• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So recently I have been refocusing my training, looking for small groups has been put on back burner. Instead I am practicing drawing, moving shooting at multiple targets. It's been an eye opening experience. So I am wondering when to disengage the safty? After you clear the holster? Low ready? Or when you make the decision to pull the trigger?

Thoughts

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I practice to take it off when my support hand meets the gun. In my thinking, an ND by getting overexcited would be less likely, and it'll be ready to go before it's on target.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    When I draw I sweep the safety when my firearm comes to about 45 degrees on the way up to the aiming point. That's the training I do. It's clearly swept after it clears the holster.
    This is the routine I've used for over 40 years with a 1911.
    I now carry a Glock G19 and the safety sweep habit is still in use even without a safety lever.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This is why my carry guns don't have safeties. Don't have to think about such things. Point and shoot. No offense intended, I'm guessing you're referring to 1911 carry. But I've been wrong before. ;)
    Yes for me I have found a 1911 works best for me. I have been reading Sheep no more... And it has caused me to rethink a lot of things. But back to the topic at hand, I have moved to carrying a 1911 exclusively. And instead of looking at the latest and greatest thing I am focussing on carrying one format and doing it well.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Do you have one of those Glock 1911's i have not seen one of those in the wild yet!

They're out there..

i4Fqy5r.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Why after?

The safeties are only on while transferring them from one place to another.
    I hate Glocks and that whole "Safe" striker fire technology. If a rag or a small stick can fire my gun, that's not safe to me. I grew up with 1911s and I had no problems handling and transferring them around but the Glocks, I hated to unholster them. So I neutered them.

Could I accidentally click it on while drawing? Sure, I could also shoot my eye out with a BB gun. It's how I've trained for a while now and it works for me. Soon I will get my Sigs all situated then I'll retire my Glocks.

Did I mention I hate Glocks....

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The safeties are only on while transferring them from one place to another.
    I hate Glocks and that whole "Safe" striker fire technology. If a rag or a small stick can fire my gun, that's not safe to me. I grew up with 1911s and I had no problems handling and transferring them around but the Glocks, I hated to unholster them. So I neutered them.

Could I accidentally click it on while drawing? Sure, I could also shoot my eye out with a BB gun. It's how I've trained for a while now and it works for me. Soon I will get my Sigs all situated then I'll retire my Glocks.

Did I mention I hate Glocks....

I probably didn't mention that I am a 1911 guy. Old guy = old gun types?
    Glocks are a tool 1911s are more art. I'm past the half way point into my 60s.
    My glocks haven't rusted or gotten much uglier than when I opened the box new. I don't worry about them when I work, get sweaty, drop them, or whatever. That's what I like about Glocks... I don't give a ****.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I probably didn't mention that I am a 1911 guy. Old guy = old gun types?
    Glocks are a tool 1911s are more art. I'm past the half way point into my 60s.
    My glocks haven't rusted or gotten much uglier than when I opened the box new. I don't worry about them when I work, get sweaty, drop them, or whatever. That's what I like about Glocks... I don't give a ****.

That is exactly why I bought my Glocks.
    Out west I had 1911s. I carried them but not very often. Only on our property and I was careful then not to hurt them. (and it was illegal to carry) They were my babies and I threw way too much money into them. Complete works of art. When I got to Indiana, I could carry all the time but I was over protective of my 1911s and it was starting to effect how I walked through doorways trying not to bump them.

So, Glocks it is. I could throw them around all day long and not care. Ding, chip, bump. They're Glocks...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So recently I have been refocusing my training, looking for small groups has been put on back burner. Instead I am practicing drawing, moving shooting at multiple targets. It's been an eye opening experience. So I am wondering when to disengage the safty? After you clear the holster? Low ready? Or when you make the decision to pull the trigger?

Thoughts

There is some debate about when to disengage the safety. But universally accepted that the safety comes off after the gun is oriented towards the target. Some people do this at position 3, I have trained with others that disengage at position 4 once the hands meet.

Low Ready? Your choice. If I aggressively draw to ready I take it off. If I have been shooting and go to Low Ready I leave it off. If I were in a true Ready position or SUL or High Ready or moving around the house I would leave it on. If the gun is in immediate use safety off. If you are moving around, evaluating, etc put it back on.

Truth is I am not the best at reengaging my safety even when moving. Probably because I shoot the occasional USPSA match. Safety off does not give my heartburn because muzzle and trigger discipline are key.

Always establish your grip and shoot with the thumb on top of the safety. 1911 safeties get an undeserved bad rap. Practice establishing a proper grip and the safety takes care of itself.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've switched to Glocks also. That said, I trained and shot competitions with 1911s for many years.

Thumb always rides the safety. On top when taking it off, ready to shoot or shooting. Thumb rides under the safety assuring it's on when holstering or any other gun handling than shooting.

The safety is taken off when the gun is level on target and being "pushed out." Safety back on as the gun is still level on target, being "pulled in" towards the body.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Everything that I carry either has no safety or is DA/SA and carried decocked with the safety off. The 1911 is the only one that is carried cocked and locked with the safety on.

I shoot with my thumb riding over the safety when there is one, which makes it very natural to click off when I build my grip with my support hand before pressing the gun out. An engaged safety is awkward and noticeable and my grip won't feel right until it is swept off. Works with all of my guns and most guns I would run into, with the exception of slide-mounted safeties. But, again, those are almost all DA/SA and would be carried disengaged anyway.

Rifle safeties are disengaged when on target and engaged when moving and at all other times.

Top Bottom