• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’d like to buy an Air Rifle. Something for fun back yard shooting. Maybe something to use for small game.

What do I need to know? I see there are different calibers. BB, pellets in .177, .22, etc...

I don’t know anything about air guns.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you want something for pest control, you'll almost assuredly want a pellet gun.

If your pests include rabbits, then a .22 or .25 cal will do better than the .177 cal.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Just picked up a Gammo Rocket Whisper for 99 at Bass Pro.

I'm sure it's a step up from my Crosman 750. I'll try to remember to post more after I go out and shoot.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    I know a good amount about them.

PCP cost the most money, has the most power (not velocity), and comes in single shot, lever action with magazines (bolt, lever, cocking arms) and semi-auto or full auto.
    Springers use a cocking arm to set a spring or piston. They are cheap, but the spring action adds to the felt recoil before the pellet leaves the barrel which can cause a huge amount of spread.
    Pumps are the cheapest and pretty much just for backyard goofing off.

Price wise, for a small game suppressed PCP in 22, 25 or 30, you are looking at $300 for the rifle $300 for the re-filler air tank (you need to pay Fire Departments to fill your tank or scuba shops), or about $150- $300 for a pump and I hope you are in good shape cuz it takes like 100 pumps to get a rifle up to 2900 PSI...LOL If you want a big game PCP, like 9mm, 45 or 50 cal you want a break barrel or single action PCP Expect to pay for the power.

A good break barrel capable of taking small game should be about $200 - $600 for a top of the line gun.

PyramidAir is the place to shop as well as Airgun Nation.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I recently picked up a Gamo Whisper Fusion in .22 cal. Very accurate, very nice rifle. But the Gamo scopes are crap. They drift like crazy, have to tweak them constantly. Just about any scope out there is an improvement. Do yourself a favor and change the Gamo scope with a moderate quality rimfire scope.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Look at Benjamin Sheridan pellet rifles. I've had one since I wasn't kid. Very accurate and powerful.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I’d like to buy an Air Rifle. Something for fun back yard shooting. Maybe something to use for small game.

What do I need to know? I see there are different calibers. BB, pellets in .177, .22, etc...

I don’t know anything about air guns.

Playing in the back yard in a typical city neighborhood may require something different than small game capable. CMP has rebuilt Daisy 853 rifles for sale to the public for about $120 delivered to your door. They are single stroke, pump rifles, not springers, dovetailed for iron sights or scope, and come with a set of Daisy peep sights. Lots of fun from 10-20 yards, and not so loud the neighbor complains. the lower velocity also allows for indoor fun in basement or garage in inclement weather (with proper backstop of course). And it will often cluster 5 shots at 10 meters.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you get a springer, learn how to hold them. They are a different animal. You want to rest them on your support hand let them flex when fired, not gripping the foregrip like a standard rifle. I've noticed they are trickier to shoot accurately.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I would get a ruger America 22 bolt and load it with CCI quiet ammo and running though a suppressor.:D That round comes out at just over 700fps and is hands down quieter then any pellet gun. I have a Sheridan which may or may not be the same as Benjamin. Its a 22cal pellet and will last a long time

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would get a ruger America 22 bolt and load it with CCI quiet ammo and running though a suppressor.:D That round comes out at just over 700fps and is hands down quieter then any pellet gun. I have a Sheridan which may or may not be the same as Benjamin. Its a 22cal pellet and will last a long time

And the price and time he has to wait is an order of magnitude longer than any pellet gun. (not to mention the stamp headaches)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you get a springer, learn how to hold them. They are a different animal. You want to rest them on your support hand let them flex when fired, not gripping the foregrip like a standard rifle. I've noticed they are trickier to shoot accurately.

Support hand is an open platform ... regardless of the rifle used ... I know you've heard about this from someone in the not too distant past.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'd really love to get a nice pellet rifle that could either be manual pump only or manual pump + whatever other option. I just don't want to have to depend on any external sources. I want a nice powerful one though--any recommendations?

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    I'd really love to get a nice pellet rifle that could either be manual pump only or manual pump + whatever other option. I just don't want to have to depend on any external sources. I want a nice powerful one though--any recommendations?

You really have to start with a price bucket. Pumps really dont get the velocity up to "fun level". Get a Break barrel with a silencer or side cocker. Here is an example in the good price range.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_SBD_NP2_Air_Rifle_Combo_Wood_Stock/4432#8606

or

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Winchester_1400CS_Air_Rifle_Mossy_Oak_Camo/3370

Top Bottom