Mitchell

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/08/27/640323347/the-school-shootings-that-werent

The "data" on mass shootings and school shootings is rapidly collapsing.

I wonder how much harder the data slants when you start including things like mass stabbings, suicide bombs, truck bombs, vehicle attacks, etc. If America is an unbearable hellscape of rampaging mass shooters and violence, I must admit to scratching my head over why so many people from all over the planet are clamoring to move here. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wait, culture matters more than access to guns? Well I'm utterly shocked...

cg-uoq3xaaab4wp.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I wonder if there are certain cultures in the United States that are characterized by a disproportionate level of violent crime and what the violent crime statistics in the United States would be if the statistics were bifurcated.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm......I doubt Switzerland is higher than USA. This article smells fishy.

Think per capita.

John Lott is meticulous with his research and data analysis. Very capable anti-gun rights people have been trying to poke holes in his work for a lot of years and consistently failing (and sometimes quietly conceding that he's correct). It's like the numbers he cited come from another work or something that will be released soon. Studying that should answer some questions. We could also ask him directly to explain further.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Hmmm......I doubt Switzerland is higher than USA. This article smells fishy.

As Rhino indicated, the issue with Switzerland is absolute population size. The Swiss population is roughly 1/10th that of Germany at roughly 8.2 million. They also have a high percentage of foreign traffic (roughly 2million ) It only takes a few incidents to artificially skew their percentage.

It's kind of like saying 1 in 10 people are likely to get a certain type of cancer. If your family of 4 has one person affected, Your family suddenly has a 25% rate, therefore your family is at more than double the normal risk! (Not really, but that's my point. Smaller population = smaller sample = greater margin of error.)

EDIT: For comparison, New York City - 2016 population was 8.5Million

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Switzerland's last mass shooting was in 2001. So that stat still skewed up the rate? As a country, their murder rate is near zero (~0.5). How does that even compute in per capita? I've been in that country and it is the safest country I've every in to. Yes, I know about the per capita as it makes Indianapolis look bad because of that. But Switzerland, no, I still find that hard to believe regardless of his reputation. But will look forward to the release of his study.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom