• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I have a question about what a realistic round count (say, monthly) through a handgun would be. I've owned my first and only gun, a CZ 75 Compact PCR, for about 5 months now, and try to go to the range every week. I run through drills that I have been shown during training, as well as what I've seen here on INGO and elsewhere on the internet. When I first started, I would put 100 rounds downrange per session, but quickly got to the point where I felt cheated when finished--I WANTED MORE. I now take 200 rounds with me each week, and I figure that my round count through the gun is around 4000. (And not a single problem!:)).

I'm not looking for a pat on the back nor a kick in the dupa, just using my experience as a reference. In a way, for me, shooting now is similar to golf when I played: I love to practice. Heck I enjoy cleaning the gun after every visit to the range. I understand that I am most likely an exception in the gun community in that I only own one firearm, but even if/when I do add another firearm (or two), my intent would be to treat them the same way.

But I see quite a few ads, maybe the majority, listing guns for sale or auction with what seem to me like extremely low round counts through them. I am by no means doubting the veracity of such listings, I am just puzzled. It seems like grilling the perfect rib eye, and just leaving it on the grill, or marrying the most beautiful woman in the world and...well...

Thanks for reading the ramble.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Many people buy guns to own guns, not shoot them regularly.

Some people have a lot of guns and only shoot one or two regularly.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When i hit the range i usually take 4-5 handguns with me along with a few rifles as well. So i generally run between 50-100 rounds thru each with my edc seeing closer to 150 rounds each time. About twice a month is all i get to the range too. I try to give them all a little love, so the next range time it might be a few different handguns than the time prior.
    I can see running a lot of rounds thru a single dun if that is all you own

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    If I am just at the range, I will be satisfied shooting 100 rounds. It just isn't as fun as a competition (even though I suck)!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    ....Some people have a lot of guns and only shoot one or two regularly.

For better or worse, I probably fall into this category. I have a few guns that have been shot ALOT and alot of guns that have just a few rounds. My new EDC piece has 850 rounds in less than three months. My Ruger Blackhawk has less than 50 rounds in 30 years.

Some that don't get shot much might have been bought to have, or a speciality purpose (like a big game hunting caliber) or something I just didn't care to shoot for whatever reason but kept.

Oh...that PCR....isn't that just a sweet sweet gun! No wonder you are going through ammo at an increasing rate!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think I might have a few guns laying around the house that I have owned for several years and never shot them. I have others that I took out one time, shot a few mags through it, cleaned it and stored it away.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have multiple copies of my preferred guns. I have guns with around 60k rounds. I have guns with less than 50. I don't want to put a bunch of rounds on my carry/duty gun, so a duplicate gets used for training.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You lost me at cleaning the gun after every range trip. :):

This.

My original M&P, purchased in 2012, has nearly 30k rounds through it. I’ve quick-cleaned it (toothbrush of hoppes and sprayed off with brake cleaner) a hand full of times and deep-cleaned exactly twice. Replaced the recoil spring at about 20k... not because it needed it, but it seemed like a good idea.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Buy guns and not shoot them or rarely? Yep. Guilty as charged.
    I shoot the hell out of my carry and home defense guns to make sure I know the ammo they will run and like, and zero them or test function so i will trust them. And more importantly make myself intimately familiar with them in pitch black or broad daylight not only shooting but reloading and clearing malfunctions. Dry fire drills are so important in this and no one has an excuse not to be doing it. It's free and can be done anywhere.
    People need to shoot their carry guns before they carry them. Do not trust your life to an assembly line worker. Please go to the range and run a box of range ammo and some carry ammo through your gun. Yeah I'm preaching but I promise you it's coming from me in true care for your life.
    I like to shoot at least 200 to 300 rounds through my pistol at the range trip. If I'm only going there and in 15 to 20 minutes I've only banged 100 rounds through my gun I feel like what's the point. I feel I've wasted a trip. This is me personaly.
    100 rounds a week is not adequate practice for my personal standard. I'm not going to tell anyone else what their own standard should be. I'm sure there are some of you who havent shot in 6 months or more and you could outshoot me. But for me I MUST feel confident and intimate with my weapon. It is an extention of me. I can mentally complete a range session and truly mentally be there, without even firing a shot in real life. That is what I am trying to maintain by shooting weekly and hopefully twice a week.

As far as cleaning my glocks after every range trip? Nope. That's just a waste of my time. It just does not need to be done. It serves no purpose

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    This.

My original M&P, purchased in 2012, has nearly 30k rounds through it. I’ve quick-cleaned it (toothbrush of hoppes and sprayed off with brake cleaner) a hand full of times and deep-cleaned exactly twice. Replaced the recoil spring at about 20k... not because it needed it, but it seemed like a good idea.
    Could be that I am overdoing the cleaning, but I honestly do enjoy field-stripping and cleaning my heater. I feel it helps us to bond.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I have multiple copies of my preferred guns. I have guns with around 60k rounds. I have guns with less than 50. I don't want to put a bunch of rounds on my carry/duty gun, so a duplicate gets used for training.
    Now *there* is a great idea! As soon as I get past this unemployment thingie, I will look into getting a sister gun for my PCR. Maybe get a P01 as an almost-identical partner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's somewhat surprising how many people buy a gun and never shoot it. I can't say I own anything that hasn't been fired. I would say I have a limited number of guns that have seen more than 2k rounds. But the ones that have seen more than that are looking at like 10-15k plus. I have some because I want them/justify them and others because I shoot the crap out of them/use them.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    For the last year and a half I've been making it a point to shoot regularly and often. Currently I'd say I'm shooting about 750 rounds per month. I've had some months where I've been over 1,000 and some months where I've been around 500. But generally I'm getting to the range 6+ times per month. Having a membership at ACC has pushed me toward those numbers.

I've got about 8,000 rounds through my main gun (Beretta M9A1) and most of that has come since February of 2017. My Beretta Elite LTT that I got a month ago has 1,000 rounds through it. I'm unsure of the round counts of my other guns.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    To me, a reasonable round count is what your time, money and resources will also reasonably allow. Some folks' jobs and family responsibilities won't allow for regular range time, and some people are on a budget that limits these activities. Whenever you've got the time and finances to get to the range -or better yet, take some training classes, go for it. Just work with what you've got and it's all good! :yesway:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I couldn't begin to guess at round counts, most of my stuff has probably had several owners over it's lifetime.

Top Bottom