• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So, I stopped by the newly refreshed Gander Outdoors in Castleton today after work today. I was just going browse a bit, to kill some time before dinner.

Now, the visit didn't start that great, as no sooner had I walked in the door, I was getting the hard sell of their "Good Sam" club membership. It was a bit off putting. During the sales pitch, the guy mentioned that it was bucket day, where anything you can fit in a 5 gallon bucket gets an extra 5% off (excluding firearms). I figured 5% off old Gander's prices would still be about 25% over normal retail, so I extricated myself and went to browse the firearms section.

There's where the visit got way better. I started looking at the ammo prices and was surprised to see they weren't really that bad, certainly not really higher than I've seen at Walmart. On top of that, there were some additional sales ("Good Sam" member pricing), with a few things that I was a bit surprised to see (like Aguila mini-shell buckshot rounds on sale).

I then moseyed over to the gun counter and started looking. I got to the end with the used guns and stopped. There was a a Beretta 21a .25 ACP for $113.99. I had to look twice, thinking I misread and clearly it was $313.99. But nope, $113.99... for a Beretta 21a. Crazy.

The guy behind the counter saw me looking at it and said they had literally just put in the cabinet a few minutes before. Having learned my lesson about walking away from great deals, I told him I would take it on the spot and gave him my license.

Since they already had me, I went ahead signed up for a 3 year membership (which gave me a $25 gift card and an additional 5% off today) and told them to give me a bucket.

By the time I walked out, I had about 4000 rounds of .22 LR (at just about $.04 a round), 100 rounds of Remington 00 Buckshot (at about $.57 a round), and 4 boxes of the Aguila buckshot mini-shells for about $13.50 a box. And, of course, a Beretta 21a .25 ACP for $113.99 plus tax.

So, will they maintain this level of pricing and service? I guess I'll find out over the next 3 years my membership is valid.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Nice to read that you found good deals at the new Gander. Of course now I will have to head over there to see for myself. :D :D :D :D :D

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Ive been to Gander in Ft Wayne several times over the last few months and have also had a good experience.

The prices are internet competitive on many of the items I looked at and there were plenty of people trying to help at all times.

I enjoyed the visits and have purchased the membership and multiple goodies.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I get the ads, unfortunately there isn’t one close to me. Looks like with the membership, there are some good deals to be had from time to time. Good to see that’s they are competitive.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have to say that I echo these sentiments as well. Just bought a S&W Victory SW22 pistol there for $324. The same pistol at Cabela's is $500.

They did not have much in the way of reloading supplies, but they told me that I could shop online and have it delivered to their store and bypass the hazmat fee.

The staff was somewhat knowledgeable too and very friendly. I gotta say that it was a GREAT experience overall.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have to say that I echo these sentiments as well. Just bought a S&W Victory SW22 pistol there for $324. The same pistol at Cabela's is $500.

They did not have much in the way of reloading supplies, but they told me that I could shop online and have it delivered to their store and bypass the hazmat fee.

The staff was somewhat knowledgeable too and very friendly. I gotta say that it was a GREAT experience overall.

Good price on the Victory.

Odd on the Cabela’s price, the last Victory I saw there was mid to high 300s. Still more than Gander and most places, but Cabela’s is all over the place on firearm pricing. For some things there are spot on where most places are and others are out in looneyville.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Good price on the Victory.

Odd on the Cabela’s price, the last Victory I saw there was mid to high 300s. Still more than Gander and most places, but Cabela’s is all over the place on firearm pricing. For some things there are spot on where most places are and others are out in looneyville.

You are right on the Cabela's pricing, at least their online price is $390 - $430 anyway. I could have sworn when I looked at Cabela's a few weeks ago they were right at $500, but I may have been mistaken.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    I saw $358 for a shield online, but I didnt go in. I was looking for EBR stuff so I Went to Hoosier Armory and bought what I needed.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Is this the same company that's anti 2nd amendment?

Yes. Sort of. It depends on if you read the CEO's (Camping World) quotes in the media or read the entire text of what he said and what his follow up statements were. You be the judge.

What I do know is that, while I am loyal to my LGS' first and foremost, Gander Outdoor has entered the brick and mortar firearms marketplace with reasonably competitive pricing and a store full of AR's at a time when most retailers are running away.

I bought a G34 (should make you happy!) when they first opened. Incentives and coupons made it less than my LGS' cost. Being in Fort Wayne, it is nice to have a big box retailer for an item that might be needed and not in stock at a LGS.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Stopped in this morning to buy mini slugs for the ksg. They're cheaper than anywhere else I've looked ($17.99) and if you were a member they were $14.99. The guy helping me started talking about the membership and told me today was double discount day (Apparently they run that promotion about once a quarter) so the shells would be $11.99 and members get a $10 gift card in the mail for signing up. I went ahead and bought the $27 membership and justified it as really only spending $5 for it.

Top Bottom