• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have another area that I know nothing about and would appreciate input so I don't buy the wrong thing (like which gun :ingo:).
    I even thought about asking in WTB section for someone's "leftovers" that would do just fine for me now.

gmcttr showed me one that he had but I didn't get a chance to use it (because I wouldn't put his CZ Shadow 2 down long enough at the outdoor range in Columbus, IN to do anything else): you know the end of that story.

One issue is that if you get one not filled and have to fill it yourself: which filler to use.
    I was thinking instead of sand, a "pebble" type (I have a pillow along those lines I even thought would do, but too big) would be better for fitting around the gun an hand.
    Also, it seems like a person would need one to put the barrel of the handgun on and then a smaller/lower one directly behind it for your hand itself which would be lower, a two-tier approach, unless you can get one with enough depth to it to position/mold it to be under the gun barrel and your hand at the same time.

My questions are based on total lack of any experience/usage, so be gentle (or not). :popcorn:

I see these for $12 up to $75 (or higher).
    You know me, I like to go cheap for just utility, then later I learn better and wish I'd spend more to get something I really want but it's a growth process with me. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I realize that these have rifle applications and are fraught with issues for a handgun.

a3ca119d-dbe0-4b54-9d3b-bfb4db965c60_1.fe66e540a61fc864f663060cb26e60ca.jpeg
    5adc5aab-d6da-47e5-b5fd-8597ab455032_1.83b435acbdf623a3994eac51601fa6a6.jpeg
    1523bc57-05bb-438d-a84d-fbf0b269ddf2_1.743cb97fc1bf28a9fd57a726a5eeca85.jpeg
    94cacb17-cb51-4249-910e-d6502dab3d17_1.dd465527164aaeebbb290c7876235907.jpeg

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I use the Caldwell version you have pictured. Bought it off of flea bay unfilled. Filled it with poly pellets from Michaels' but that stuff adds to the cost considerably. If doing it again I would probably buy the filled version. Use mostly for rifle from a bench but also use it for pistol. I have a 2" styrofoam block that I use under the front rest to get it up high enough. When using it for pistol indoors a hard pistol case helps get it high enough so that I don't have to hunch over as far or I use my range bag.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've got a HySkore Pivoting Pistol Shooting Rest which for reasons unknown I rarely use.

I almost always use a Caldwell DeadShot Front Shooting Rest Bag with just my wrists supported by the bag. This lets the gun react to my hold and trigger press to better test my accuracy while the HySkore, which directly supports the gun, is probably better at displaying the guns inherent accuracy.

I believe the 'wrist rested on bag' method is better for adjusting sights to shoot POI at POA because this can be effected by my hold and trigger press.

All target photos I have posted and stated they were shot from a rest used the 'wrist rested on bag' method.

Nylon fill (pricey bought by itself and my favorite), untreated corncob tumbling media and rice (don't get it wet) are common bag fills.

Any type of sand has or will have dust which bleeds through cloth bags and is dirty and tough on gun finishes.

If you rest the barrel of a pistol on a bag make sure the muzzle extends beyond the bag to insure you don't shoot the bag and to prevent muzzle blast damage to the bag.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I use the Caldwell version you have pictured. Bought it off of flea bay unfilled. Filled it with poly pellets from Michaels' but that stuff adds to the cost considerably. If doing it again I would probably buy the filled version. Use mostly for rifle from a bench but also use it for pistol. I have a 2" styrofoam block that I use under the front rest to get it up high enough. When using it for pistol indoors a hard pistol case helps get it high enough so that I don't have to hunch over as far or I use my range bag.

1. Thanks for the input!

I've got a HySkore Pivoting Pistol Shooting Rest which for reasons unknown I rarely use.
    I almost always use a Caldwell DeadShot Front Shooting Rest Bag with just my wrists supported by the bag. This lets the gun react to my hold and trigger press to better test my accuracy while the HySkore, which directly supports the gun, is probably better at displaying the guns inherent accuracy.
    I believe the 'wrist rested on bag' method is better for adjusting sights to shoot POI at POA because this can be effected by my hold and trigger press.
    All target photos I have posted and stated they were shot from a rest used the 'wrist rested on bag' method.
    Nylon fill (pricey bought by itself and my favorite), untreated corncob tumbling media and rice (don't get it wet) are common bag fills.
    Any type of sand has or will have dust which bleeds through cloth bags and is dirty and tough on gun finishes.
    If you rest the barrel of a pistol on a bag make sure the muzzle extends beyond the bag to insure you don't shoot the bag and to prevent muzzle blast damage to the bag.

1. Hey, my friend! Good to get your input.
    2. I had to laugh about the "muzzle extends beyond the bag" comment: I actually thought of that, plus the gun resting on the bag could put a drag on the slide as well.
    3. Since I enjoy accuracy, I want to get some sort of bag set up, and then learn to adjust sights, some guns seem very easy (reading), but some look like special tools and brain surgery. At this point I don't know whether some of my guns are more accurate than others or whether they are simple "tuned" in better, of which I hope a gun rest (or two to make it work) will settle that question for me.
    4. When I read about very experienced shooters not knowing whether it is them or the gun I didn't feel so badly.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i took a old pair of jeans and cut the legs off, sowed up the legs and waist then filled with pea gravel and zipped it up. then put a stitch in the zipper to keep it in place. cut the legs in half and made 2 smaller bags. they are heavy. i keep them out side at my back yard range. you could fill them with something lighter. it was free to me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I went to that site, and there is so much there, but I didn't see any prices?

i took a old pair of jeans and cut the legs off, sowed up the legs and waist then filled with pea gravel and zipped it up. then put a stitch in the zipper to keep it in place. cut the legs in half and made 2 smaller bags. they are heavy. i keep them out side at my back yard range. you could fill them with something lighter. it was free to me.

2. Now that is practical!!!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Before 'Super Duper' bags came along, we all used bags of lead shot.

When we used sand (weight savings),
    I normally tried to use silica (sand blasting) sand.
    It doesn't hold moisture, easy dries since it's not open pour like construction sand often is.
    Glass shot blasting beads work really well for this application, easy to dry and clean if needed.

In the Marines, we often used a 'Sand Sock', which is just what it sounds like.
    A piece of women's panty hose, slid inside of a military sock, filled with sand.
    When we did long range patrols, we filled bags with beans & rice, being light and edible, it extended our patrol times if needed.

In improvised shooting positions, we used 'Butt Packs', whip off the patrol pack and use it for a rest.

My bench rest bags say out with the benches, so they will draw moisture, but not hauled around, I still use lead shot.
    The bags I haul around has sand since I'm not interested in weight lifting when I'm supposed to be shooting.
    I perfer heavy leather, simply because I like leather, no other reason. I'm sure heavy nylon would work, & might survive damp weather better, but I like leather...

Now, I'm aware there is a huge variety of bags available, and if the production fits your needs, are often reasonable priced.
    I have my screw ball bags made at a shoe & canvas shop. Tie downs & tabs where I need them, made tough as nails, reasonable costs & precisely fit my shooting stands, etc.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Free tip : don't rest the gun or any part of it on the bag - only your wrists and/or forearms should be on the bag. If the gun is rested on the bag it will change the point of impact relative to the sights because the gun will recoil differently. Trust me on this.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Free tip : don't rest the gun or any part of it on the bag - only your wrists and/or forearms should be on the bag. If the gun is rested on the bag it will change the point of impact relative to the sights because the gun will recoil differently. Trust me on this.

1. What about the type like this:

attachment.php

1. Is the barrel resting on the "V" going to do the same as resting the barrel on a bag gun rest?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    My experience for many years has always been that if any part of a handgun is resting on something it will change the point of impact from what you get when shooting off of your hands. The barrel experences torque and lift as the bullet pushes through the rifling. If it is not allowed to move exactly like it does when it is handheld it will change the POI - not a lot but enough to see and enough to require readjusting the sights. I used to test match guns our shop built in a Ransom Rest. Even that, as good as it is, will print differently than hand held. The Ransom Rest only removes all human error. But when you hand shoot the gun that human error is present. It's the same reason why I can set the sights perfect for one person but when shot by someone else - they're off.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    1. What about the type like this:

attachment.php

1. Is the barrel resting on the "V" going to do the same as resting the barrel on a bag gun rest?

Yes.

...I almost always use a Caldwell DeadShot Front Shooting Rest Bag with just my wrists supported by the bag. This lets the gun react to my hold and trigger press to better test my accuracy while the HySkore, which directly supports the gun, is probably better at displaying the guns inherent accuracy.

I believe the 'wrist rested on bag' method is better for adjusting sights to shoot POI at POA because this can be effected by my hold and trigger press....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My experience for many years has always been that if any part of a handgun is resting on something it will change the point of impact from what you get when shooting off of your hands. The barrel experiences torque and lift as the bullet pushes through the rifling. If it is not allowed to move exactly like it does when it is handheld it will change the POI - not a lot but enough to see and enough to require readjusting the sights. I used to test match guns our shop built in a Ransom Rest. Even that, as good as it is, will print differently than hand held. The Ransom Rest only removes all human error. But when you hand shoot the gun that human error is present. It's the same reason why I can set the sights perfect for one person but when shot by someone else - they're off.

1. Confusing.
    2. Why would they make a gun rest that will give results not applicable in the real world?
    3. I see hunting rifles that are in a fixed "vice." Why wouldn't they experience the same inaccuracy when put into human hands b/c of "torque?"
    4. Now I'm not sure what to do.
    5. Thanks for the heads-up!

6. So, that's a "No" to any type of gun rest where the barrel "rests" on a fixed point, and only your hands/forearms should be "resting."
    So, don't get this:
    attachment.php

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Because a rifle's reaction to recoil and torque is completely different than a handgun. A handgun's barrel rises much faster and is affected by more torque than a heavy rifle and the bullet may not clear the barrel in time to leave the muzzle before it starts climbing. You could clamp a handgun tightly in a fixed rest but it will not print to the same POI as when handheld. It's not a case of "inaccuracy" - it's about where you set the sights for shooting off hand. For informal testing I just use an old backpack stuffed with old clothes or an old Carhartt jacket I keep in the truck.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I I’m understanding Drail correctly, a rested barrel will experience of apoint if impact shift not necessarily a change of accuracy.

If the pistol is sighted to impact dead center for you, it may be impacting 2” high or left or some other direction. The point being that it’s not hitting the same spot when tested as it does free hand.

In theory, you can still determine the mechanical accuracy using the rest but group will be in a different spot on the target. You’ll have to measure the groups to determine how well it shoots. I’m curious, does the torqueing of the barrel that causes he POI shift not effect accuracy at all?

If all you want to do is determine the mechanical accuracy of the pistol, a rested barrel would probably suffice. But don’t use it to adjust the sights because of the POI shift.

Does that sound correct Drail?

Top Bottom