• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I’m not a lawyer. But I don’t believe a restraining order has any impact on your license to carry. You just cannot approach that person armed or not.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Having a restraining can effect whether or not you can carry, and also can lose all gun rights until the restraining order is lifted..

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    IANAL, but I think it depends on the specifics of the order. Are you talking about a normal Order of Protection (I believe the term Indiana uses) or something like the Red Flag laws (referred to as "Jake Laird's Law" in Indiana)?

Here's some basic info on Orders of Protection: https://www.indianalegalservices.org/node/17/general-information-about-orders-protection

For Indiana's Red Flag Law, just Google "Laird's Law Indiana," and you should get the info you need. Laird's Law specifically deals with firearms. That one would definitely stop you from carrying as it removes firearms from one's possession and suspends one's LTCH.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Generally, someone in the position of having a restraining order taken out against them needs an attorney ASAP. There are certain findings that could be sent to the ISP, which might then suspend the LTCH. A lawyer can get direct access and information regarding the restraining order, and the process that led to it, and provide the answer. That is the only way.

This is not legal advice to you or anyone else.

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    A. You have 30 days to ask for a hearing.
    B. The order will have a Brady Bill box saying whether you can possess or not.

If you cohabited, it's an automatic no guns.

It is about having or not having guns. They will take all of yours if it's a no gun order.
    Normal time is two years, but can be longer.

Only options then are small stun device or pepper spray.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    IANAL
    Show up to the hearing and do everything you can to keep from having a protective order. You can be Brady disqualified (no guns allowed) as a condition of the order which obviously is even more than losing your license to carry.

I would be talking with an attorney.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    If you have a restraining order against you, do not be a fool and represent yourself. Heed these three words NOW: GET A LAWYER!!!

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Them getting the order isn't the problem.

Has it been served to you yet? If so, find a lawyer.

If it hasn't been served yet... If they can't find you, it can't be served. If it can't be served, it can't be enforced.

Did you get one back? Ya gotta get one back...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Them getting the order isn't the problem.

Has it been served to you yet? If so, find a lawyer.

If it hasn't been served yet... If they can't find you, it can't be served. If it can't be served, it can't be enforced.

Did you get one back? Ya gotta get one back...
    Instead of this, it is most advisable to get an attorney no matter what.

If you are not an attorney, you probably don't actually know whether you've been served or not.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I didn’t have an attorney when my ex wife tried to get me with a restraining order. I just went to the hearing and showed the judge an itemized phone bill where she had called my phone 170 times in 31 days, versus the 3 calls I had made to hers. That judge was pissed when I showed him that! He told me I could go ahead and leave, and was tearing into her pretty good as I walked out. That was 15 years ago, so I wouldn’t consider going in without an attorney now, but it can work out for you IF you are in the right, and the judge is willing to call out BS. Not a risk I would take at this point in my life.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Generally, someone in the position of having a restraining order taken out against them needs an attorney ASAP. There are certain findings that could be sent to the ISP, which might then suspend the LTCH. A lawyer can get direct access and information regarding the restraining order, and the process that led to it, and provide the answer. That is the only way.
    Woohoo! OP’s getting some free legal advice!

This is not legal advice to you
    Well damn... sorry OP. At least I got some free legal advice.

or anyone else.
    SON-OF-A... :xmad:

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    FYI for everyone. In Putnam County copies of all of the statements supporting the order are mailed by the court clerk. I don't know if others are different.
    And, not advice; legal fact. If you ever cohabited, Brady is automatic. Not a court option.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom