• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Was emailing with a friend, we were on the topic of guns. He is in the camp of buying them for value down the road, and rarely shoots them. He has a Wiley clap commander which sits in his safe, never to be shot. If something has been taken care of does it really hurt the value of NIB versus gently used? To me seems kind of a waste not to enjoy nice things?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Was emailing with a friend, we were on the topic of guns. He is in the camp of buying them for value down the road, and rarely shoots them. He has a Wiley clap commander which sits in his safe, never to be shot. If something has been taken care of does it really hurt the value of NIB versus gently used? To me seems kind of a waste not to enjoy nice things?

To each their own. I know a few people that bought special edition cars and parked them. That is a waste just like not running the gun. If you want value buy Gold.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    What kind of value do you think it will return? I dont know about that model but if it isnt going to appreciate more than the value youd get from shooting it having fun then whats the point?

If it is 1 of 50 or a hundred then I might let it sit.

To answer question, used is used. If you took it out of the box it isnt new.
    And that affects the price espeically on extremely collectable items.

would you pay the same for your holy grail gun still sealed in a box or if it had been shot and played with a bit?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've never understood that idea. I want to use the items I buy, I've never bought anything and just let it set. If Jesus and JMB were to descend and present me with a custom made in heaven 1911 I would still go out and shoot it. They would want it that way.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    "Special Edition" anything is basically just a marketing attempt to enable price gouging by manufacturing the illusion of scarcity or desirability.
    Basically the whole thing started with comic books. Copies of Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 are worth what they are because most of them got thrown away or recycled for the war effort. Fifty plus years later, a couple of news stories break about people finding rare comics in grandpa's attic and becoming instant millionaires, and suddenly everyone's buying initial issues of every rag out there because "they'll be worth something some day", missing the point entirely. Limited/Special/Collector's Edition branding was specifically designed to cash in on this phenomenon.

As an example, look at the Henry catalog. They've got as many special edition guns as the rest of the catalog put together almost. In a couple decades, do you really think they'll be worth any more than a stock model in the same condition?

On the topic of using something versus keeping it mint: It pains my Teutonic sensibilities to see something NOT being used for the purpose for which it was designed and built. On the other hand, if something is genuinely scarce, then it needs to be preserved for those that will come after us. You wouldn't take a mint classic car and daily drive it into the dirt, for instance. The important thing to note is, these two goals are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    To each their own. I know a few people that bought special edition cars and parked them. That is a waste just like not running the gun. If you want value buy Gold.
    Whilst I would USUALLY agree with you, to keep from being whacked with the ban hammer, if youse knows about anyone with a ‘65 AC Cobra, or ANY other era Shelby, let me know! I’d also go so far as to say Roadrunners and Daytonas as well. They’ve sat on their investment long enough.;)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What kind of value do you think it will return? I dont know about that model but if it isnt going to appreciate more than the value youd get from shooting it having fun then whats the point?

would you pay the same for your holy grail gun still sealed in a box or if it had been shot and played with a bit?
    Thats why Glocks and GOOD AR’s are pretty much all I keep inventory on.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

For me I do not see a significant appreciation in value for anything I own, but that being said I think some guns will retain a more of their value. Like others have the real value is shooting them.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

In reality most "limited edition" items do not achieve "collector status". The reason being is that many people like your friend believe they will be rare in the future. This is normally not the fact as many others feel the same way and if there is a "limited edition" of, say 1000 pieces, probably 500 will be in closets forever! This has been a sales technique for many years, most (informed) true collectors will never purchase "limited edition" items for this reason.

Personally, I would not worry about firing a NIB firearm, every one has been fired at the factory at least once, often more. I would only abstain from firing or even handling a true collectable - a very rare firearm worth at least thousands of dollars due to the fact I might damage the finish or a part of a truly collectable item as this could depreciate the item by 3, 4 or even 5 figures!

As far as the Wiley clap commander, there appears to be several on Gun Broker right now for less than the original MRSP. You can really know what a firearm will be worth in 10 ~ 20 or 30 years! As an example a few years ago I purchased a new Colt Double Eagle 45ACP in stainless steel for around $500, a little later I purchased a used Colt Anaconda SS 44 Mag for around $375, then purchased a Colt King Cobra SS .357.
    The Double Eagle was my EDC for several years (until back issues and age made it a problem to carry). It has increased a couple hundred or so in value, while the "snake guns" have tripled or more in value!

The cash value of my firearms does not affect my decisions about using them as I do not sell firearms, just collect. My collection in its entirety will pass on to my sons upon my demise...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the problem with the collector guns (or anything) is that no one knows what'll be collectible in the future, had i known that my 450 dollar anaconda would be 2500 dollars now, i'd have bought 10! or at least held onto it!

heres a prime example, back in the late 70's early 80's winchester made about a thousand collector editions, john wayne, sitting bull, golden spike, grandpa got an erection, grandma made it through the night without sh**ing the bed, and so many more its not even funny, and the john wayne and one or two others have held their value!

if singer had known that their 1911's would be 10-50 thousand today, they'd have made a lot more than 500, but the trade off would be, if they made 100 thousand 1911's, they wouldnt be worth 10-50 thousand.

you cant manufacture collectible! it has to become collectible on its own.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    the problem with the collector guns (or anything) is that no one knows what'll be collectible in the future, had i known that my 450 dollar anaconda would be 2500 dollars now, i'd have bought 10! or at least held onto it!

heres a prime example, back in the late 70's early 80's winchester made about a thousand collector editions, john wayne, sitting bull, golden spike, grandpa got an erection, grandma made it through the night without sh**ing the bed, and so many more its not even funny, and the john wayne and one or two others have held their value!

if singer had known that their 1911's would be 10-50 thousand today, they'd have made a lot more than 500, but the trade off would be, if they made 100 thousand 1911's, they wouldnt be worth 10-50 thousand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^You nailed it^^^^^^^^^^^^Could not have said it better.:yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You tell me that you have an unused weapon that you want to sell me.
    You want me to buy it unseen. Why because if I unwrap it, It would be considered USED.
    I would not buy it unseen.
    Now if you unwrap it and use it and do a through cleaning and re-wrap it.
    How am I to know. Unless you put a thousand rounds through it. NObody will know it.
    If a buyer wants it. They will pay the price for it.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Yep

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Near mint 72' Model 19-3 with the original box and tools. Nope, ain't chootin' it. For me it's enough to just admire....

WSSiMj8.jpg

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    How much is a unused 1970 Ford Fairmont? Worth 10 times the new price? A pre-64 Winchester was just another rifle until they quit making them. I have a Winchester Boy Scout commemorative because I was in Scouts, not for investment value. If you want investment value, buy stock in Amazon.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

No. Kinda like cars, sure you can have some dealership transfers but once the bill of sale's been signed, it's used. unopened is "like new" but still used. Once it's been purchased from the initial FFL, it's used. Might be unfired, lnib, anib but it's not nib.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When anything (gun, beanie baby, Elvis dinner plates) is sold as a "collectible" from new, everyone holds onto them meaning that all of them they could sell are still out there years later. Plenty of supply for the demand.

Top Bottom