• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Never place yourself in a situation where your last line of defense is your firearm. She should never have gotten off the bike. She did the right thing by shooting him to save her life, dont get me wrong on that...but I feel she had more options open to her before it got that far.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Good on her for living to see another day, but the reporting is just not good. Although, part of it is that she kinda doesn't make sense.

Clearly, she DID think, at some point, about her personal safety and that she might be made a victim. If she had - literally - "never" thought of it, she wouldn't have been armed. She wouldn't have had a carry permit. She wouldn't have the firearm accessible.

Glad she got cleared; glad the media is carrying the story. Some other group should use it as part of a marketing campaign.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I will wait for the rest of the story..... the real story.

It was at this point that Bowlin suddenly remembered that she had a firearm. She knew that she had to save her life.

NO... if this is true, then she is a huge dumbass. Nobody "suddenly remembered" you're carrying a gun.

Is your gun just like some lost chapstick?
    .... a hair tie?
    ..... dry cleaning ticket?
    ....... spare house keys?

(in my big stupid giant voice) - "Oh Ya! I have a gun right here in my jacket. I forgot it was there." :facepalm:

- No! No! No! That didn't happen.

Pyro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2018
    Indy
    Never place yourself in a situation where your last line of defense is your firearm. She should never have gotten off the bike.

The way I read it she got off the bike when she saw him coming for her in stopped traffic. She couldn't ride away and it was still better to face them head on rather than get hit from behind.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ..., but the reporting is just not good. ....

It does sound like a high school student's attempt to jazz up a homework assignment. At least, when I went to high school. A long time ago.

ETA: Now that I've read and googled it, I remember when this happened, back in Feb. Probably a thread on it already here someplace. Apparently the actual news in this latest article is the GoFundMe page for her PTSD counseling.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It does sound like a high school student's attempt to jazz up a homework assignment. At least, when I went to high school. A long time ago.

ETA: Now that I've read and googled it, I remember when this happened, back in Feb. Probably a thread on it already here someplace. Apparently the actual news in this latest article is the GoFundMe page for her PTSD counseling.

I was wondering why a February story was news just now.

I can't remember is we had a thread on it but the guy that shot and killed another guy at the drive-thru at the Bedford McDonalds was found guilty just earlier this week or late last week. Another "road"-rage incident. Only this time the bad guy was the one with the gun.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Never place yourself in a situation where your last line of defense is your firearm. She should never have gotten off the bike. She did the right thing by shooting him to save her life, dont get me wrong on that...but I feel she had more options open to her before it got that far.
    If she stays on the bike the bike could have fallen on her then she could be pinned down.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Back when the mimeograph was state of the art. :D

Wow. I just remembered how the blue ink smelled, and reminded me of the first day of school (which coincidently was yesterday in my locale). I always noticed it the first day of school, I guess because the teachers had been busy making handouts, then got used to it for the rest of the year and forgot about it.

Retro moment.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

If she stays on the bike the bike could have fallen on her then she could be pinned down.

Looking back at stories of the time, they had come to a stop because of backed up traffic on the freeway, and the SUV was angled to impede forward progress. It's been a long time since I was on a motorcycle, but I don't think I would stay on the bike to deal with some angry somebody walking up on me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't deny her right in this situation. If it was as she said from the time he got out and approached her then I call it a good shoot. The other side of me sees a picture of a cocky little **** on a sport bike and I lump her into the group of other cocky little ****s on sport bikes doing dip**** stuff that they happily post on youtube and I have to ask myself; what is the REST of the story. I seriously doubt that this jackass just suddenly decided to start harassing her for NO reason.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The biker had a right to defend herself, but her statements that she "didn't believe" that she flipped the man off, and "suddenly remembered" that she had a firearm lead me to believe that we're not getting the full story.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seems like dead dude's wife (or girlfriend or whatever) who was also in the SUV would've been an important perspective. I figure if the cops talked to her, and still felt like the biker chick was in the clear, then it was probably a good shoot.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Given that traffic was at a stop, there were probably other witnesses as well that more or less corroborated the biker's story. Here is the prosecutor's news release on his decision: https://www.co.pierce.wa.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=3700

Prosecuting Attorney Posted on: March 16, 2018Shooting Death on I-5 – No Charges Filed

TACOMA, WA – Today Prosecutor Mark Lindquist announced no charges will be filed against Aubrey Tayler Bowlin in connection with the shooting death of Bruce W. Jones on February 8, 2018 by the side of Interstate 5. Ms. Bowlin said she acted in self defense and, given the evidence, the Prosecutor’s Office office can not prove otherwise.

According to witnesses, the altercation began when Mr. Jones became upset at how Ms. Bowlin was driving her motorcycle on I-5 on February 8, 2018. He boxed her into a location she could not drive away from. After exiting his vehicle, he aggressively approached her on the shoulder of Interstate 5.

The fight that followed was initiated by Jones. At some point, Bowlin head butted Jones, who then drove Bowlin's head into the jersey barrier before taking her to the ground. Bowlin shot Jones once in the chest when he attempted to climb on top of her.

“This is another reminder to everyone to keep a cool head on our roads,” said Prosecutor Mark Lindquist. “Nothing good is going to come from physically confronting another driver.”
    For more information, please contact James Lynch at (253) 798-6265, jlynch@co.pierce.wa.us.

She may very well have been a smartass biker (seems to be no shortage there), but getting out of your car and pounding her into the pavement is probably not in order.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Wow. I just remembered how the blue ink smelled, and reminded me of the first day of school (which coincidently was yesterday in my locale). I always noticed it the first day of school, I guess because the teachers had been busy making handouts, then got used to it for the rest of the year and forgot about it.

Retro moment.
    The smell, that mimeograph smell, the whole classroom. Smelled like...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Woman saves her own life during road rage attack on I-5

Not sure what to make of the situation and the escalation, but this does demonstrate the power of an armed female against a larger attacker.

Stupid world out there. Things that shouldn't be polarizing like motorcycling and armed self defense are sure to bring out the drum beaters on either side.
    Finally, a local prosecutor who did not have his brains up his rectum regarding self defense and this lady’s situation. Peace, out!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wouldn't remember if I made a particular gesture in the past.

And, while it's not a gun, I've forgotten I've had a knife on me, many times.
    It gets the ire of security if I'm going through a metal detector.

Top Bottom