindset is to prove a point by not accepting his generosity, perhaps he no longer needs to donate money to that community and let the community suffer with lack of funds.
    I know that is harsh to punish the entire community, but that is exactly what liberals would love to see done to the gun community.

Punish all gun owners and advocates for the actions of a few crazy people.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Were they getting paid by the word? Despite the length it was a good read. There are 10% who will never change their minds. We're going for the 87%.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    A quick read shows the extreme tribalism of people. Many people do this and dont realize it. We are brainwashed by our support system and how we are raised. Its only when we question what we are told and seek actual fact do we break away from this.
    Religious groups, Political groups, Victim groups and LEA groups.. they all have the same hive mind as the criminal group.

This is why Voting is only a minor part of defending the 2ndA. Spreading the word and civil conversation can do just as much, if not more. Not only does your vote work in our favor, your conversations take away one of the Anti-Gun votes...so your Vote counts even more.

While in California I must have taken 100 liberal bed-wetters to the range and changed many of their minds on gun control. I got my BIL to admit he would never again support gun control laws due to conversations he had with me and how I opened his eyes to what gun control really was.

Awan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2015
    Boone County
    The disease of "Progressivism" is everywhere, even in the small town of Grinnell, IA. These small groups of leftists always demand those that do not tow their warped sense of reality, be confronted and destroyed.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    For some to state they desire a discussion with Pete, yet when questioned are unable to present what they would discuss; leads me to believe they actually seek whatever in his reaction they can use for future fodder in their cause.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If I were Mr.Brownell I would cut off my funding of community projects immediately. See how long what sounds like an economic stranglehold would take to change the communities attitude.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If I were Mr.Brownell I would cut off my funding of community projects immediately. See how long what sounds like an economic stranglehold would take to change the communities attitude.

I would as well, or make them overtly geared toward the shooting sports, etc.

I honestly wonder how well that article does or doesn't represent the opinions of the area, etc. Hopefully it is just a few that feel the way the article seemed to slant.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I would as well, or make them overtly geared toward the shooting sports, etc.

I was about to suggest the same thing. Buy up property, build ranges, start and build up competitions to bring in out of town shooters and their tourism dollars. Offer stuff for families and kids to start a counter balance to the anti-gun culture that seems to inundate these college cess pools.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Article was maddening.

[FONT=&amp]The third thing is that they don’t have a problem with guns. “We all agree people have the right to own guns, and that using them for hunting is great and that’s fine,” said Tim Dobe, an associate professor of religion at Grinnell College. “No one challenges that[/FONT].[FONT=&amp]”[/FONT]

But that's not what they are explicitly for. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to hunting.

[FONT=&amp]But over the last few years, the gun company in the middle of everything here became harder to ignore. In December 2012, The Los Angeles Times [/FONT]reported that[FONT=&amp] Brownells sold several years’ worth of high-capacity ammunition magazines in the 72 hours after the mass shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. (There have been more than 100 F.B.I.-designated active shooter incidents since.)[/FONT]

Authors first LAME attempt at placing the blame directly on Brownells.

[FONT=&amp]The facility’s grand opening, complete with a ribbon cutting atttended [/FONT][FONT=&amp]by the governor of Iowa and Lou Ferrigno, took place in June 2016, the day before the Pulse nightclub shooting. The Pulse shooter had armed himself with a semiautomatic rifle and a Glock pistol. Brownells had given away prizes, including similar firearms, about 12 hours earlier.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]This, says Kirsten Klepfer, the pastor of Grinnell’s First Presbyterian Church, “woke me up.” A week after the shooting, she preached an uncomfortable sermon at the Sunday morning service. “If we think there’s no connection between Orlando and Brownells, we’re probably not thinking hard enough,” she said.[/FONT]

Authors SECOND LAME attempt at placing the blame directly on Brownells. The guy drove a car to Pulse nightclub. Ford motor company is equally liable.

[FONT=&amp]Ms. Klepfer, the church’s leader for over a decade, may be the person with the strongest principled objection to what she sees as the community’s complicity in the firearms industry. She may also be the person who struggles least with the moral complexity and social risk of raising such objections. “There’s a reason we’re not a big church,” she said, “and it’s mostly me.”[/FONT]

No kidding? Weird.

[FONT=&amp]In June 2018, representatives of the Concerned Alumni group, on campus for their 50th reunion, delivered a petition to the college on behalf of 500 signatories. They asked the college to reject further gifts from Mr. Brownell, because he represents the N.R.A.’s “deleterious impacts on the quality of American life.”[/FONT]

:facepalm:

[FONT=&amp]Ms. Miller, too, likes the Brownells. She also says their family’s comfort comes at the expense of her family’s own. In November 1991, her mother, Ann Rhodes, was a vice president at the University of Iowa when a physics graduate student shot and killed three department faculty members and a postdoctoral researcher and injured two administrators in another building, before killing himself. Ms. Rhodes, who was also the university’s spokeswoman and tasked with handling the aftermath, was among the first to come upon a wounded colleague, who died the following day.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Ms. Miller was just an infant at the time. She grew up knowing that the shooting had a lasting effect on her mother’s physical and mental health, and on her family.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]“I’m going to inherit my family’s farm,” she said. “But if my family’s farm was responsible for the deaths of thousands of people every year, I think I would find a different livelihood.”[/FONT]

Third LAME attempt at blaming Brownells directly. WTF.

[FONT=&amp]Last month, a group of Senate Democrats asked Mr. Brownell and six other N.R.A. leaders for details about a 2015 trip to Moscow. There, the delegation met Maria Butina, who was charged last month with being a covert Russian agent in an investigation unrelated to the probe by Robert S. Mueller, the special counsel.
    [/FONT]

Russia Russia Russia.

[FONT=&amp]After the Parkland, Fla., shooting in February, stickers with the Brownells logo and the text “Brownells, where school shootings are good for business” appeared on walls and fixtures across downtown Grinnell.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Mr. Dobe characterized their message this way: “Now that you’re the president of the N.R.A., we think you kind of owe us a conversation.”[/FONT]

Seems pretty one sided doesn't it mr. dobe?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    People looking for solutions to violence have always attacked guns because they are an easy target. It's a piece of metal with wood or plastic parts, it's not a person or an idea. Leadership would have to lock up a lot of their subjects if they were interested in solving the problem of violence in their respective areas, something they can't do. Leadership can look good by attacking guns, because it's an easy target. What brings out their ire against organizations like the NRA is the attachment of a person and an idea to the gun.

Mixed in with this are the really dangerous groups of leadership that are solely interested in total power. Armed people cannot be easily reduced to the level of serf.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Unfortunately I read that article in that liberal rag, the NYTimes. Typical liberal slant, er steep downhill condemnation of everything related to guns. I would almost tell the Brownells to pick up stakes and move somewhere else. Another observation, you have Grinnel College there, a bastion of libtard thinking if ever there was one and their community thinking towards guns and the Brownells. The Brownells don't owe these libtards an explanation for anything, especially when the Brownells are one on the major employers in that town. Clearly these libtards think the Brownells owe them something. What I don't know. Typical libtard thinking. My head hurts thinking about the libtards in Grinnell.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Brownell’s should pack up and move away, they aren’t wanted evidently. That way they take their donation cash, AND more importantly, their TAX money away from the community that doesn’t want to be associated with their evil.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I wonder how much he was donating in the hopes to keep the criticism down over the years.

Well, or how much is due to his wife's interests, etc?

Honestly, from this article alone, I have no idea how much criticism there really even is, since it is written with an obvious slant, that may or may not really reflect the true situation.

Somehow I had a picture of Idaho in my mind of not being a very liberal state, but then obviously there are plenty of states that are very skewed by specific city populations, etc, when the larger state doesn't really lean that way. Washington State, Illinois and others come to mind.

Top Bottom